Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mart
New Member!
Male 

04-12-2012, 08:17 PM

Kitting out my dog for winter mountain walking

OK, I've got my Scottish camping holiday coming up in January and we normally spend a lot of the time walking in the mountains. This year for the first time my Boxer dog is coming with us and I'm concerned about how he'll cope with the temperature and conditions. 3 years ago it was as cold as -10 at night and I think about -7 in the mountains during the day and there was thick snow cover everywhere, even last year we managed to find snow half way up the mountains so I need to consider what my dog will be able to cope with. Being a boxer he is not well suited to extremes of cold, so I have already bought him a quilted coat and waterproofed it. Now I'm concerned about his feet and have been looking at boots. what are peoples opinions on the requirement of boots and which ones do you recommend?
I've seen the Ruffwear Grip Trex and the Polar Trex, these are pricey, but are they worth it?
Is it even safe taking a short haired dog up into mountains where the conditions could get pretty unpleasant - us humans can protect ourselves with lots of technical clothing, but all my dog Brewster will have is his coat and probably boots.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 08:30 PM
That sounds like a heavenly holiday you are planning, and you are right I think to be concerned about the possible very low temperatures and the effect on your boxer dog. The problem may not be so much the freezing conditions, but if it is also wet or snowing. With no proper facilities to dry off your dog and warm him thoroughly, then there could be trouble.

Certainly, thick coated dogs cope admirably with a little extra "clothing" if they are not used to very cold weather, but I don't know about a short haired breed such as yours Even with a coat on and protective boots.

How old is your boy?

Someone who knows about boxers and/or taking dogs up mountains in the depths of a Scottish winter should be along soon to advise you better, but personally I would be a little concerned about taking such a dog.
Mart
New Member!
Male 

04-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Here he is in the kit he has so far, the coat is insulated and has stretchy material that goes underneath his chest. The saddle bags are the 2012 version of the ruffwear palisades and he walks fine with those on too

Bitkin, we go to Glencoe each year and it is just stunning! Brewster is only 9 months old.
For those who are interested I have some nice photos from Scotland here http://martwilliams.zenfolio.com/f644891625 The Scottish ones are titled, well, Scotland 2009, 2010 etc

Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Oh wow........Brewster is so handsome What a lovely dog.

I love that photo of the mountains - it would make a good subject for a painting
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
He is a beauty.

I'd look at getting an equafleece for him to wear at night in the tent too.

My dog is single coated and when we camped in Snowdon he wore it all night in the tent
Mart
New Member!
Male 

04-12-2012, 09:39 PM
He is a handsome boy, thank you

There is so much up there that would make beautiful paintings and photographs. I was amazed the first time I went up there. As we drove up into the pass of Glencoe, we kept stopping and getting out of the car to look at the stunning scenery, only to drive a little further up the road to find something even more stunning and it kept getting better! We were very fortunate the first year as it was covered in snow with clearish skies - the following 2 years it was wet, last year extremely! But still fantastic up there.
Mart
New Member!
Male 

04-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
He is a beauty.

I'd look at getting an equafleece for him to wear at night in the tent too.

My dog is single coated and when we camped in Snowdon he wore it all night in the tent
Thanks Anniebee I'll look into the equafleece - I don't think he'd quite fit in my sleeping bag with me otherwise I'd be tempted to let him do that if he was clean enough...I'm contemplating doing something with his cage and a couple of old feather filled mattress toppers to make a warm place for him...
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Thanks Anniebee I'll look into the equafleece - I don't think he'd quite fit in my sleeping bag with me otherwise I'd be tempted to let him do that if he was clean enough...I'm contemplating doing something with his cage and a couple of old feather filled mattress toppers to make a warm place for him...
When we camped, he had his fleece on and he alternated between snuggling in-between the two of us or sleeping on the cushion that I took out of his bed that he has at home.

I have to say I was amazed at how he just accepted that the tent was where we were going to sleep and that was that!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Equifleeces are brilliant - Jimmi has one for very cold days and as they are close fitting they stay put whatever and are extremely cosy.

One of those, coupled with your duvet in cage idea should keep him really warm.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Personally I would not be taking him, not because of the cold but his age. If he is 9 months now he will only be 10-11 months on your trip. Young dogs shouldn't really be doing strenuous periods of exercise such as climbing mountains when they are still developing physically.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >