Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 06:11 AM

bullying

i am absolutely fuming about son's school. he goes to a special school and spent all of last year getting bullied by two little s****. we spent all year complaining.

went back to school yesterday and was bullied by the same two boys and had all the contents of his pencil case stolen

i am so angry i dont know what to do for the best. we have complained to the lea and the school on numerous occaisions and it still continues. really want to keep him home until they can move my son to another school

help and suggestions please

sue
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 06:57 AM
sorry to hear this Sue...what school dose he go to ?
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 07:25 AM
So sorry to hear of all the trouble with bullying again. Have you tried contacting the child psychologist (educational). My son is almost 22 and he had terrible trouble when he changfed to secondary school. The school did nothing -'they don't have bullying there' (yeah right). When the educational psychology department got involved they visited the child (on a daily basis) for some time and did some preventative work with the entire class making all of the children responsible for the welfare of each other and we really saw big changes there. May be worth speaking to them.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 07:51 AM
I would ask to see the schools anti bullying policy, and see exactly what theirs contains.

Unfortunately (although all schools MUST have such a policy) very few schools Ive more than lip service to it - they think they have done all they need to by having it in place!

Speak again to the headteacher, and if you have no joy, put it in writing, not only to the head but to the Chair of Governors and cc the head of education at your LEA (they all have different titles so I cant specify what to look for exactly).

Look up on the internet the last OFSTED report, and see what was said about the school and any mention of bullying. Is the school is due another inspection any time soon?
You can write to OFSTED and mention the bullying and the lack of interest from the school/governing body, it will be noted and looked at at any insepction/reinspection.

to help your son, they ought to be putting strategies in place to help him cope with any bullying or percieved bullying (which will affect a child as badly as the real thing), such as buddying him with another child (not always ideal in an SEN school), give him a place of safety to go to should he feel threatened, and/or a named member of staff he can go to if he feels at all worried.

look here for more info and ideas:
http://www.kidscape.org.uk/

feel free to pm me if you want a hand at putting a letter together.

hth a bit

thandi
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Aww Bless him I hope you manage to get it sorted soon x
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-09-2006, 04:51 PM
if your child has been bullied
  • calmly talk with your child about his/her experience
  • make a note of what your child says, particularly who was said to be involved; how often the bullying has occured; where it happened and what has happened
  • reassure your child that he/she has done he right thing to tell you about the bullying
  • explain to your child that should any further incidents occur he/she should report them to a teacher immediately
  • make an appointment to see your child's class teacher or form tutor
  • explain to the teacher the problems your child is experiencing

if you are not satisfied

Families who feel that their concerns are not being addressed appropriately by the school might like to consider the following steps:
  • check with the school anti-bullying policy to see if agreed proceedures are being followed
  • discuss your concerns with the parent governor or other parents
  • make an appointment to discuss the matter with the Headteacher; keep a record of the meeting
  • if this does not help, write to the Chair of governors explaining your concerns and what you would like to see happening
  • contact the director of education for your authority; the authority will be able to ensure that the Governors respond to your concerns
  • If you need further support and information at any stage or the problem remains unresolved, ring the helpline at
Parentline plus (see Organisations that can help) or other local and national support groups.
SusanW
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2006, 07:17 PM
There is nothing worse than your child being bullied

My girl was bullied from p1 to p3,,by the end of p3, my hubby wrote a letter to the school and to the local council. I was getting so stressed by it all, my health went from bad to worse, my daughter went from being a happy little girl to a girl, who would not talk or play outside.

From p4 till now, she is in p7, she has not looked back, has loads of friends and has a group of friends she plays with at home,,,and back to a normal girl

My son, who is quite sensative as he does not like shouting and rough play,,well he started to get picked on, I went to the school and said, "I was not going to go through what happened to my girl ",,,the school blamed my sone saying "He's a bit sensative and takes a lot to heart",,,Well I went home, got hubby to wright another letter and he's now doing great and just started p3. He is now fine with rough play , but still does not like the kids shouting at him.

Start writing to anyone who you think can help,,get an appointment with the school nurse (she was a great help for me),,,son said the teacher hated him, and believe me,,within a week, he liked his teacher and her attitude was a lot better with me.

I hope all goes well very soon as it's heartbreaking seeing your child so unhappy
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2006, 08:10 PM
hi there, Im sorry that your little one is having such a hard time

I know this is some what staged but it might get a reaction from those at the school.

If you were to get your son to write a letter however long or short or even give him a notebook and tell him to write down all his feelings about what happens or has happened. Let him know that he can tell somebody (although by the sound of it hes doing a good job already).

A notebook is good and I used it personnally when i was bullied at primary school. It just gives a first hand account of how whats happening at school is effecting the child. After all why should any parent have to send their child to a place where they are continually upset.

You may feel this is too much for your child however i hope ive helped somewhat!

Good luck to you and your son xx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 08:16 PM
so sorry to hear about the bullying, i haven't read any previous posts but just wanted to share our experiences.

probable not much help but my two children started being bullied and the only advice i gave to them again and again was stand up for yourself, i have also told the teachers/headmaster that this is our policy. my children will never ever hit first but once hit they will come back harder to stop this happening again.

i firmly believe from my own experience bullies never pick on a child who MAY be able to fight back and they have to stand tall and give the impression of being strong. A bully will then move on... ( i would also like to say i know it is easier said than done),

i have walked past the school only to see somebody on top of my son punching hell out of him. from that point, he had kickboxing lessions and i drummed it into him he must stand up for himself, he can choose to let this happen or not.

I have even taught my son how and where to hit somebody if need be. It may seem drastic but where we live i knew it would happen again and again if he didn't stand up for himself. I thought seriously about moving, but worried what happens the next time....

this may not be any use to you what so ever, my son never seemed to have it in his personality to hit somebody, but now his attitude has changed and 2 years later we do not have any problems with bullying. He still has a kind/soft personality but people KNOW he can stand up for himself and therefore trouble doesn't seem to come his way very often.

I really hope this sorts itself out, as it is horrible i know, just thought i would tell you how we dealt with it,
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2006, 08:25 PM
what a nightmare for both your son and you .. can't offer any advice just wanted to send you "good vibes" and hope you get it sorted ASAP ... oh and yes If I were in your shoes I would keep my son at home until it was resolved!!!
Rachel
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >