Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2012, 08:09 AM

Puppy off lead?

My young bitch is now 5 months and she has had some off the lead walks in a very quiet rural area where her mum is living.
As the light is no longer lasting in the evenings we have changed to our winter walk. I have been using the extender for the these walks (weve only been on it 3 times so far).
Should i be letting her off with my other dogs? Her recall is hit and miss and my biggest concern is that she is quite frightened when we meet other dogs she tries to take off. Then calms down and says hello. When shes scared she tries to run away from me not to me dispite my whistle calls and treats. Im thinking would she run and stop if not on the extender? or would she just leg it?
Im doubting myself as a really helpful lady stopped me last night and told me she should be off and i will be having her on for ever if not. My gut instinct is shes not ready but what if im wrong?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2012, 08:11 AM
You know her better that this other lady, so go with your gut. If you let her off and she bolts she could be seriously hurt or cause an accident.
Jenny Olley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2012, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't be letting a dog of any age with a hit and miss recall off. I am sure you are using your time with her on a long line to work on her recall.
People are always full of helpful advise about what you should do, you are keeping puppy safe. I don't understand how people think, letting a dog off to ignore your recall command is going to aid its recall training, surely it just confirms your recall means nothing.
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the helpful words. Im scared of loosing her. OH says im paranoid
If theres no distractions shes ok but lots of things still frighten her. Shes had a bad start. The extender is really hard work as shes getting bigger too.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2012, 08:56 AM
No dog should be allowed off until it has as bullet proof a recall as possible. All it takes is a car or another dog and it could be game over.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Controlled greetings on the lead are probably best if you have a flighty puppy.

I would let her off but in open areas where you can recall her when you see another dog.
DenisaC
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2012, 02:40 AM
It is not safe to let her off if you had some bad behavior experience.