Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2007, 05:27 PM

Breeding Dogs.......

Sal's post has just got me thinking. Don't flame me as it is a genuine question that I've wondered. I would never consider breeding as I think about all the poor unwanted dogs out there already. I know obviously that if everyone thought this way then we'd eventually wipe out breeds but I just wondered what other peoples take it is was? Does it cross your mind that we are already overpopulated with dogs wanting homes before you breed?

Just a random Friday night musing
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Always! however, I work on the basis that I will take back any puppy I've bred so I wont be adding to the dogs in the rescue homes.
I would hazard a guess but most dogs that end up in rescues probably came from breeders who didn't care where the puppies go as long as someone has the cash.
Becky
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Always! however, I work on the basis that I will take back any puppy I've bred so I wont be adding to the dogs in the rescue homes.
I would hazard a guess but most dogs that end up in rescues probably came from breeders who didn't care where the puppies go as long as someone has the cash.
Becky
its in all my contracts,i guess that if you choose the right home for your puppy you will lessen the chance it ends up in rescue,there are alot of breeders out there that tell you when the call for a pup its eg,£750 before youv even asked any questions,so if there were less puppy farmers or bybs out there then theyerd be far less in rescue centers,did anyone see the battersea dogs hom live on bbc 1 this morning,did you see mattie she was taken in 8kg and full of dermedetic mange,she was a pity full sight that much i cried she was pityfull il try find the link and come back xx
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2007, 06:23 AM
I guess I sit on both sides of this fence as an occasional breeder and someone who is Secretary of a National Breed Welfare organisation.

As an occasional breeder, we are scrupulously careful about finding the right homes for our dogs (we give more to friends than we sell to strangers). Our breeding programme is carefully planned to ensure that healthy and standard-fitting parents create healthy and standard-fitting progeny. All our puppies go out on strict contracts (even those we home with friends) with breeding restrictions and the caveat that they must be returned to us if for whatever reason the owners cannot keep the dog. We also offer 24/7 support to all our puppy buyers. If there is a problem they know they can ring us any time day or night for advice and support. Indeed we see education about the breed as an essential part of the pre-sales process. Prospective homes must know exactly what they are letting themselves in for.

In the 15 years that we have been in our breed, we have rescued and rehomed 4 or 5 times as many dogs as we have bred, but with the odd very rare exception, almost none of these were bred by what we would regard as reputable breeders.

Since February, when we were instrumental in the creation of a new national breed welfare organisation, we (as an organisation) have taken in and rehomed some 70 Siberian Huskies. Of these, 74% were unregistered (one or two had worthless Dog Lovers Registration) and 26% were KC registered. Only 2 of the dogs we have rescued were bred by what we would regard as reputable breeders, and both of these were collected by the breeders as soon as they knew they had come in to us.
In our breed then, it is clear that reputable breeders do not create or add to the current welfare crisis in the breed and that there is actually no contradiction between responsible breeding and numbers within welfare schemes.
97% of the dogs that come through our welfare scheme have been bred purely for money and have been sold to naive members of the public who seem to have no idea of how to cope when the cute puppy turns into a lively yearling, and who get no support from the "breeders" who have moved on to the next bunch of "punters" to be fleeced.

Mick
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
Yep i agree becky , i too put it in my contracts that if under any circumstances you find you can no longer look after the puppy bring it back to us , this far i have never had a pup come back and i remain in regular contact will all the new owners even from my very first litter , so am pleased to say i have up to know made good judgements on the said new homes and all puppy past and present are all very wel cared for and happy , xxdk
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Problem is if the good ethical breeders who do all the healthchecks & take dogs back stopped breeding the puppy farmers would just produce more. Don't think stopping the good guys breeding is the answer.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2007, 05:14 PM
It does'nt matter how hard you try to vet new owners, you'll always get the occasional rogue one, look at that poor rottie that was mentioned on dogsey last week, 8yrs old and tossed out of the house because they had got a new puppy .