View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 04:05 PM
The example of dogs"escaping"from boarding kennels is not the fault of the farmer, I personally cannot understand how dogs escape from Boarding Kennels which they are being boarded-obviously the Kennels are at fault.

As for using tranquillizers being an option-sorry that isn't an option. Drugs that will drop one dog on the spot, won't touch another & the farmers would have to licensed to keep the drugs & use the dart gun.

"Only worrying"how do you think"worrying"affects the livestock ? A dog doesn't have to touch a ewe to cause it's death or the death of it's unborn offspring. Simply being chased can & does cause miscarriages & sometimes the death from the after effects of the miscarriage. A possible slow & painful & horrific death.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The example of dogs"escaping"from boarding kennels is not the fault of the farmer, I personally cannot understand how dogs escape from Boarding Kennels which they are being boarded-obviously the Kennels are at fault.

As for using tranquillizers being an option-sorry that isn't an option. Drugs that will drop one dog on the spot, won't touch another & the farmers would have to licensed to keep the drugs & use the dart gun.

"Only worrying"how do you think"worrying"affects the livestock ? A dog doesn't have to touch a ewe to cause it's death or the death of it's unborn offspring. Simply being chased can & does cause miscarriages & sometimes the death from the after effects of the miscarriage. A possible slow & painful & horrific death.
Well said.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

From what i remember, the 2 dogs were being exercised in a "secure" field which bordered a farmers field. The kennel staff noticed the dogs had got through the fence somehow and a search later discovered them both shot. The kennel and farmer had historically not been on the best of terms. The owner of the dogs returned from holiday to be told of the tragedy and the blame game started.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
From what i remember, the 2 dogs were being exercised in a "secure" field which bordered a farmers field. The kennel staff noticed the dogs had got through the fence somehow and a search later discovered them both shot. The kennel and farmer had historically not been on the best of terms. The owner of the dogs returned from holiday to be told of the tragedy and the blame game started.
The field was obviously NOT secure then was it ?

The nearest kennels to me has double security fence concreted into the ground surrounding the whole property & their secure fields have the same so the dogs would needs to be able to get through a minimum of 4 fences that are over 10 feet high with the inward sloping tops another 3 three on top of them

Like I said the Kennels fault QED
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by ami_j View Post
The onus of keeping your dog safe and away from being shot is just as much your responsibility as it is the farmers to keep their livestock safe. Is it a car drivers fault if your dog is offlead and it runs out in the road and gets hit?
A driver would have no choice in the matter. That's like saying the dog jumps in front of the farmers bullet.

Originally Posted by Apache View Post
That's very sad so personal grievance may have played a part too
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Nope the Kennels should have had Secure fencing QED
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2013, 05:26 PM
As I said somewhere way back on this thread the example given of the so called secure paddock was a poor example, the paddock was not secure and while the kennel may be judged to be at fault so were the owners for not checking the so called secure paddock. They were their dogs and their responsibility. I trust the kennels I use to care for my dogs but they don't know them and their capabilities like I do, so I check out their secure exercise paddock and satisfy myself as to it's safety. Everyone is always looking for someone else to blame. Of course there may be the rare freak accident but predominantly it's the owners lack of responsibility/ foresight that causes dogs to chase livestock.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

28-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Seriously do you think the farmer cared where the dogs had come from or do you think he saw dogs worrying his sheep and acted accordingly?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
As I said somewhere way back on this thread the example given of the so called secure paddock was a poor example, the paddock was not secure and while the kennel may be judged to be at fault so were the owners for not checking the so called secure paddock. They were their dogs and their responsibility. I trust the kennels I use to care for my dogs but they don't know them and their capabilities like I do, so I check out their secure exercise paddock and satisfy myself as to it's safety. Everyone is always looking for someone else to blame. Of course there may be the rare freak accident but predominantly it's the owners lack of responsibility/ foresight that causes dogs to chase livestock.
I agree entirely - it was completely our fault when Ben jumped out of our seemingly secure garden and attacked next door's BL. We would be negligent in the extreme if we had not taken the extraordinary measures that we have to ensure he can never do the same thing again. I learned a bitter lesson that day, and although we never use boarding kennels because we don't vaccinate our boys now, were I ever to I would be checking perimeter fencing with a fine tooth comb.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

28-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I agree entirely - it was completely our fault when Ben jumped out of our seemingly secure garden and attacked next door's BL. We would be negligent in the extreme if we had not taken the extraordinary measures that we have to ensure he can never do the same thing again. I learned a bitter lesson that day, and although we never use boarding kennels because we don't vaccinate our boys now, were I ever to I would be checking perimeter fencing with a fine tooth comb.
Exactly you don't entrust your most prized possessions to just anyone cos they tell you it's safe to do so. You do your own investigations.
Page 10 of 19 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »