View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alex-Sandie
New Member!
Female 

28-05-2013, 07:22 PM

How can I keep my Lab from guarding the bed when I am on it?

I have a beautiful well trained and gentle Labrador retriever who never barks or shows any sign of aggression...she is 5 years old...and she has been with me since she was 10 weeks old...
.we are a certified therapy assistant team and spend hours in schools, hospitals and care facilities.....Darby has one issue and I am at a loss as to how to correct her....
When I am alone upstairs and my husband starts up the stairs Darby will start a vicious growl and guard me.....it started when I was in a reclining position but has graduated to me sitting at a computer or sitting up in bed....we have never had her act in this way to any other person or in any other situation....let me add that my husband has never struck her or me and while he does not spend the time with her as I do, when we are downstairs, he will play with her and she .. responds like a normal lab to him...tail wagging etc....on the rare occasion that I am away, Darby will sleep by his side and go on long walks etc...
Getting a lab after a
lifetime of having small terriers was a real concession for me...a lab is my husband's dream dog so it is disheartening that she shows aggression and guarding tendencies to him.....I literally have to get between the two from a seated or reclining position for her to stop her growling and lunging at him..... . .

I know it is frustrating for my husband and after 33 years of marriage, 3 children and lots of family dogs, why in our golden years do we have a dream dog that feels one of her jobs is to protect me from him?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Well congratulations on 33 yrs of marriage! I'm no use with advice for this problem. Especially as it made me laugh reading it. I hope someone less useless than me comes along soon!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Stop it Tang......that is not helpful

Alex-Sandie, I am sure that someone will be along before too long who knows what they are talking about regarding this sort of thing.

What a horrible situation for you, and obviously it needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later. If it was just a case of when you are in bed, then it would be a relatively easy matter to just exclude her from the bedroom, but now that she does it in other places as well it's a much wider problem isn't it.

I suppose that it will come down to the usual thing of rewarding good behaviour, although ignoring the bad is not an option in this case. Perhaps when she shows this jealous guarding, you could try not saying a word and just getting up and taking her into the kitchen or whatever then shutting the door.

I don't know Good luck
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Stop it Tang......that is not helpful

Alex-Sandie, I am sure that someone will be along before too long who knows what they are talking about regarding this sort of thing.

What a horrible situation for you, and obviously it needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later. If it was just a case of when you are in bed, then it would be a relatively easy matter to just exclude her from the bedroom, but now that she does it in other places as well it's a much wider problem isn't it.

I suppose that it will come down to the usual thing of rewarding good behaviour, although ignoring the bad is not an option in this case. Perhaps when she shows this jealous guarding, you could try not saying a word and just getting up and taking her into the kitchen or whatever then shutting the door.

I don't know Good luck
I know - I'm sorry (have slapped meself on the wrist) Just that as none of my ex victims (err.. I mean ex husbands) have ever lasted that long - I rather liked the sound of a dog that wouldn't let your old man come to bed LOL! My last one used to constantly whinge that 'you think more of that dog than you do of me' .... he wasn't wrong! I'm a disgrace to the dog world! And the 'married wimmin' world too!

Anyway I will try to redeem myself with a little helpful suggestion ....
How about .... your other half comes up the stairs and into the bedroom with a handful of really tasty treats for the dog! Then lures the dog off the bed with them! Then ... well I don't know what then ...

Or, how about you stop going to bed before your other half! Two suggestions to try to help there!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Trust me,I haven't a clue what I'm talking about but could it be that your dog isn't protecting you but "owning" you.Which one of you is the rule maker, you or your husband?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2013, 09:12 PM
When a dog starts to resourse guard, the best solution is to remove the object that is triggering the behaviour.... I.E , you/ bed.

If the only time he is displaying this behaviour is on or around your bed, then don't allow him on or around the bed... The more he has the opportunity to practice, the better( or worse) in this case he will become.

If he is not allowed in your bedroom, he can't practice this behaviour.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I know - I'm sorry (have slapped meself on the wrist) Just that as none of my ex victims (err.. I mean ex husbands) have ever lasted that long - I rather liked the sound of a dog that wouldn't let your old man come to bed LOL! My last one used to constantly whinge that 'you think more of that dog than you do of me' .... he wasn't wrong! I'm a disgrace to the dog world! And the 'married wimmin' world too!

Hilarious

Anyway I will try to redeem myself with a little helpful suggestion ....
How about .... your other half comes up the stairs and into the bedroom with a handful of really tasty treats for the dog! Then lures the dog off the bed with them! Then ... well I don't know what then ...

Or, how about you stop going to bed before your other half! Two suggestions to try to help there!
Definitely worth a try
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
When a dog starts to resourse guard, the best solution is to remove the object that is triggering the behaviour.... I.E , you/ bed.

If the only time he is displaying this behaviour is on or around your bed, then don't allow him on or around the bed... The more he has the opportunity to practice, the better( or worse) in this case he will become.

If he is not allowed in your bedroom, he can't practice this behaviour.
You may possibly need to put a stairgate across the bottom of your stairs for a while.

There are some very good links to resource guarding on the sticky threads at the top of the page.

Good for you Alex-Sandie for doing so well with your dog in all the other areas.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Our rescue bull lurched pup (8 months ish now) used to (and still occasionally does) growl if you try to move him off the sofa or bed...or he feels you are trying to move him. I did consider not letting him on the sofa, but as his was only a low level growl I decided against this, AND I also guessed that he would just transfer this behaviour to his bed. As I have two very small children who like to sit and play on dog beds I decided I needed to approach the issue in a different way.

I did a few things. Bought a really comfy floor cushion so getting off the sofa wouldn't mean the end of warmth and comfort.

I taught him a 'get off' command by throwing a small amount of kibble on the floor and when he got off saying 'get off" clicking and giving him a very high value treat and a big fuss. Then gradually reduced the kibble lure and gave the command first...and am continuing with the high value treat as he still really values warmth. (He spent his first 12 weeks in a derelict caravan)

The other thing I've done, if I have no treats available...and after a lot of the 'get off' training.....say when I want him just to move up and a bit and he starts growling....is, not looking at him directly, just pick up the sofa cushion and keep lifting it until he gradually flops onto the floor. .....and ignore him.

Like I say, his was/is very low level growling.

Whatever you do, don't make a huge fuss..or challenge him, you will just encourage him to think that it is a resource worth guarding.
Alex-Sandie
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the advice/observations....it is almost embarrassing to write it all out....Darby is perfect in every way except this demon she turns into when I am laying down....and I may add as she is growling and lunging she is wagging her tail....and my hubby is the only one she does it to.....I tease and tell him he must be thinking unkind thoughts about me to warrant this guarding behavior.....I think I will contact the trainer I took my classes with get some input....it certainly isn't going away without some intervention....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >