Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Would you go? - Family Holiday

My in-laws called a few weeks ago to say they have arranged (OH parents, two sisters and brother in-law) to go to Longleat on our wedding anniversary staying at Center Parks.

To which my OH responded we would think about it but pointed out we'd rather do something different on wedding anniversary.

They phoned last night to say they are going weekend after for four days, are we coming. My OH said he'd discuss with me but he knew very well I'd say no!

I'm not going on a family holiday without Riley! I'm upset they didn't call and ask if we wanted to go to Longleat, they originally arranged it for our first wedding anniversary and they have planned for something we couldn't take dog.
OH sister and her husband are more than happy to dump their dog on friends for days-weeks so they don't see the issue.

I don't really have friends I would trust with Riley, I am certainly not putting him in kennels, plus morally I don't really like zoo's/safari parks.

As usual though, it has to be me who says no to in-laws because OH can't be bothered standing up to his mother!
Men!

Am I being unreasonable?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Absolutely not

If it's your wedding anniversary why are they going around arranging it for you without consulting you? Fair enough if it was just a random holiday or break, but it's your wedding anniversary, your special day to do what you and your partner wants.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi Nicola firstly some of the Chalets at Center Parks accept dogs if that helps.

I don't think you are being unreasonable , if you really don't want to go I would thank the parents very much for the kind thought and say you were planning a romantic weekend just the two of you
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I am a bit confused. Have they paid for you to go with them without asking you? or are they asking if you want to come and then expecting you to pay?

I am presuming it is the latter. Just politely decline and say that you have other arrangements. No need to say why. If you don't want to go then don't, simple as that.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 03:18 PM
If they'd paid, I would go, that is my opinion.

However if not i really have no qualms telling people i won't do something because I don't want to do it. I don't feel the need to make excuses as to why I can't, if I don't want do i don't!
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh no we have to pay, and frankly it works out quite expensive for a weekend away.
We are the type of people who would go walking somewhere and sleep in the car on a weekend away so it especially feels like a lot of money!

Thank you everyone for your responses! I was starting to feel like a complete and utter discussing this with OH!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Just say to your OH. If you want to go thats fine. Not my cup of tea though.