View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 09:35 AM
I think the only thing castration is definitely going to do is to stop your dog siring a litter - all the rest depends on the individual dog - history, temperament, age etc.
Your dog sounds a little anxious to me rather than pushy. Maybe taking the pressure off him in other ways would help? Train him to go to his basket when the doorbell goes, train him to lie down beside you (not in front of you BTW) when you have visitors, and reward calm behaviour - praise gently. We do tend to `reward` undesired behaviour by giving the dog attention (and Gerroff! is giving attention) when he demands rather than when he`s quiet.
I`d also be looking at getting a DAP diffuser to give him calming scents, and also his diet - cutting out anything that makes him hyper.
Finally - look at the enviroment. My dogs are calm indoors because the rest of the family is calm (horizontal usually in the case of my sons ) Dogs take their cues from us. Chill!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think the only thing castration is definitely going to do is to stop your dog siring a litter - all the rest depends on the individual dog - history, temperament, age etc.
Your dog sounds a little anxious to me rather than pushy. Maybe taking the pressure off him in other ways would help? Train him to go to his basket when the doorbell goes, train him to lie down beside you (not in front of you BTW) when you have visitors, and reward calm behaviour - praise gently. We do tend to `reward` undesired behaviour by giving the dog attention (and Gerroff! is giving attention) when he demands rather than when he`s quiet.
I`d also be looking at getting a DAP diffuser to give him calming scents, and also his diet - cutting out anything that makes him hyper.
Finally - look at the enviroment. My dogs are calm indoors because the rest of the family is calm (horizontal usually in the case of my sons ) Dogs take their cues from us. Chill!
So very very very true...you can see it out and about with dogs can't you, not so much dogs looking like owners, more acting like them!
rottalmarotts
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2008, 06:15 PM
From personal experience of dogs that have been castrated to cure behavourial probs it has not helped at all the dogs I know have continued with the same probs, I think you have to alter the dogs mind set not remove his bits. I agree with Borderdawn I have a dog at training at the mo who was OK and castration has altered him and now he is fear aggressive.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2