Our sister sites
Our sister sites
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Slipped Disc or Brain Tumour

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help me or if anyone has encountered this before?

My 13yr old Jack Russell (Freckles) was struggling to move on Thursday, so i took her to the vets. The vet felt that she had either a trapped nerve or a slipped disc, as she is very tense in the neck & when she walks her back legs cross over, she walks like she is drunk.

She is already on Rymadol for her artheritis which she has as & when she needs it, he told me to keep her on that & he would see her Tuesday.

However she is a lot worse today. She is trying to walk but when she does her front legs are now giving out & she is all over the place. I took her back to see them today & the vet felt that she either had a slipped disc as his partner suggested or she has a brain tumour?

As you can imagine i am feeling a sick as a pig & very stressed. He has taken her off Rymadol & she is now on Prednicare (steroids). He looked at the records & said that when she went on Thursday she wasnt showing any neurological signs, where as today she was ie. her front legs.

If feel that she should at least have an X ray done.

If anyone can help i will be very grateful.

Freckles very worried Mum
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 06:37 PM
hope it isn't too serious and able to be treated, they can be so worrying, give her a wee cuddle from us please xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 08:01 PM
So sorry to hear this, what a worry. I think I'd ask for x-rays too if no better over the weekend. I hope it is something that can be sorted. I am sending healing vibes from all of us here xxxxxx
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
So sorry to hear this, what a worry. I think I'd ask for x-rays too if no better over the weekend. I hope it is something that can be sorted. I am sending healing vibes from all of us here xxxxxx
I agree, hopefully it is fixable. Fingers crossed for you xx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by freckles211 View Post
Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help me or if anyone has encountered this before?

My 13yr old Jack Russell (Freckles) was struggling to move on Thursday, so i took her to the vets. The vet felt that she had either a trapped nerve or a slipped disc, as she is very tense in the neck & when she walks her back legs cross over, she walks like she is drunk.

She is already on Rymadol for her artheritis which she has as & when she needs it, he told me to keep her on that & he would see her Tuesday.

However she is a lot worse today. She is trying to walk but when she does her front legs are now giving out & she is all over the place. I took her back to see them today & the vet felt that she either had a slipped disc as his partner suggested or she has a brain tumour?

As you can imagine i am feeling a sick as a pig & very stressed. He has taken her off Rymadol & she is now on Prednicare (steroids). He looked at the records & said that when she went on Thursday she wasnt showing any neurological signs, where as today she was ie. her front legs.

If feel that she should at least have an X ray done.

If anyone can help i will be very grateful.

Freckles very worried Mum
Hi hun , I lost a dog two years ago to a brain tumour and tbh your babies symtoms are different to his , He started to bleed from his nose , then he gradually started to pace up and down continually, then he lost his sight and the next day he was unable to walk or stand at all .
Tbh He had a back problem for many years he had a trapped nerve in his back which re occured every few months and this sounds very similar to his symptoms , I would ask for an xray to be done , And some blood tests , The blood tests will confirm or not whether he has a brain tumour ,
Fingers crosed hun that it is fixable ,I hope your baby recovers real soon , As I know the hell your going threw and it is heart wrenching xxxxxxxxxxdk
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Your symptoms sound a bit like my Dax. He already had CDRM so problems walking. & when he suddenly went worse they thought it was that but then he had a problem with a front foot & a head tilt & stiff neck & it turned out he'd had a problem the name of which I can't remember but its like a minor dog stroke, he's had medication for this & its given him a new lease of life, though he's obviously still very strange moving behind because of his CDRM. Hope all goes well & they are able to help your dog have a good quality of life.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 06:34 PM
When my dog had a slipped disc he was in a LOT of pain and I mean screaming. My vet told me the best type of scan for disc problems is a cat scan as ordinary x rays don't show you all the details. However an x ray would tell him if his spine was ok and possible rule that possibility out. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon as you must be very worried. All the best.
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi All

Many thanks for your best wishes & sharing your experiences with me.

Since going to the vets & having steroids freckles has really percked up. She is still a bit wobbly on her legs, but nothing like she was.

She has to go back tomorrow morning to see the vet, so i am hoping that he will be pleased & keep her on the tablets for a little while longer.

However unfortunately i dont like the fact that she is on steroids, but if it is helping her then that's great. Hopefully it will only be for a little while, just to get her totally better again.

Once again many thanks Amanda & freckles
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi again all

I took freckles back to vets today & he was very pleased with her progress. He has reduced her tablets & wants to see her in a week for a check up.

So all is looking good touch wood (just touched my head)

Many thanks again

Amanda
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by freckles211 View Post
Hi again all

I took freckles back to vets today & he was very pleased with her progress. He has reduced her tablets & wants to see her in a week for a check up.

So all is looking good touch wood (just touched my head)

Many thanks again

Amanda
Brilliant news hun.....................fingers xxxxxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >