Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
evilrazor
New Member!
Male 

03-06-2013, 12:40 AM

Aggressive behavior in 12 week old puppy

Hello everyone I have a 12 week old Irish setter puppy. Hes usually very sweet. A little less active than his litter mates but still a puppy. Today when he fell asleep on the tile floor I was going to move him to his crate for nap time. I made sure he knew I was coming, he woke up and rolled to his back and wagged his tail. I started to put my hands around him to pick him up and he just lost it. Growling, snarling, viciously biting me. I just acted like he wasn't doing it, I wasn't going to let him know it was getting to me. He was not "play biting" as he knows not to put his mouth on me, and I see him play with his brother and sisters so I know his level of intensity. He was at a level 10 with me.

This dog is going to grow into an 80 dog, I cant have him snarling and biting me if I want to move him. I need to stop this NOW, he has already broken skin on both my arms with this.

How do I deal with this? I need help, thanks guys.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 02:12 AM
Has the vet checked this puppy to rule out any health issues?
evilrazor
New Member!
Male 

03-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Yes the vet says he is healthy. No parasites or any obvious bone structure issues.

He only does this up to an hour after sleeping. It seems to me he doesn't enjoy being moved when comfy.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Is there a problem with him staying where he is if he is comfy ?
I don't think I would be very happy being pulled about and picked up when just woken up. Could you not use a treat as a lure if you need him to move ?
The saying let sleeping dogs lie I find is a very good one most times to adhere too and if for whatever reason I need the dog to move and it has to be a very good one in my book as I mentioned use a treat to ask them to move and then praise them.
The other option is step over them.
My two previous dogs have been very large and so is my dog now I have never found any of these methods have had any detrimental effect on behaviour.
I find it hard to believe that your 12 week old puppy is being aggressive he is just thinking you are up for a rough game or is trying to tell you please don't move me and if you are not listening he has to get a bit more full on with his telling.
He may be feeling you started being aggressive towards by keep trying to pick him up when he is sleepy and comfortable. Even if you aren't
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 06:51 AM
My Chi X does this sometimes if she is in her bed and comfy and we go to pick her up. However if we simply say "come on then" she'll be up out of her bed in no time, tail wagging and ready to go! So we have learnt that her bed is like her crate, her safe place where we do not manhandle her. There is no reason to. What we do though, is occasionally go and give a treat and give a quick stroke just so she doesn't react to all approaches to the bed. Children should always be told not to disturb dogs sleeping or in their beds.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Oh and I believe the rolling over and tail wagging is an appeasement behaviour rather than saying "im happy".
evilrazor
New Member!
Male 

03-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Rolling over his something he does on his own, I've never asked him to do it. Plus he loves his belly rubs.

Im going to try and make being picked up the best experience he can get. Treats to get him up and oriented, and lots of praise and awesome treats for being picked up. Hopefully he moves past it.

The reason I find it important to be able to lift my dog up is because my last dog broke his leg, I had to pick him up and carry him. Had he not been used to being carried it would of been a terrifying experience for both of us, Instead he licked my face and I was able to transport him to the vet.

While it is possible for me to ignore or avoid the situation I don't believe that is the correct avenue to go down. Hes only 12 weeks old, hes in the process of being crate trained and potty trained, so I needed to move him to his crate. Normally I would place him in there once I realize he is getting tired, but he just plopped down on the tile and had only been there a minute.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 07:29 AM
I am by no means saying you shouldn't ever pick your dog up. Pippa is often having to be picked up to do stuff. If she is laying down I tell her to stand and then pick her up.
evilrazor
New Member!
Male 

03-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Ya I couldn't get him to stand up, I think treat luring is the way to get him to stand up and hopefully out of a defensive state of mind. I just didn't know he was going to react that way. He doesn't care when his litter-mates romp all over him lol.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Definitely do the treat luring and teach a 'stand' command for it whilst teaching 'sit' and 'down'.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >