View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2012, 02:41 PM
little unfair to say I've ignored everything I was told. I listened to everyone about the other breeder and walked away from them. If everyone followed the strict guidelines about buying a labrador what would happen to all those dogs not up to scratch? They'd probably end up in rescues.

The rescue labradors that we saw didn't have scoring information and weren't KC registered either and the rescues stated experienced homes only.

In fact if I went by the advice of my local labrador club I shouldn't even be on this forum at all. I was advised not to use dog forums due to all the bad advice!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by S6754 View Post
After much searching and lots of questions we've finally found a "breeder" that we're happy with. I say "breeder" because that's not what they class themselves as, it's just something they do now and again. They own the mother and both parents are pedigree. We can choose at around 5 weeks of age (they will let us know exactly) and take home at 8 weeks.

I know one of the rules is don't give deposits but they were asking £50 and that's what we've done. We've got pick of the litter which is 3 bitches and 5 dogs, however they're keeping a bitch and they believe the owners of the father also want a bitch.

I've had extensive Q&A with them online and spoken to them on the phone and they come across as very genuine and they care where their puppies are going to, rather than just how much money they are making as some other people I've spoken to do.

I'll be completely honest and say we are breaking 2 rules. The parents haven't been scored, however neither them nor their siblings have ever had any problems. A few other people selling labrador pups haven't scored the parents either, I guess it's a money and time thing. I know it's supposed to be very important but someone has to give those puppies a home regardless of their parents scores.

The 2nd rule we've broken is that they're not going to be KC registered. The reason being is that the people who buy from them want them either as working dogs or family pets, they don't show them or anything like that. This doesn't bother us, we have no intention of showing them or even breeding.

So there we go, please don't have a go at me for the above. This isn't a spur of the moment or a last resort, we've asked a load of questions over the past few weeks to this person and our gut feeling is that this is the person we're happy buying from. I haven't checked the date exactly but 8 weeks falls around mid July.
Unfortunately unless the breeders posses the power of x-ray vision and the ability to look at the dogs genetic makeup, they do not know if their dogs or their dogs siblings have problems. Many genetic diseases do not show their heads until the dogs are much later in life. PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy -- aka progressive blindless) for example is common in the breed, doesn't develop until MIDDLE AGE and is COMPLETELY PREVENTABLE through genetic testing.

Lack of time or lack of money to provide basic health tests is no excuse. If someone can afford to breed they can afford to check if the puppies they are bringing in to the world are bred from healthy parents and are free of certain conditions. It is pure laziness and selfishness on the part of the breeder if you ask me.

No offense but I find it a bit staggering that you have been given good advice on what to look for with regards to picking a good breeder yet you have completely disregarded it. You also do not know the lines of these dogs -- what if you end up with a highly active working line Labrador who goes on to be riddled with health problems?
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I can see this is just going to go downhill and I shouldn't be made to feel bad about bringing a puppy into the home. We will love and care for this animal no matter what.

Thank you to everyone who helped along the way. I'll leave it at that and won't be coming back.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 02:53 PM
little unfair to say I've ignored everything I was told. I listened to everyone about the other breeder and walked away from them. If everyone followed the strict guidelines about buying a labrador what would happen to all those dogs not up to scratch? They'd probably end up in rescues.

The rescue labradors that we saw didn't have scoring information and weren't KC registered either and the rescues stated experienced homes only.
That is not your problem. I hate the fact that irresponsible breeders and puppy farms churn out puppies like that is no tomorrow. A lot of people do have "oh, but they still need homes" attitudes towards such puppies but they CANNOT be looked upon in the same way as rescue dogs. They are not rescue dogs -- they are bred by irresponsible individuals who are either looking to make a fast buck or through ignorance. It is then the poor puppies who potentially pay the price for this.

Rescues may ask for experienced homes for certain older dogs or breeds but this is not the case universally. I know two people who have adopted puppies from rescues, both of whom were first time dog owners.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Labradork I do agree with you as far as progressing the breeds in a healthy manner it is the way forward and if you intend to breed it should be done with upmost care I agree 100%, But if he buys a puppy untested as we agree it's a chance he takes, and these pups have to go somewhere, He has also been advised to look into rescuing a dog, which as a first time dog owner himself I would think the risks of getting yourself a dog with temperament issues, or psychological effects from past life, would be a much harder first dog for anybody, I realise they do not all come with problems but they don't often come from health tested parents either, thus leaving you potentially with a troubled dog who could then get hereditary problems too, It has also been known to have a pup from health tested parents and it still get ill or die young, owning a dog comes with no guarantees IMO. I think he should be able to enjoy his pup without the worry, if we all worried about what may happen, we would probably never get out of bed
hayleyth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2012, 02:57 PM
These breeders do annoy me.. Theres way to many lab puppies at the moment with so many health problems... There shouldnt be so many health problems in labs!! Luckly... Hopefully mine will be ok!
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
I can see this is just going to go downhill and I shouldn't be made to feel bad about bringing a puppy into the home. We will love and care for this animal no matter what.

Thank you to everyone who helped along the way. I'll leave it at that and won't be coming back.

Please don't leave!!! I think you will make amazing first-time owners. ((hugs)) and I'd love to read updates on your pup's progress with you.

As far as health-testing goes, IMO having all the tests done on the parents doesn't mean you necessarily get a healthy dog anyway! My pointer had epilepsy, his parents didn't. My munsterlander had hip dysplasia (as did most of the litter) but both parents had good scores. She also had a miss-placed bladder which is not something tested for anyway.
If you take top care in feeding, vaccinate sensibly (imo this means rarely), exercise carefully as they grow then you can still have a healthy dog into old age even If the genetics are not top notch. The munsterlander I mentioned above was diagnosed with severe HD at 8months of age! We were told she would be unlikely to live past 5 or 6 yrs but she lived a full and happy life until 15 yrs old. We kept her fit and thin and she ate a raw-food diet and only suffered arthritis in her final couple of years. She was the sweetest, gentlest, smartest dog I ever had.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
Please don't leave!!! I think you will make amazing first-time owners. ((hugs)) and I'd love to read updates on your pup's progress with you.

As far as health-testing goes, IMO having all the tests done on the parents doesn't mean you necessarily get a healthy dog anyway! My pointer had epilepsy, his parents didn't. My munsterlander had hip dysplasia (as did most of the litter) but both parents had good scores. She also had a miss-placed bladder which is not something tested for anyway.
If you take top care in feeding, vaccinate sensibly (imo this means rarely), exercise carefully as they grow then you can still have a healthy dog into old age even If the genetics are not top notch. The munsterlander I mentioned above was diagnosed with severe HD at 8months of age! We were told she would be unlikely to live past 5 or 6 yrs but she lived a full and happy life until 15 yrs old. We kept her fit and thin and she ate a raw-food diet and only suffered arthritis in her final couple of years. She was the sweetest, gentlest, smartest dog I ever had.
Obviously nothing is guaranteed when it comes to health and genetics, but no one can argue that the odds are positively stacked in your favour when pups come from multiple generations of low/clear scoring health tested ancestors. The fact that some conditions that have been known to effect this breed (PRA, CNM, etc.) can be ruled out entirely through health testing to me speaks volumes.

Labradors are the most numerous breed in the country and there are plenty of excellent breeders who care about the health of the dogs they are producing. It just seems a little odd to me that someone should wish to support a backyard breeder when the options for good breeders are numerous with this breed.
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Obviously nothing is guaranteed when it comes to health and genetics, but no one can argue that the odds are positively stacked in your favour when pups come from multiple generations of low/clear scoring health tested ancestors. The fact that some conditions that have been known to effect this breed (PRA, CNM, etc.) can be ruled out entirely through health testing to me speaks volumes.

Labradors are the most numerous breed in the country and there are plenty of excellent breeders who care about the health of the dogs they are producing. It just seems a little odd to me that someone should wish to support a backyard breeder when the options for good breeders are numerous with this breed.
I agree with you but I sometimes think that we do many things in life which we shouldn't do. I don't know about you, but I am definitely one of those people who hate to be told what to do and I think it is a very human trait to resist advise given, however well intentioned. The more "heavy" someone gets with me, the more I will stubbornly go the other way. Childish maybe! but are common reaction, particularly if the heart is fighting with the head over a matter such as this.

I think we have managed to make the OP feel defensive and unwelcome and this makes me very sad indeed! He has come here for advise but there are no Dogsey rules (that I can see) which mean he has to abide by all the advise given by strangers. In making him feel bad about his choices, he might leave this lovely forum and then not potentially get help later with husbandry and training. I have been around forums for a few years (new to this one) and have a thickish skin when it comes to comments directed at me but many haven't. I have seen quite a few threads where newbies have been put-down and it has made me sad. I am not directing this mini rant at anyone in particular and I will probably regret this later I expect!
The OP has given me the impression that they have put a lot of thought into getting a dog and I would hate to think they would stop asking for opinions on issues for fear of being flamed for their ultimate choice.
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 11 12 13 14