Male 

18-07-2005, 08:21 AM
:smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078

There goes my breakfast
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2005, 06:51 PM
I think after reading everyones posts,i'll have the broadband installed and then if it isnt as fast as i think it should be (or grinds to a halt )-then get the ram upgraded.Still waiting for NTL to confirm the installation date though (1/8/05)...

And i agree with Stewart-the thought of a bloke wearing a bikini makes me wanna throw up! Sorry fred!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Probably the best thing to do is get broadband first and go from there. Stay away from PC World and the like. Also you probably only have one spare slot in the laptop to upgrade the memory so will need to buy the largest possible for that model. Memory prices are really quite cheap at the moment. Need any other advice, just ask. I work in IT Support and my OH has built ours at home from the ground up!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Righty ho!

I had 1mb broadband installed on tuesday and although its much much quicker than the old dial up-its still not as fast as i'd like.My sister (who's a bit of a boffin with programming) recons laptops run quicker than desktops and if i upgrade the ram-the difference will be massive.

I looked on the net and the most i can get for this laptop is an additional 128k + the 64k it originally came with.Cost is around £19 and it gave a step by step guide to installing it,but kinda went over my head when it started saying about wearing an anti static wristband and removing the battery pack...

Soooo-i went to the small computer shop this afternoon in town and they said its a quick process,dont need the windows operating system wiped and basicaly is plug and play.Cost for them to do the job is about £40-so will be taking it to them when i have some spare time (they cannot do things like this on a saturday unfortunately).

Cheers everyone for the help!!!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-07-2005, 08:45 PM
thats great news You should notice a difference. I recently put more memory in my desktop pc so the broadband seems a lot faster now.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah, they've told you right mate. You could do it yourself on a desktop. Is a easy as it sounds but can be really fiddly on a laptop so best let them do it to be safe You could also remove the 64mb that it came with and replace with another 128mb depending on if the original is removable.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3