Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2013, 09:15 AM

Pippa's first go at Obedience!

Stupid photobucket isn't working for me, and I really wanted to post photos up but I have run out of patience! I'll try and post some later on.

Anyway, the trainers at Pippa's club suggested we register with the activity register for obedience competitions. Then someone suggested a local dog show where they had a couple of open obedience classes alongside the novelty classes, to have a first go. So we went to the Send show last Monday. We entered both and although we didn't place, we did really well (I think so anyway!) for a first go. It was good because we learnt that we need to do all these little flourishes like presenting the retrieve article and finishing at my side. The rest of the stuff she did really really well, better than some that seemed to have been doing a few shows already, but I just didn't know about all the showy extras! Her stays were perfect in both the easier and the harder class (2 minutes for a down stay the longest) and her waiting, recall, retrieve were fine apart from the extra stuff I mentioned earlier (she even waited by my side before going to get the ball, luckily we'd practiced 'manners' before even though this wasn't in our training club!). Her heelwalking was brilliant off lead, but on lead she didn't focus straight away but once into it she was good. I need to work on getting her attention perfect from the start.

Of course we had to enter some novelty classes too, just for fun, and so Pippa got first place in the "dog/bitch the judge would most like to take home"! Which was really nice and a lovely end to the day, although I am actually more proud of our obedience stuff as it was a real challenge for us.

Retrieve-wise we are now working on this 'present' malarky, where she doesn't drop the item and will sit there holding it. We are getting there, but I need to find a better item. I have heard about these dumbell things, but Pippa is so small I wondered if anyone with small dogs has experience and can recommend the best type? It needs to be very light and short!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Sounds to me like you've done an incredible amount of work with her. It is fantastic when it all comes together and even better when there are witnesses such as a dog show. What a shame she didn't win - but it still sounds like she won in your eyes and surely that's what matters most.

Do persevere with the pictures - would love to see some.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Blooming heck Jacqui that is brilliant . What a star little Pippa is You have every right to be proud of yourself and her. I look forward to seeing the photos - do try and download them again.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Sounds great! I love the bit about the present malarkey....or the faffing about bit at the end ....as I used to call it.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Oh well done Pippa and well done you! xx
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-05-2013, 09:00 AM
You didn't get placed but you learned an awful lot and everyone was once a beginner, the main thing is that you enjoyed it.

I'm looking to do a bit with my Lab, we have are first show in June, but we have a few things to work on before hand.

Good luck in your next one
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Found out today that we were only half a point from placing 5th! So not bad.
Tried to sort the photos hope this works.

Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2013, 11:46 AM
They are all lovely photos - this one is my favourite though!

Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Well done, sounds like you both deserve a 1st rosette, she's a gorgeous dog and the photos are wonderful.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Jacqui - those photos are fab
The one of you with Pippa and the rosette is fantastic and lovely of you both. Congratulations!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >