Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jp909
New Member!
Female 

22-05-2013, 07:44 PM

My Dogs recall is getting worse

Help please. My 12 month old bitch has never have brill recall, she is a rescue I have at about 5 months old. but at least I could let her run off lead in my field. But the last few weeks she runs off worse than ever and I can't let her off at all. If she picks up a sent or spots a rabbit shes gone. For a while she got quite good but she got worst the day she came into her 1st season 3 weeks ago. I am losing the bit of confidence I had. I took her to tranning classes when I first had her and they helped with a lot of the problems she had, but I can't crack the recall. I would like to do agility with her at some point. But at the moment I'm in despare. She is turning into a lovely dog in every other way. I have tried everything but she goes blind and deaf and I'm yet again in tears
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Don't despair! you can get through this Many of us have been there with our dogs.
Our JRT doesn't have brilliant recall and we still struggle to regain his focus sometimes. Our 7 mth old puppy has almost 100% solid recall, even amidst distraction, and during her first season that just finished.
We clicker trained her and I followed the advice in 'An Idiot's guide to positive dog training' by starting at home with her sat in front of me and saying 'come', then increasing the distance to a few feet, then more, then starting over in the garden. I taught her that being next to me is the best thing ever and it really made a difference from the way we trained our JRT. I no longer use the command 'come' for him as it's lost it's meaning. His response to 'this way' is so much better so I would also recommend changing your recall command if your existing one has lost meaning to your dog.

Hopefully another Dogsey member can come along and link you to a training video/article. I really wish you the best of luck, and I know you can do it
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Question: Why would she come back to you when she could run around a big field?

Answer: She would come back to get a high value reward, especially if she was then allowed to go and play again.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2013, 10:43 AM
I would start right at the beginning as if she never ever been trained a recall very much as tessabelle outlines. In thr meantime I would put her on a long line to stop her doing what she wants, when she wants.

I would also look for a good training class because recall is not just about coming back, it's about bond, respect and fun between dog and handler.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi, my puppy who is 5 months old has almost a 100% recall, even away from home. He's learned so FAST!! I barely had to do anything. He's just a kind of clingy puppy and loves to be around me. I have an almost 10 year old rescue who has no recall.

She has to be leashed and it is sad and I feel bad not being able to let her off her leash. I wish I could offer some advice, but alas I have the same problem.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2013, 02:00 PM
I'd be seriously looking at your own extreme reaction to this problem (in tears?) whatever you are trying to do with your dog they will pick up on you being stressed out or whatever.

Sorry - but your post made it sound to me that your main concern was your being devastated that you might not be able to do agility with her rather than she might run off and not come back?

As an aside - I've always used 'thiswaythisway' with my Minpin and it works. She really doesn't respond well to 'bossy sounding' orders! And 'COME!' can sound a bit bossy!

I tell people my dog is about as 'well trained' as all my kids were - does most things I ask for but by no means ALL things!
jp909
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Question: Why would she come back to you when she could run around a big field?

Answer: She would come back to get a high value reward, especially if she was then allowed to go and play again.
No she doesn't I have lots of treats alsorts and toys, and she's always got a big firld to run around in every day since the 1st day. it'd just the last couple of weeks she's got really bad
jp909
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I'd be seriously looking at your own extreme reaction to this problem (in tears?) whatever you are trying to do with your dog they will pick up on you being stressed out or whatever.

Sorry - but your post made it sound to me that your main concern was your being devastated that you might not be able to do agility with her rather than she might run off and not come back?

As an aside - I've always used 'thiswaythisway' with my Minpin and it works. She really doesn't respond well to 'bossy sounding' orders! And 'COME!' can sound a bit bossy!

I tell people my dog is about as 'well trained' as all my kids were - does most things I ask for but by no means ALL things!
Sorry I don't know how you read that into my post. I was in tears after because I was frighten she would make her way down to the road and get killed. I only want to do alility with her because she's very active and I think she will enjoy it. Its not something I would want to do otherwise. If all I wanted to show a dog a wouldn't have taken on a reascue with lot's of problems of which recall is only one. And why do you think I give bossy sounding order? or even if I use the word come. I put the post up in the hope I would get sensible tips. I am sure you didn't mean to be but your reply was very insulting
jp909
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
I would start right at the beginning as if she never ever been trained a recall very much as tessabelle outlines. In thr meantime I would put her on a long line to stop her doing what she wants, when she wants.

I would also look for a good training class because recall is not just about coming back, it's about bond, respect and fun between dog and handler.
Thanks yes that what I have started doing again this morning. I have done a bronze trainning class with her and am hoping to do the silver. she is on a long lead
metaldog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2013, 07:24 PM
i think the fact that she's gotten worse since coming into season 3 weeks ago is your trigger here. She stopped coming back because suddenly all the male dogs wee wee on everything smelled irresistible and she most likely ran off looking for a mate. Both my bitches have great recall but I don't let them off lead when in season unless we're somewhere completely enclosed.

You need to go back to basics. Invest in a long line and don't let her have free run without it on. Find out what motivates her, up the value of the treats I use chicken or liver cake, run away, fall to the floor, make silly noises or anything to get her attention and every time she comes back to you reward her.

You could use a whistle so she cannot detect anything in your tone of voice and could help because she's learned you calling her name plus come here is her cue to run off an have fun.

You load a whistle by using it in the house for treats and at dinner time first and then use the long line when you're outside and load the whistle with food or play. Once she realises coming back to you only brings good things her recall will improve.

This is the method I used to train my rescue lurcher who has a very high prey drive and a desire to run for miles. I got her at 18 months and she had no recall and now she's great

Never ever scold her when you catch her if she doesn't come immediately because it will undo any hard work you've put in. I always reward mine for recalling no matter what they've sniffed on the way or how big a circle they ran to get to me

Persevere and she will get there and one day you will have an agility champion on your hands
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >