View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 08:16 PM
With any breed its always a good idea to visit breeders or shows to get a feel for the dogs.
Breeders generally LOVE to chat and are more than happy to let you come and meet their lovely dogs
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I think it's great that you've given this so much thought and joined for more support.

With regards to the insurance, I just wanted to caution that it will probably increase over time; the amount depending upon any claims you make/illness your dog may suffer from.

Best of luck with everything.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by S6754 View Post
If we did the see what takes our fancy route at a rescue then we'd have to have some basics in place at home ready in case something really did take our fancy. What would those basics need to be?

Are dogs like cats where they need to be gradually weaned onto different food over a few days?
Food, water, LOVE!
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I think it's great that you've given this so much thought and joined for more support.

With regards to the insurance, I just wanted to caution that it will probably increase over time; the amount depending upon any claims you make/illness your dog may suffer from.

Best of luck with everything.
What our vet offers isn't insurance as such, it's more of a health plan as it's all done in house. We have our cat on the same plan. So if it gets ill or injured then it's treated under the plan and there's no price increases.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Staffies make the most wonderful pets, honey - I would love one if my arthritic hands could cope, but sadly it's not to be.

You will make so many of us on here happy if you were to rescue one, but the choice has to be yours.

As someone has already said, visit a couple of local rescues - and prepare to fall in love....

x0x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 08:29 PM
What our vet offers isn't insurance as such, it's more of a health plan as it's all done in house. We have our cat on the same plan. So if it gets ill or injured then it's treated under the plan and there's no price increases.
So you will always know where you stand, payment-wise? Result.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Staffies make the most wonderful pets, honey - I would love one if my arthritic hands could cope, but sadly it's not to be.

You will make so many of us on here happy if you were to rescue one, but the choice has to be yours.

As someone has already said, visit a couple of local rescues - and prepare to fall in love....

x0x
I got a cross by default, we were told he was a full springer, but as he's grown its obvious he has some staffie in him, he is utterly people orientated loves everyone, and is devoted to me, i can honestly say i personally have never met a bad staffie and we are in the dog walking business, go and meet some i'm sure you won't be dissapointed
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I think we will visit some rescues in the coming weeks, not to fall in love! but to get an idea. As far as staffies go I've seen the odd one out for a walk but never gotten close so it would be good to get closer and have a proper look.

What's a staffie usually like in doors?
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
So you will always know where you stand, payment-wise? Result.
Yeah it's a fantastic plan. When we moved house last we tried to find a local vet that offered the same but none did, so we stayed with the same vet. It's only 20 mins away so not far at all.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I think we will visit some rescues in the coming weeks, not to fall in love! but to get an idea. As far as staffies go I've seen the odd one out for a walk but never gotten close so it would be good to get closer and have a proper look.

What's a staffie usually like in doors?

Generally like this:

obviously depends on age and how they have been reared, but as long as they have decent amount of exercise they are great, just like to have company...

Very young ones can be avid chewers but as long as you give them lots to entertain they are fine....
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »