Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gareth84
New Member!
Male 

24-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Training methods needed

Has anyone got any training methods for a dog that gets overly playful when we have visitors in the house. He will run around and not leave them alone. They ignore him but he does not stop. He is a 8 month old rottie.

thanks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 02:04 PM
I watched a good Victoria Stillwell on this one yesterday but it was a patterdale terrier.

You have to start when the visitors arrive by making the dog sit and wait in the hallway BEHIND YOU (I learned this from my police dog trainer friend, that the dog has got to be behind you so he knows you can deal with this all on yourown!). Once your dog is sitting nicely, then give him the wait or stay command, whatever you use, and let the visitors in. The dog HAS to stay where he is and ifhe's good he gets his treat! This works coz I've done it over and over again with mine and so far we're winning, she leaves the visitors in one piece and settles nicely somewhere she can keep a beady eye on their every move lol!

It's no good going for the training bit if you don't do it from the very start when they arrive, sokeep at it and you should find that the dog then knows you are in charge of the whole situation and he can take a back seat and leave them alone, hopefully. Good luck! It's a nightmare with a large, boistrous dog so it has to be kept in control, coz some visitors might take a poor view of it, but then if you're anything like me, I don't have people like that visiting anyways! You will need a very high reward treat such as chicken or cheese, this is quite a feat for a dog such as a rottie, same as my gsd's, coz I'm sure rotties like to protect you in the same way, and that's what it's all about for them, they don't think you're capable of dealing with visitors you see, they want to be in charge! All the best. Maybe somebody knows some more ideas for you.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 02:18 PM
My Shamus used to leap all over visitors, so in the end I just put him on a lead. He was praised when quiet, ignored when silly. It worked - eventually.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 02:06 PM
How about a Kong stuffed with goodies that you give him when he is quiet when the visitors arrive? Our male Kerry is a bit wuffy and excited when we have visitors and this works wonders. He didn't even notice the visitor I had last week to collect some furniture I had for sale!