View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2005, 10:31 AM

the stand! (teaching 'stand' for show and obedience)

hey all.
gee im full of questions today. have asked a few people but got different opinions. abby is 10 wks old, and will be going to socialization classes and breed specific class soon too.
hopefully i will get a chance at showing her, just wanted to know what is the best way of training her to stand, or should this not be learnt till we're at the ring craft sessions, when shes slightly older. would like to get started as early as poss!

Check out the virgin dog shower!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Getting a stand for normal obedience training is easy. Just have the dog sitting beside you in heel position. Put a thumb in the collar so she can't move too far and bring a treat in your right hand across your body at a level with, & just in front of, her nose. The distance from nose to treat needs to be just enough to get her up off her bottom. Don't lure across in front of you, keep it straight in front of her nose. When she gets up put the command 'stand' on the action, praise 'good stand' and reward instantly with the treat.

I don't know if that would mess up what is required for showing? Are Staffs stacked or free-stood in the UK? Usually dogs in the ring are baited from the front, but once she comprehends what stand means then she will do it on command no matter your position.

I am not a fan of breed specific training classes as they can make dogs insular and uncomfortable with other breeds. If you do go to this type of training class do make sure that your pup has thorough and on-going socialization with other breeds outside the class
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2005, 11:06 AM
ive yet to see to be honest, im going along wednesday without abby to see how its run etc... i wanted to go for tips and training on showing really. but sayin that i dont want to confuse her with people drumming different methods in our heads from one class to the other!
do they do classes with all breeds just for ringcraft then, not breed specific?
im my opinion i have thought the breed specific ones would be abit of my dogs better than urs etc!!
i just want fun with my dog, and for her to be well behaved! and maybe the odd show!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2005, 11:24 AM
My comment about not caring for breed-specific training classes was referring to obedience not ringcraft - sorry for the confusion I think ringcraft is usually breed-specific in areas that have the population to sustain such classes as you need expert guidance on what is required of your breed in the ring.
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2005, 11:28 AM
ah i see!! prob me not reading it right!!
obedience side will be a local one with all breeds, and then the other one just for the show side.
can u tell im a novice!!

its just the showing part im finding a bit daunting, thats the unknown for me!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Don't worry Loustaff - I'm a complete novice too hehe

I thought I'd got it when the trainer last night told me to do it a completely different way so now I go to two ringcraft lessons a week, one where they want her stood in front of me, facing me, and the other where they want her stood across me, me kneeling on the floor.

You'll get it quick enough and she's learning as much as you are anyway
Last night at training the trainer said to me 'put the bait in your hand but block it with your thumb so she can't get it instead of standing in front of her and breaking tiny bits off for her every now and again - I prefered the latter way that the other trainer told me - I have a shredded thumb after that - she's on determined puppy

Would give you the advice I've been given but I'm pretty sure dalmatians and staffies are taught to stand differently Just know you're not alone
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi loustaff i go to a mixed breeds ringcraft and my gypsy loves it i have started to take my 13 week old pup to