View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Regarding the argument that it is how a human feels about a dog that dictates the way it should be treated (i.e. because they are much loved pets they should not be shot):

Does that mean you think it would acceptable for a farmer to shoot a stray dog caught sheep-worrying? Or a mistreated dog, or one whose owners didn't love it? I'm afraid I cannot see the logic in this argument.

Surely how much the animal is loved is irrelevant, be it dog or sheep. You could get an unloved dog attacking a much-loved sheep, just as you could get a much-loved family pet attacking a sheep that is "just" a commodity. The action of the dog is the same, no matter who its owners, how much they love their dog, or what purpose the sheep has in life.

My dogs are not at all trustworthy around sheep or other livestock. For that reason I keep them securely on lead whenever we are in the vicinity of animals; by this I mean a lead tied around my waist to a secure harness they cannot back out of. If something were to happen that resulted in them chasing a sheep and being shot, the only person I would be angry at would be myself. I would be totally and utterly devastated, of course, but it would be unfair to judge the farmer for protecting his/her flock and acting within their legal rights.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2013, 10:38 AM
OK, so dogs are pets and sheep are just a commodity for the farmer. But they are not - they are the farmer's livelihood and as such are as important to him and his family as pet dogs are to their owners.

I love my dog desperately but if she got into a flock of sheep and destroyed any of them, I would never blame the farmer for shooting her.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
OK, so dogs are pets and sheep are just a commodity for the farmer. But they are not - they are the farmer's livelihood and as such are as important to him and his family as pet dogs are to their owners.

I love my dog desperately but if she got into a flock of sheep and destroyed any of them, I would never blame the farmer for shooting her.

Indeed I would consider it my failure, my fault. I cannot allow mine to be a nuisance to other people it's in the deeds to my home that they are my responsibility and mine alone. I don't see them attacking sheep as much different to if they bit a neighbour it would all be my fault. Sadly they would pay the highest price but money cannot compensate in many cases.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Where a dog is loose around sheep and is attacking or causing harm, unfortunately, I can see little other choice but to stop the pain and suffering continuing.

The dog is not to blame; the sheep are not to blame; the farmer is not to blame. The blame lays wholly with the owner of the dog
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Gosh some of you are so paranoid it is just a discussion - you guys wanted more so you are getting them

Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
Azz, this is such a contentious subject, and if I remember rightly, the case that you mentioned of the two dogs at the boarding kennels was discussed at length here when it happened and it seemed that some people were blocked/banned for voicing their own opinions which did not agree with yours on the matter? I beg you not to let this thread end up the same way.
Off-topic but I will address this anyway. Nobody is ever banned for their opinion on any dog related matter - if you look through our debates you will see hundreds of discussions and possibly thousands of people disagreeing with me personally - yet hardly any of them have been banned. Those that get banned do so because they break rules or continue to disrupt threads. If this wasn't the case I am sure our mods would have walked out a long time ago - because they see everything

Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Some farmers do care about their sheep and some people don't care that much about their dogs .
To you or I a dog is a family member , a best friend etc but to some folk they are just something to abuse and dispose of when they get tired of that .
Sheep to some farmers are just a business asset and to some they are more than that .
In any case even if farmers don't care about their sheep I do . They have as much right to be treated well as any other animal .
I am not saying some farmers don't care - I am just saying that our relationship with our dogs is much deeper, and having a dog shot/killed would be far more traumatic for us - so much so that it is almost incomparable.

Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I know what point you are making Azz, you are saying that the dog owner has more attachment to his pet than the farmer has to his sheep... I am not disputing that, (well for some folk anyway) but you then go on to say, because you love your dog more than a farmer loves his sheep, you should have priority over the farmer where "feelings " are concerned.

Loving your pet does not put food in your families bellies ... I am surprised at you to be honest, your attitude suggests.......... its OK for your dog to kill worry the sheep, if the farmer loses out, then all you have to di is pay for said sheep, regardless the suffering your dog has caused said sheep.
Thank you - I glad you can finally see what I am trying to say

With regards to putting food in your bellies, I see it as no different to other businesses - shop keepers lose a considerable amount to shop lifters, many can actual go bust after a ram raid - because insurance companies cap the amount they pay out OR you have to spend thousands on things like metal bollards and shutters.

Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I have always seen dogsey as encouraging responsible dog ownership but this is not responsible dog ownership at all.
How on earth did you come to that conclusion. No where have I said dog owners should stop being responsible. In fact I have specifically said the opposite - that if your dog damages someone's property you have to take responsibility and pay - which may even include prosecution.

Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
What on earth is wrong with you Azz, anyone would guess you are deliberately being controversial just to fuel an argument

What difference does it make if said farmer is in t for the money, making a living out of your livestock does not take away the trauma to said livestock that is killed/worried.

I am totally shocked at your attitude, blaming the farmer because the dog worried his sheep, but its Ok said sheep is killed and been put through trauma , because as long as your dog is OK, and you pay for the damage , its fine in your book.

I am ducking out of this thread now, as its going nowhere other than showing a side to Azz, I am very disturbed about.

Is this a forum for just dog lovers but sod the rest of the animal population if my dog hurts them, because Azz, that's the impression you are giving of yourself.
Why oh why do people have to start making personal remarks?

We all know this is a topic that I feel strongly about, so why does there have to be some conspiracy?

Can we concentrate on the topic please rather than posting digs at each other?

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
couldn't have put that better myself. I did in fact wonder if AZZ was getting a bit worried that the site would go 'very quiet' after all the brou ha ha about the over moderation etc. and was trying to create a bit of controversy and aggro himself to keep the viewing and posting figures up!

As has already been said - people do like a bit of aggro even if they don't always join in.

Or maybe he is trying to drag all those who aren't 'afraid to speak their mind' and will get stuck in with their own strong views over here into the 'new' section and away from all the others where he wants everyone to play nicely?

Whichever and whatever - I too am very surprised at not just the content but the heartless 'tone' of a lot of the posts. As someone who doesn't like to feel they are being 'manipulated' I think I too will duck out now like you and Bitkin.
Ditto my last response. No conspiracy - just a topic I feel strongly about, Tangy Pat

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I think this is Azz's normal style of posting. Pedantic and intransigent and locks threads with him having the last word. No offence to Azz he's entitled to his views but sometimes needs to take a step back and look at the wider picture.
Ditto again.

And if me trying to highlight a key, fundamental issue makes me pedantic then so be it. It is a crucial point imo, one I feel should not be swept aside.

Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Where a dog is loose around sheep and is attacking or causing harm, unfortunately, I can see little other choice but to stop the pain and suffering continuing.

The dog is not to blame; the sheep are not to blame; the farmer is not to blame. The blame lays wholly with the owner of the dog
Not always Chris, as per the news story I posted in an earlier post
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Nothing more to say I guess you see things in a very different way to most people I would suggest as the law is on the side of the sheep and the farmer too.

Sadly dogs and sheep will continue to suffer though unless we are responsible and stop our dogs being out of control.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by SneaksyWhippet View Post
Regarding the argument that it is how a human feels about a dog that dictates the way it should be treated (i.e. because they are much loved pets they should not be shot):

Does that mean you think it would acceptable for a farmer to shoot a stray dog caught sheep-worrying? Or a mistreated dog, or one whose owners didn't love it? I'm afraid I cannot see the logic in this argument.

Surely how much the animal is loved is irrelevant, be it dog or sheep. You could get an unloved dog attacking a much-loved sheep, just as you could get a much-loved family pet attacking a sheep that is "just" a commodity. The action of the dog is the same, no matter who its owners, how much they love their dog, or what purpose the sheep has in life.

My dogs are not at all trustworthy around sheep or other livestock. For that reason I keep them securely on lead whenever we are in the vicinity of animals; by this I mean a lead tied around my waist to a secure harness they cannot back out of. If something were to happen that resulted in them chasing a sheep and being shot, the only person I would be angry at would be myself. I would be totally and utterly devastated, of course, but it would be unfair to judge the farmer for protecting his/her flock and acting within their legal rights.
Hi Gemma, welcome to the discussion

No, I don't think it's ok for strays to be treated differently - because there's almost no way of (easily) telling whether a dog is a stray or not. Plus in the UK at least, a very very small percentage of dogs are strays.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post

Well said, me neither. I would blame MYSELF, but not the dog, and certainly not the farmer.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Very well said
ami_j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2013, 03:34 PM
The onus of keeping your dog safe and away from being shot is just as much your responsibility as it is the farmers to keep their livestock safe. Is it a car drivers fault if your dog is offlead and it runs out in the road and gets hit?
Page 9 of 19 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »