Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I agree with you about his role in Northern Ireland - however everything positive he did, he countered with the shambles of the war on terror!

He abolished assisted places for private schools which means that those who could have gone to private schools but couldn't afford it, meant that they didn't have the opportunities they could have had!
Don't forget he / or his party did make it possible to have civil unions and same sex immigration I feel P!ssed off with the way things are right now - so I'm not making any other comment on what has also been messed up in return!

[Anyway F politicians - I'm an anarchist!]
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I've been reading the whole thread and it was a bit ambiguous to me as to who is entitled to a state funeral - but I do see that previous PMs did get that honour.
I thought it was given to them because in their time they were well thought of by a majority - whereas it seems to me that Maggie was divisive and not liked by all.
In fact, as I was reading, I thought that perhaps instead of being the Iron Lady, she should be called Marmite Maggie - because you either love her or hate her.
On that basis alone, I would say no to a state funeral.
Country doesn't need any more division.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Getting divorced from a civil partnership at the mo....not a big fan lol! x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 07:58 PM
So you're now telling me that ALL of the people up North did NOT have the opportunity of buying their own council house then?

ALL of the people up North did not have the opportunity of leaping from a working class background to a middle class if they so wished?

ALL of the people up North did not benefit from having a low inflation figure for their weekly shop?

ALL of the people up North did not have an opportunity of going self employed if they so wished?

The fact that she said NO to Brussels (and I don't like those either!!!! )would have benefited everybody, you would have hated it if she hadn't I'm sure of that!

... and oh dear, the Trade Unions membership collapsed from over 50% to only 20%, so you obviously didn't like that one at all, I know that!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So you're now telling me that ALL of the people up North did NOT have the opportunity of buying their own council house then?
Couldn't ALL afford it or agree with it.
ALL of the people up North did not have the opportunity of leaping from a working class background to a middle class if they so wished?
as above, no H they certainly did not ALL have that chance...of course they didn't.
ALL of the people up North did not benefit from having a low inflation figure for their weekly shop?
Only if they had a job in the first place to be able to pay for the weekly shop,unemployment was so high, no many didn't feel that
ALL of the people up North did not have an opportunity of going self employed if they so wished?
No H, only if they had the skills and money.....seriously are you for real on these questions????
The fact that she said NO to Brussels (and I don't like those either!!!! )would have benefited everybody, you would have hated it if she hadn't I'm sure of that!
Why?
... and oh dear, the Trade Unions membership collapsed from over 50% to only 20%, so you obviously didn't like that one at all, I know that!
No H I certainly don't think that is a good thing at all. Thatcher was out to ensure that working people didn't have a voice. She managed that butwho did it benefit? Those who were making more cash out of the businesses....certainly not those who were no longer in a trade union.

Do you truly believe, given unemployment was so high that people really were able to buy their council houses????? That they were able to set up their own businesses???
That was the trouble with the Thatcher years you see...it was truly a time of the haves and have nots.
I grew up on a council estate in the north of England and I saw NO benefits at all to having Thatcher in power.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
She resigned
NOw that IS funny!!!! Did she though? I thought she was hoisted out by her own party??? I do remember back that at the END of her term she wasn't liked much at all, but then when they've been in office for a long time that always seems to happen, they sort of go off the boil, maybe all the constant stress and hard work starts affecting their brains and they start making the wrong decisions? I do remember how we couldn't wait to get her out about 1995 or somwhere around there? I still say though, she started off well, she did everything I liked, etc. etc. a new broom and all that, but brooms can get worn out when they're swept too hard can't they!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2008, 08:08 PM
She didnt really go anyway, she was pulling majors strings, kind of like a puppet.

That is always a bad sign of any goverment, if your own party dont like and want rid of you things are not that great.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No H I certainly don't think that is a good thing at all. Thatcher was out to ensure that working people didn't have a voice. She managed that butwho did it benefit? Those who were making more cash out of the businesses....certainly not those who were no longer in a trade union.

Do you truly believe, given unemployment was so high that people really were able to buy their council houses?????

Colin did!
That they were able to set up their own businesses???

I did, and as I said, Dave had NO job, he had been made redundant 3 TIMES in a year!!! The banks were throwing money at you in 1990 when I asked for it!!! We had NO money, only our house with a BIG mortgate on it!

That was the trouble with the Thatcher years you see...it was truly a time of the haves and have nots.

Yes, but she gave the have nots the opportunity of having some, if you were prepared to go out and grab it and work darn hard for it too!
I grew up on a council estate in the north of England and I saw NO benefits at all to having Thatcher in power.
You weren't of the age perhaps to see it all as an opportunity maybe? I do agree though, it was the survival of the fittest that's for sure, but you can't knock her for what she did
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Getting divorced from a civil partnership at the mo....not a big fan lol! x
Yeah I understand but it gave alot of people some very important rights they would have not otherwise had and many that alot of people don't even realise.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
She didnt really go anyway, she was pulling majors strings, kind of like a puppet.

That is always a bad sign of any goverment, if your own party dont like and want rid of you things are not that great.

Bit like we have now then Oh how I hated that Major muppet! The man couldn't even talk properly, he stammered and stuttered!! Maybe he had to wear an earpiece and say what Maggie was telling him to say on the walkie talkie and there was a delayed reaction!???!
Page 27 of 33 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »