Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2016, 09:53 AM

Mini Shetland Pony

For a while I had been considering getting a second pony, as my resident Shetland lost his field mate a few months ago and I don't like seeing horses alone. He did have alpacas and lambs in his field, but I never saw any interaction between the different species.

I set about finding another Shettie - and after much searching found Solomon. He is a wee sweetheart. A little short on courage but with a lovely nature.

He made a rather grand entrance for such a teensy boy

Unfortunately all did not go swimmingly For the first week or so my resident Shetland, Strom, either tried to kick and bite Solomon or chased him away and they spent all their time at opposite ends of the field. Most upsetting.

Strom seemed to say he would rather be with the big horses

However, after a week a truce appeared to have been called and the boys started grazing closer and closer together without anything kicking off (literally)

Now, a month in and they are good friends They still have the odd squabble but are always to be found near one another now.

I think minis must be addictive, because I am so tempted to have a small herd of them in the future - not sure my hubby agrees with me on this though

How could you resist?

tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2016, 09:57 AM
When we had the kennel we had a minature Shetland pony and a small shetland/welsh pony cross. They were called Tango and Pepsi, eventually went to a riding school and i am told the kids loved them.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Didn't have to put cat flap in like the advert on tele? He is lovely.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2016, 06:36 PM
What lovely photos and looks like now they'll be chums for life. Never had Shetlands (always bigger horses) but now I'm horseless I've been tempted a few times as I love their cheeky Wee natures
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
When we had the kennel we had a minature Shetland pony and a small shetland/welsh pony cross. They were called Tango and Pepsi, eventually went to a riding school and i am told the kids loved them.
I think all kids love wee ponies

Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Didn't have to put cat flap in like the advert on tele? He is lovely.
I think my husband would have a fit if I started bringing the ponies inside (I wouldn't mind a bit though )

Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
What lovely photos and looks like now they'll be chums for life. Never had Shetlands (always bigger horses) but now I'm horseless I've been tempted a few times as I love their cheeky Wee natures
I never thought I would get my horsey fix from teenies, but I really do. They are fab. I highly recommend them.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2016, 11:35 PM
My grandson is nearly 3 and I am so tempted to get him a Shetland. His mother learned to ride at that age on a fat little Shetland - they are wonderful ponies, and such fun. Naughty, full of character and a really, really good first pony for children. So glad that the little one is settling in with his new friends Moobli.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
My grandson is nearly 3 and I am so tempted to get him a Shetland. His mother learned to ride at that age on a fat little Shetland - they are wonderful ponies, and such fun. Naughty, full of character and a really, really good first pony for children. So glad that the little one is settling in with his new friends Moobli.
I agree. I think as long as they have plenty of handling and are taught boundaries by being firm but fair then they are an absolute joy. There are obviously a few around who are quick to use teeth or feet but they are generally the spoilt ones who are allowed to get away with such behaviour because of their relatively small stature.

This little guy is hilarious

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Absolutely Moobli. They can be little devils but if not spoiled are delightful characters. I cannot wait to introduce Alfie to riding - he is obsessed with horses already, and has no fear so it looks rosy for the arrival of a shetland pony when I have sorted out grazing etc.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Absolutely Moobli. They can be little devils but if not spoiled are delightful characters. I cannot wait to introduce Alfie to riding - he is obsessed with horses already, and has no fear so it looks rosy for the arrival of a shetland pony when I have sorted out grazing etc.
Lucky Alfie
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2016, 09:04 PM
I know! His mother had to wait until she was 11 or 12 before she got her own pony.