Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Crate Training - How long to leave him?

Sorry I bet you're sick of my questions already.

I got Sam a crate last week (Thursday). The first night he hated it, the second he just cried for 30 mins then went to sleep. Saturday though he cried and cried. I got up and put him outside incase he needed a wee, which he didn't, then put him back in and went back to bed. He carried on crying most of the night.

So much so, he's lost his voice a bit, and makes wheezing Darth Vadar sounds when he whines now.

From what I've read I'm supposed to ignore his cries, or take him for a wee but not speak to him.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing it like control crying for a baby and going back every 10/20 mins to calm him down then leave again?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Sorry may have missed previous posts, how have you set up his crate and how did you introduce him to it?

The crate is meant to be their safe quiet place, he should want to go in there. Personally I wouldn't have locked him in it until he was happy to be in there.
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2010, 01:55 PM
He does seem happy in it, he goes in there to sleep during the day without having to be told, he has his bed and teddy in there, and a bit at the front with a puppy pad (not that he's ever weed in there yet).

It's just when he looks out and there's no one there that he gets upset.

(It's in the living room BTW).
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2010, 02:01 PM
How was he before you introduced the crate? would he do the same. I put a cover over mine, its supposed to make them feel safe, may be worth a try.
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Sorry, it does have a cover over it. He was with us a week before we introduced the crate, but he seemed to like it from the off (he's even sleeping in there now ). It's just at night.

I forgot to mention I've also tried putting a hot water bottle under the blanket, but that didn't make a difference last night.
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Ruby also had a cover over her cage when younger, she still does have it for night. I found it settled her alot quicker. Also you could try putting the radio on in the background.
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
A radio might be good. I thought about leaving the TV on, but then thought the flashing light might bother him if the main light isn't on.

Hmmm, now to try and pinch a radio off the kids
Jukesgirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2010, 02:51 PM
You can always turn the colour setting down on your tv so that there is no picture and only sound - i think a radio might be better but it is an option
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2010, 03:03 PM
What I was meaning was it may be more of a seperation issue than a crate problem. Agree with the radio for sure. We leave the radio on when we go out. Maybe lock him in the crate when you are watching TV or having dinner or something for half an hour so its not just night time he gets locked in. Think the crates fine, he just doesnt want to be alone at night time, bless. A lot of perseverence he'll soon get over it x
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Touch wood! We've had two nights sleep since putting the radio in, hopefully that means we're getting there.

And today was my first full morning back at work since the holidays (I normally do a couple of hours here and there, and just two full mornings), so I put the crate in the kitchen and left the door open, so he could move about the kitchen. And when I came home he was snoozing away. The neighbour said she hadn't heard anything
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >