Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 12:40 PM

Belly rash

Hi,

Archie is my one and a half year old jrt. He has fine fur on is underside. A few days ago I noticed that his belly was very red looking and he was licking like crazy at it. He had a few redder patches on it. That night I put some aloe vera gel on it and it seemed to be much better in the morning. Now last night again I noticed that he was worrying at his sides.

Checking him today his undersides are slightly pinker than usual and a kind of dry rash, his sides seem to be the same.

He's well up to date with his frontline and I can't see any "little friends".

Could this be an allergy to running in long grass, or something he ate? I tired taking a pic, but with my camera phone you can't really make it out.

If it is an allergy, how best to treat?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 12:47 PM
A product that calms the skin against allergies and hives is Doreen Paige Dermatologice Shampoo. A fantastic product that shows 90% improvement in one wash. My friend uses it on her dally who suffers with rashes and it works wonderfully.
The rash could be a number of things and a check to the vets is best, however it could be a number of things, nettles, grass etc.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Does he get wet a lot?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the replies Megan & Greyhawk.
He doesn't get soaking, but yes, his belly gets wet running through the grass on walks.

We've just come back from a walk. I then gave him a bath with some mild hibiscrub. It seems like a fine rash of small red spots. They looked a little crusty earlier, but the bath has washed all that off. I feel that there is more of it since the walk, but it could just be that it's easier to see when his fur was wet.

My sister took some pics with her camera before we went out, I'm waiting for her to email me them now.

I'll have a look for the Shampoo recommended and keep an eye on him for the next couple of days. If it keeps up beyond that or gets worse he'll be off to the vet.
Thanks guys!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Here's the pics;

nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi Evie, there's a really good shampoo on the market, it's called Sebomild P, made by Virbac.

It's good for the type of rash your dog seems to have, I've used it, and always keep a bottle in the doggies first aid box, you apply it 2-3 times a week, it's a dermatological shampoo so it's great for skin erruptions like your dog has.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Nero.