Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Psy.Awesome
New Member!
Male 

17-06-2012, 12:01 AM

Lost my 12 year old Irish Setter

Hi I'm new to this forum and I just had to get this off my chest.

2 Days ago my 12 year old Irish Setter died. She was a very active and playful dog and got along with other pets very well. Cats, dogs no matter what she got along with them. I had her since the day she could see and eat when I was about 2 years old. I'm fourteen now and losing my dog was the most painful thing that happened to me. She had a high fever and couldn't breathe well, and I could tell she had trouble doing anything as she had no coordination what so ever. This was extremely hard for me as I was with her the entire day. I could see her breathe extremely loudly and had short bursts of very quick breathing and she could barely walk. She couldn't even drink water after her fever had fell. Her jaw was completely frozen and she could barely open it. I cried multiple times during the time I watched her because I was seeing her suffer and I couldn't do anything. Her situation seemed like it was getting better since at the start of the day she couldn't walk at all and later she could walk although barely. I thought to myself she's gonna be better and I was thanking god. The entire day I saw her go from one place to the other thinking that she was looking where it was colder because the sun was pretty hot. I entered my house for 2-3 minutes and she seemed pretty well before that. I had just gotten a drink of water and I was about to sit down to watch some tv to calm my nerves when something just made me check on her. And there she was, not breathing just lying there. I figured out she wasn't looking for a place to sleep in the cold, she was looking for a place to die. I could barely hold in my tears and I knew the vet was supposed to come to see her in the evening. I went to my mom which loved my dog a lot and went jogging with her every day and I barely started saying that she was dead when I broke into tears. My mom went to see her, and she seemed pretty calm until she came into the house and told my dad that Gina(her name) was dead. She then broke into tears as well. My mom and dead then went to bury her and asked me if I wanted to come. I said no as I couldn't bear to see her and when they left I burst into tears. When they came back I saw something that my mom said she hadn't seen dad do in the 15 years they were married. My dad cried. A man who wouldn't cry when his brother died cried for our dog. Can't say I blame him, because for 12 years every time anyone came home we had someone to brighten my day, and now she was gone. I sat up to 4 AM just crying. My eyes were sore and my cheeks were burning from the salt from them. I lost one of the things that meant the most to me in this world and I'm not going to get over it any time soon. My entire family loved her and she loved us as well. Wherever she is I hope its a better place.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2012, 07:20 AM
I am very sorry for your loss.
I find it helps to look at photos of the happy times and remember the joy the dogs gave - and showed. It helps balance the sad memories.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Sorry for your loss, you have great memories to treasure. Time will help but you'll never forget her.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Sorry for your loss honey.

Run free, Gina
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, it is heartbreaking when a member of our furry family die. It is never the 'right time' even when they have been unwell and they do leave a huge hole in our lives. It is desperately sad when we lose a loved one, but unfortunately a dog's lifespan is so much shorter than ours.
Gina had a long life and was clearly well loved. Your feelings are totally natural and are still very raw, but as time passes you will think how lucky you are to have both been a part of each others lives and will remember all the good times you had together with a smile.

Run free Gina at Rainbow Bridge and look down on your human family until the time comes when you are all reunited again.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2012, 06:01 PM
hi welcome to the forum i wish it was for better news. I hope you find comfort hear with us dogsey people, many have been in your shoes at one time or another and can share how your feeling now.

So so so sorry for your loss, it sounds like your dog was very well loved and led a very long and happy life. I hope that soon the pain starts to heal. I like to think of a place called rainbow bridge, where my old boys are up there playing and running about, looking down on us.

Take care and keep on chatting with us guys
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi, I am so sorry to read this sad news.. Gina had a wonderful life as part of your family and I know it is very hard for all of you. Just try and remember the wonderful times you had with her. Knowing also that she is in a good place now and no doubt watching over you. Run free at the bridge Gina xx
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm so sorry

Helen
Sherrie_x
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2012, 10:43 AM
So Sorry for your loss x
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm so sorry to read of the loss of Gina. She will always be in your heart. Try and remember all the good things you did together.

RIP Gina.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >