Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:19 AM

Are your Dogs good with other animals?

Hi all

Just wondering how your dog/s get on with other animals?

Monty is really good with most - he is great with our Cat, Tortoise and Bearded Dragon! The reptiles can all come out freely when he is around! (supervised ovbiously) At his day care he can go in with chickens (infact Chris said he was eating his bone the other day and he was sharing it with the chickens )
he is great with horses, goats, pigs and sheep (there are even lambs at day care at the mo)

Infact the only ones he will chase are birds in the field and on occasion wild rabbits - however he does stop when told!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Mine are good with horses, they have to be as I have 7 of them,lol.

My collie hates sheep with a passion, and will go after anything smaller than her.
My retriever x is interested in the turtle and tortoise but doesn't touch as I ask him not to.
I got my Tort out the other day with my dalmatian pup and bless him Cooper ran away from him
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Oh dear, after Mo nearly killing a cat the other week, squirrels who can't get up trees fast enough, any bird who dares to land in the garden being chased off and Seals at the beach who are barked at from a very safe distance, I think the answer is ..... no
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:39 AM
my lot are good with anything really, but they have to be as they get dragged round the farm.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:41 AM
short answer no.. i havn't found any other animal that mine get on with.. even their own kind
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Fine with cats, michael will run after them but being nosy nit to chase (my own cats) suki mothered vince when he was a kitten even produced milk
ATDx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:57 AM
My dogs are great with my cats ~ in fact when we returned from a week's holiday with the dogs, the cats came running up to greet us but ran straight up to the dogs to say hello rather than us humans.

I think I could get the dogs to accept most animals with a bit of time & training as Barney has lived with house rabbits before & has a very low prey drive & Wilma is so eager to do the right thing that I'm sure we could easily teach her how to behave around other animals. They are fine with ducks, swans, chickens etc.

My only misgiving is that Barney sometimes barks out of fear at larger animals like cows & horses, but I think this could be overcome with a bit of practice.

My favourite encounter was when the dogs met some goats for the first time. The goats were obviously used to dogs & showed no fear & were more eager to see if we had anything edible on us! The dogs had absolutely no idea what the goats were ~ do we chase them, bark at them or run away?!!! In the end Wlma just ignored them & settled for a frantic mouthing of her tennis ball (displacement presumably) & Barney decided that a sort of bark come rumble was the best bet
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Bonnie doesnt bother with any other animals even tho she meets most farm/domestic animal every day.

Hector loves all the animals he meets and will go nose to nose licking them.
horses tend to be friendly with him, there are two that will always say hello to him and follow us up the field.
pigs are another love of his too.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Midge is fantastic with just about every animal. The only thing he will chase now, is a cat. He doesn't live with any other animals, but we have chickens in a pen near the garden, and he will quite happily mooch around the outside of the pen while I do my thing in the pen. He's stood 2 foot away from a pheasant, and not chased, just watched the bird hop away.

The gundogs are okay with most things, sheep, cows etc, will occasionally push their luck and try and chase rabbits, but I have to put my foot down and not let, so I can call them away from it.

Can't really comment on the 2 new terriers and lurcher, they are only young, so it's going to take some training, but I aim for none of my dogs to chase anything, as there is a lot of livestock, deer, rabbits and gamebirds all around! Saying that, OH has Tonic out at work with him, and a sheep ran near her, and she didn't bat an eyelid, but she is the oldest of the 3, so has had training from her previous owner.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Short answer no

I dont have any other animals and they dog meet any regularly so other animals are either there to be chased or they alert bark to me about them

I did lots of work to get them past fields of horses - so I guess they could be if we had any
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >