View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2013, 02:35 PM

Trying to train in public places....ARgggh!!

Ok, So I'm just venting my frustrations here but any advice is welcome.....

I am working with a dog that is very randomly spooked by stuff, she is perfectly fine then sometimes she will bark at random dogs, people, noises. After barking she often sculks and looks for acknowlegement, the techniques I am using therefore are 1. completely ignore her then praise when settled 2. call her to me, ask her to sit then reward (difficult if still barking) 3. reward her regardless (positive association with trigger) to diminish response.

I am reluctant to punish her as I believe that this kind of behaviour is an emotional response and she needs guideance rather than telling off.

My gripe today is that I am getting fed up of on-lookers making my job more difficult by staring or teasing the dog or saying things to her like "ooh whats the matter then" etc and even passing comment on me " why doesn't she tell that dog off?" etc

I'm sure people wouldn't think its their place to interfere if I was dealing with an upset child?

Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by waggytail View Post

I am working with a dog that is very randomly spooked by stuff, she is perfectly fine then sometimes she will bark at random dogs, people, noises. After barking she often sculks and looks for acknowlegement, the techniques I am using therefore are 1. completely ignore her then praise when settled 2. call her to me, ask her to sit then reward (difficult if still barking) 3. reward her regardless (positive association with trigger) to diminish response.

I am reluctant to punish her as I believe that this kind of behaviour is an emotional response and she needs guideance rather than telling off.

My gripe today is that I am getting fed up of on-lookers making my job more difficult by staring or teasing the dog or saying things to her like "ooh whats the matter then" etc and even passing comment on me " why doesn't she tell that dog off?" etc

I'm sure people wouldn't think its their place to interfere if I was dealing with an upset child?

Oh they would you know!
Is there nowhere you can go where there is no chance of morons passing through?
It must be so frustrating for you
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2013, 03:11 PM

How often does she do this? With some dogs as the behaviour is random they never associate the training to what they are doing.

What is her body language like? Dogs can get to the stage were nothing we do will go into their brain, their brain has shut down so there is not point in trying to train them in this situation, all that happens is we get frustrated.

Well done for not wanting to punish her, it can make the behaviour worse not better.

There are a lot of people who do interfere when parents are dealing with an upset child.

I used to know someone who made a coat for her dog with "Dog in Training" on both sides, it worked with most people.
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Well, yes it is random but she does this a lot when out in public places because the environment is always "changing"

Her body language is completely relaxed until something triggers her, she then barks (sometimes a big whoowhoo whoo in the air) then ducks from side to side (sculking) then looks for acknowlegement.

I try to use a quick easy phrase to encourage people to move on rather than gawp at her, somethinhg like " shes fine, just a bit nervous of new things" etc. I'm just amazed that people still think its ok to stop and say things or even to try and pet her? I'm suprised to hear that people have experienced this with their children.
Frk9999
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Oh i feel you...
Our labbypug has a tremendous fear of....well, feathers. But only the white and tiny undercoat ones.
Same pattern as your trainee shows then except that she's more brave and tries the rush-forward-tactic instead of pull-back.

Would it have been our "problem"-dog we probably would have not known by know WHAT at all may have triggered this. Who on earth thinks of a stupid little feather to be the root of all evil?!
We didn't if it weren't for her barking the recipient into oblivion as if lifes were at stake (well, in her opinion it probably actually is)

We didn't get her as a puppy but as a "thrown away" 1yr-old. So we had not the slightest idea of course. Guess your dog wasn't raised by you too.

I know that was not very helpful but maybe you're paying attention to every stupid detail if possible or try to narrow it down by showing him/her things that were in his/her vicinity when she/he freaks out again?

Regarding our feather-panic we managed (after some years though) to keep her cool in the presence of one. She just forgoes it at least now vividly watching the evil feather.

Our anthropocentric point of view is way too often hindering than helping...
Nonetheless: Good luck!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
You say working with a dog - I assume she isn't your dog? How would she react with her owner rather than with a stranger? Sounds to me she has a lot of anxiety issues - others may have different opinions.

Anyway that said, it is incredibly annoying to have random people comment when you're trying to do something with a dog. My dog around a year ago had a very serious aggression incident with another dog, so alarmed by it we haven't allowed him to have contact with other dogs since (unless strictly supervised, muzzled and/or on a lead) and yet people constantly say to me "it's because he's on a lead - let him run around he'll be fine" little do they know the massacre that would unfold! I hasten to add he is getting better, he doesn't react to dogs when we walk past (well not all of them).

Vent away - I do all the time!

catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 06:06 PM

Sorry I haven't read all the other responces but what about trying a harness that says 'in training'. It may help and it might give people the impression that you are training her for some wonderful purpose so really know what you are doing and are using some new techniques.... You could get yourself a polo shirt too with 'training! We need space!' (I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing obviously, but maybe if people get the impression your training for something specific they'll leave you alone a bit.

As for the children bit....only last week a completely stranger told my friends 3 year old to 'shhhhhhhhh' really abruptly and then chortled to her croanies...'and she'll get a clip round the ear next time!' All because my friends daughter called loudly in the street to my daughter 'excuse me Merryn I've found something here!'
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 06:55 PM
I have a puppy that I often take to public places to socialize etc. as well. Thankfully he doesn't bark at people or dogs.

I'm trying to improve his off lead heel ATM (straight garbage, not even working)... and a child or random person might come and begin asking random questions about him and me and generally making things difficult.

They are merely interested and want to know more. I always admire people who want knowledge, and I always happily engage. They might ask his breed, what we're doing, share experiences or knowledge etc. so I'm happy to engage people like that.

On the other hand, if they are just harassing me such as a kid just wanting to pet him, or a man hitting on me or something garbage like that... it's HARD not to tell them off!

I usually let all the kids come pet him and just scrub the training, however I'll dismiss any guys or old women looking to berate me or something with something stern, but not rude.

I cannot offer you any real advice... I can just tell you I feel your pain.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
How old is she? I just wondered if she's going through a fear stage.

Here's a video by Kikopup

http://dogmantics.com/2009/10/26/how...scary-objects/

This may work as well, even though it's intended for lunging. I use it fro when I spot a cat, before George does

http://dogmantics.com/2012/11/17/how...reactive-dogs/
Frk9999
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2013, 10:09 PM
He's now 1.5yrs. So basically still a stupid puppy in puberty because: Spitz

Videos look promising. I'll try it. But I don't have much hopes because he's so frightened by whatever triggers I don't reach him and he even ignores treaties. And I have gooooooooooooooood treaties only for these occasions.
But worth a try anyway. He learns damn fast though, after 1-2 repeats.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >