Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2013, 07:44 AM

Agression to other male dogs

Fred has become very agressive to other male dogs, he used to get on with my sons staffy but after not seeing each other for a month Fred now 'go's for him' he has also attacked the neighbours dog a couple of times and last night there was a dog roaming round the house and he was barking and going mad, he almost broke through the frence,
Fred is a 2 and half year old male intact french bulldog, i'm worried about having him under anisetic to be castrated because of him being a short nosed dog
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Before jumping in & castrating him, I would consider the Superlorin implant, either the one in the link or the 12 month version. If this stops his aggression towards other males, then castration will work, if it doesn't then catsration won't work either.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by s7eph View Post
Fred has become very agressive to other male dogs, he used to get on with my sons staffy but after not seeing each other for a month Fred now 'go's for him' he has also attacked the neighbours dog a couple of times and last night there was a dog roaming round the house and he was barking and going mad, he almost broke through the frence,
Fred is a 2 and half year old male intact french bulldog, i'm worried about having him under anisetic to be castrated because of him being a short nosed dog
Neutering doesn't stop a dog from attacking another so hold off on neutering for the time being, you need to try and work out WHY your dog has changed if you can. Has he been attacked by another dog? Has another dog frightened him in any way? This can be anything which your dog was frightened, often us humans see a dog's reaction and think it is funny, to our dog he is frightened.

Attacking other dogs is normally fear, the more we understand why our dog is frightened the better we can change this round, if the meantime play safe, keep him on the lead when there are other dogs around. If possible keep him at a distance were he doesn't react but can still see the dog. Gradually he will learn that he doesn't need to be frightened of other dogs. He can't learn if he is reacting because his brain has shut down.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Before jumping in & castrating him, I would consider the Superlorin implant, either the one in the link or the 12 month version. If this stops his aggression towards other males, then castration will work, if it doesn't then catsration won't work either.
Never heard of that but I as thinking recently that there must be a hormonal thing that can be used now.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2013, 02:36 PM
I'd go with the implant and start working on getting him to ignore other dogs. I certainly wouldn't allow him to keep practising his aggression against others otherwise before long it will become his default setting.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2013, 06:17 PM
I assume you've tested his aggression toward bitches too.

I wonder what triggered his aggression - has there been an incident or are you convinced it is a hormonal thing?
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I assume you've tested his aggression toward bitches too.

I wonder what triggered his aggression - has there been an incident or are you convinced it is a hormonal thing?
He is fine with females; and no incident that i can think of, i think he is jealous !!! he ignores male dogs when we are walking, its my sons dog and if any dog comes near me or the house
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Please ignore my advice Mattie is much more experienced with aggressive dogs
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2013, 12:28 PM
I've used BAT (best to just google it) which has helped my dog enormously. My dog is a staffie X, and when he turns aggressive with other dogs he can be very dangerous so I could never trust him offlead around them (male or female) but by using BAT I've got him to take other dogs in his stride if they keep a distance, he sees them, maybe gives a little grunt and is more than happy to walk off the other way with me. Rather frustratingly and mysteriously sometimes one runs up to him he wants to play with them but I can't allow it, once bitten twice shy for me I'm afraid (excuse the pun).

It's not a quick fix - it won't be a complete fix but it means i can take him out and he doesn't get all hot on the collar when he sees one.

Good luck with yours - they are a fantastic breed aren't they?

Incidentally I've just remembered something, we have a little black french bulldog in the village who is terribly human and dog aggressive -he has just been diagnosed with something called "cushings". So it might be worth taking your dog to the vet.

Originally Posted by s7eph View Post
He is fine with females; and no incident that i can think of, i think he is jealous !!! he ignores male dogs when we are walking, its my sons dog and if any dog comes near me or the house
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Thank you guys, i think it is a jealousy thing with him, as he is very protective of me, and he isnt bothered with other dogs when out its only if they approch me, or like the stray i gave him water so fred got jealous maybe (dont worry owner came for stray in the morning!) and maybe he smells sons dog on my clothing when i have been there
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >