Dog people or people who own dogs ...?

Do you see a difference ??
Which are you ?
Are you the dog person in your family ?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I see a difference here if people are Dog people. They tend to be calm and laugh at things dogs do and are alot more relaxed around my lot than those who don't own dogs.

Im the dogs person Yes, Patrick would probably never get a dog if he was on his own, but Patrick is the one to rise to the dogs defence if we are walking and someone starts shouting in the distance (as they do)call your dogs away or don't let your dogs come over here...Patrick is awful ...first its always, 'they are no where near you mate' then if the person carries on Pat starts with standing his ground and asking.....''''ok point out where my dogs are near yours...well!!!!

I just walk on with the dogs someone once picked up their yorkie and as ours walked passed she hit Skye........OMG he went ballistic
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:01 PM
I see the difference in myself and my husband. I am the 'dog person' of the family and I go to dog events, do fund raising and do the majority of the dog 'stuff'...hubbie owns a dog, he enjoys him but finds dog talk 'boring'....
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:39 PM
There is a definite difference. I think the average owner definitely falls into the "people who own dogs" category. Most of them would look at you like you had two heads or would die of boredom if you engaged in any conversation canine related beyond the very basics.

A lot of people have dogs but have limited interest in them besides fussing them and taking them out for walks. My mum is like that. She doesn't mind taking my Labrador out for walks occasionally (she refuses to walk the other two) and might give them a fuss once in a blue moon but beyond that her interest is zero. Whereas my dad is a dog person; he likes talking about them, walking them, training them, has an active interest in what they are up to, etc.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I think there is a definite difference between people who own dogs and dog people.

Dog people (of which I am one) tend to be rather obsessed by their dogs and like all things dog. I am one of four sisters and we all have, or have had, dogs. I would say that two of us are dog people and the other two are people who own dogs.

My eldest sister admitted to me that she only likes her own dog, but is not really interested in other peoples dogs, or dogs in general.

My hubby is also a (working) dog person and so at least we can talk dog non-stop to each other without the other one falling asleep
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Do you see a difference ??
Which are you ?
Are you the dog person in your family ?
O very definitely yes.

I am very definitely the dog person in my family. My parents are far too old and disabled now to be able to manage a dog, but to a lesser extent than myself, they too are very doggy.

My brother is not doggy. He had a dog since leaving home - just one dog, a mad red setter, and it was the first and last one he ever had and he says he will never have another one. Definitely not doggy.

I adore dogs, all dogs, and they tend to like me, even those who are usually scared of strangers. I don't care a hoot whether I get covered in paw marks, although I will tell other people's dogs to get down if they jump up at me. Am I the only one who talks to dogs, properly talk as if they were a human? I get some very strange looks sometimes from the owners, but I cannot walk past a dog walking saying hello, or some such pleasantry. My husband says I am bonkers, but I can't help it - I just plain adore dogs, closely followed by horses, with humans coming a poor third
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think there is a definite difference between people who own dogs and dog people.

Dog people (of which I am one) tend to be rather obsessed by their dogs and like all things dog. I am one of four sisters and we all have, or have had, dogs. I would say that two of us are dog people and the other two are people who own dogs.

My eldest sister admitted to me that she only likes her own dog, but is not really interested in other peoples dogs, or dogs in general.

My hubby is also a (working) dog person and so at least we can talk dog non-stop to each other without the other one falling asleep
OH had never had a dog before he met me ... poor chap ... but he is pretty well indoctrinated as me, although he looks at dogs in a far more scientific way than I do. We have some fascinating conversations with people in pubs when we have our 2 with us. We have met so many interesting people and made new friends in this way, dogs are great, they should be on prescription!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I see a difference here if people are Dog people. They tend to be calm and laugh at things dogs do and are alot more relaxed around my lot than those who don't own dogs.

Im the dogs person Yes, Patrick would probably never get a dog if he was on his own, but Patrick is the one to rise to the dogs defence if we are walking and someone starts shouting in the distance (as they do)call your dogs away or don't let your dogs come over here...Patrick is awful ...first its always, 'they are no where near you mate' then if the person carries on Pat starts with standing his ground and asking.....''''ok point out where my dogs are near yours...well!!!!

I just walk on with the dogs someone once picked up their yorkie and as ours walked passed she hit Skye........OMG he went ballistic
Sounds a bit like us!!
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2012, 04:11 PM
I am definitely a dog person. Most of the people I come into contact with just happen to own a dog without understanding how dogs "tick".
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Definately a dog person, love to talk about dogs (mine esp) love walking them, they make me laugh and I LOVE cuddles.... my life is all about them now!

Hubby is also a dog person he is the same as me, asks about them when he calls during the day before asking how I am

My sister isn't a dog person, she is totally not interested in dogs, mine or anyone elses... my Mum is a bit like that she would fall into the "owns a dog category" my Dad is like me, its all about dogs!

It is interesting how some people just "own dogs" and don't really know much about their dog and don't bond or engage with them at all... those would be the people we never see out walking!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >