View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
patterlad
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Well ive told him to take him to the vets and all he keeps saying is ill wait until tomorrow and see how he is .I went mad at him .We are not talking at the mo but i get my OH to ring his OH to see how he is.I told my mum to have a word with him as he must get that dog to the vets.
Thanks everyone for the info.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

22-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I don't think steroids are the answer long term. Could it be a slipped disk?, my dacchie had that and I would suggest a chiropractor and hydrotherapy. I agree with the brain not getting the message I was told that by the phsio who also said it sounds silly but the answer is exercise and how do you excerse a dog who can't get on his back legs "hydrotherapy" as when he is in the water he is weightless and the brain eventually gets the message that the bag legs will work. It took several months for my little boy to get back on his feet but he is still going strong at 11 years of age. albeit he walks with a sidelike gait (like a crab) but he is back on his feet and that is the most important thing to me. So if you have a Dog Physio and a Hydro pool near to where your brother lives I would give that a try. Do let us know what happens.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 05:57 AM
Oh, poor dog - he really needs the vet now...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by patterlad
Well ive told him to take him to the vets and all he keeps saying is ill wait until tomorrow and see how he is .I went mad at him .We are not talking at the mo but i get my OH to ring his OH to see how he is.I told my mum to have a word with him as he must get that dog to the vets.
Thanks everyone for the info.
Oh dear, not your fault but your brother is being very unfair on his dog who may be in severe pain. How would he like to be left for hours without a doctor if he was in pain!

Also the longer it is left, the less chance there will be of helping him...

The dog will not get better by himself, or if he does it would be highly unusual.

I believe it's actually more or less law that an owner has to provide care for an animall and must not leave them to suffer.

Good luck to you, hope you manage to drum some sense into your brother's mind.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 07:24 AM
I hope your brother realizes that this isn't something that will 'go away' I hope he listens to you soon, I am worried for the dog

The only experience I have over going lame in the back legs was with CDRM in my GSD, but I don't think that will be it as he didn't feel pain so wouldn't growl when touched.

I hope the poor dog gets to a vet soon - can you show your mum what people have written on here so she can see how concerning it is?

Good luck and hope the dog is okay
SuzanneGSD
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears
I would say that's it's probably all to do with the sciatic nerve.

This runs down the past the bum and leg, as in a person.

The reason I say this is, that Mick, my Labrador is having trouble with his back legs, he's 12.

Because he has started "knuckling" sometimes, the vet told me that the messages are not getting through from his brain, down to the sciatic nerve.

His brain is ok, (so don't panic about your dog) nothing wrong with that, it's the nerve where the messages are not getting through.

Mick has been taken off the Metacam and put on some tablets now, they're called "prednoleucotrophin PLT" .

I have been given 14 days worth.

I decided to opt for this, because although Mick is 12, he's healthly and lively in every other way, I want to help him as much as I can to keep him with me, but not to his detriment.

I felt it only fair to him, to give it a try and after the 14 days, I will take him back to the vet, so see if we carry on with them or go back to the Metacam.

The reason I've told you about Mick, is that it sounds the same time of thing, as you mention messages not getting through.

Hope this info helps a bit.

This is what is says on the web:

Uses
PLT Tablets are indicated for the treatment of osteoarthritis in the dog.

Dosage and administration
Recommended dosage is based on 25 mg cinchophen/kg bodyweight and 0.125 mg prednisolone/kg bodyweight. This equates to a dose of:
Dogs: 8 kg ½ tablet twice daily
16 kg 1 tablet twice daily
24 kg 1½ tablets twice daily
32 kg and over 2 tablets twice daily

The dose should be administered with food.
The length of treatment with PLT Tablets depends on the condition treated and the rapidity of response. If there is no improvement within the first 3 days, the dog should be re-examined by the veterinary surgeon. However, an initial treatment period should not exceed 14 days after which the dog's condition should be re-assessed by a veterinary surgeon and a 14 day treatment-free interval must be observed before continuing with further treatment. During a course of treatment the situation should be reviewed frequently by close veterinary supervision.
Owing to the prednisolone content, at the end of a treatment period, dose levels should be reduced gradually.

Contra-indications, warnings, etc
Not for use in any animal species other than the dog.
Not to be used in animals with the following conditions: Pregnancy, severe nephrosis, circulatory congestive conditions, hepatitis, previous adverse reaction to a steroid or NSAID treatment, concurrent diuretic therapy or treatment with other NSAIDs or steroids.
Systemic corticosteroid therapy is generally contra-indicated in patients with renal disease and diabetes mellitus. Should any treated animal show signs of vomiting, diarrhea, dullness or jaundice, or show no evidence of improvement after 3 days of treatment, discontinue therapy.
Anti-inflammatory corticosteroids, such as prednisolone, are known to exert a wide range of side-effects. Whilst single high doses are generally well tolerated, they may induce severe side-effects in long term use and when esters possessing a long duration of action are administered. Dosage in medium to long term use should generally be kept to the minimum necessary to control symptoms.
Steroids themselves, during treatment, may cause Cushingoid symptoms involving significant alteration of fat, carbohydrate, protein and mineral metabolism, e.g. redistribution of body fat, muscle weakness and wastage and osteoporosis may result. During therapy effective doses suppress the Hypothalamo-Pituitreal-Adrenal axis. Following cessation of treatment, symptoms of adrenal insufficiency extending to adrenocorticol atrophy can arise and this may render the animal unable to deal adequately with stressful situations. Consideration should therefore be given to means of minimising problems of adrenal insufficiency following the withdrawal of treatment, e.g. a gradual reduction of dosage (for further discussion see standard texts).
Systemically administered corticosteroids may cause polyuria, polydipsia and polyphagia, particularly during the early stages of therapy. Some corticosteroids may cause sodium and water retention and hypokalaemia in long term use. Systemic corticosteroids have caused deposition of calcium in the skin (calcinosis cutis).
Corticosteroids may delay wound healing and the immunosuppressant actions may weaken resistance to, or exacerbate existing infections. In the presence of bacterial infection, anti-bacterial drug cover is usually required when steroids are used. In the presence of viral infections, steroids may worsen or hasten the progress of the disease.
Gastro-intestinal ulceration has been reported in animals treated with corticosteroids and g.i.t. ulceration may be exacerbated by steroids in patients given non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and in corticosteroid treated animals with spinal cord trauma. Steroids may cause enlargement of the liver (hepatomegaly) with increased serum hepatic enzymes.
Gastro-intestinal upsets have been reported. Should inappetance or vomiting occur, medication should be discontinued and the dog re-examined by a veterinary surgeon.
For animal treatment only.
just watch PLTS - Sybil was on them fro 2 weeks and had severe gastric ulcerations and nearly died!
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Tell your brother he is causing pain to his dog and that is cruel He should be taken to the vets now Is there any chance you could take him maybe?
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2006, 06:39 PM
No news, hopeing the little fella is ok x
patterlad
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Archie had been to the vets today.He had an x ray but the vet said that there was no damage to spin or any bones broken but what he did find was a large lump of plastic which he removed from his backside.The vet said that was probably the cause of it as it must of been that painful he didnt want to move and when he tried to walk to move his back legs must of been hell as the plastic was quite sharp around the edges.
The piece of plastic turned out to be a piece of clothes peg.So no more hanging out washing for Archie.
Im just so relieved that he is now sorted.I just cant believe that that would cause such a problem.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Glad it wasn't anything worse,although that must of been very painful.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >