Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greybeard56
New Member!
Male 

05-02-2007, 06:30 PM

He's a runner

We recently rescued a chocolate lab mix. "Patch" is a very well behaved 5-6 year old dog. He's very well house broken,gentle and very good manners. He does keep his leash tight when we walk, but otherwise no complaints. Except for one thing. If he gets out without someone on the other end of his leash - he's gone - running. I haven't tried waiting him out to see if he comes back- yet. It's like he turns off his ears. Yesterday when he took off it was 10 below F. The only way I've gotten him to come to me, is to open a car door - he LOVES to go for a ride. Just have to find him first!
Does anyone have a solution?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Hello Greybeard, not too sure if i'm reading your post right, but if you mean your boy does a runner from your property (?), cant you just secure the fences and gates?

also, being a new rescue, he wont have recall to members of your household as yet anyway, as you haven't built a strong enough bond yet.

This is best achieved enrolling in a god reward/treat based Obedience Training Class (Labs will do anything for food!!!) where the trainer will teach you how to train your dog...Recall Training should be part of the programme.

Google APDT for a good class locally.

cheers and good times