Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Breed issue with the family!

Me and my partner are getting a puppy and have decided on an American Bulldog. My family have straight away decided to try and talk me out of getting a 'horrible ugly chav dog' and get a 'normal' dog. What is classed as a 'normal' dog

I've had this before with my last dog who was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the whole family were adamant he was a 'chav' dog and therefore a nasty dog who they didn't want to be around. When I had Milo however they said he was a lovely dog they just didn't like his breed.

Now they're saying we won't be able to take to dog round to any of their houses because of it's breed (bearing in mind no one saying this has ever met an American Bulldog).

My auntie has a miniature schnauzer who in the house is a nice dog but outside is a little yappy snappy thing that lunges at people walking past and snaps at other dogs, but she's perfectly alright to go round to people's houses because she's a 'nice' breed. My Milo never barked/growled/snapped/lunged at anyone or any dog, he was friends with dogs/cats/rabbits/ducklings even when getting attacked he didn't defend himself, yet he was the worse dog

They're always having a go at me for my choice of breeds and saying I should get a different dog when my choice of breeds consists of ; American Bulldog, Rottweiler, Doberman, German Shepherd, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, English Bulldog, Shar-Pei, French Bulldog and any type of mastiff... now none of these are 'acceptable' but I don't like Labradors/Golden Retrievers or any small fluffy dog they're just not for me.

We're still getting an American Bulldog, they won't change our mind!

Does anyone else face this with their families or friends?

/rantover!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi, I love am bulldogs they are gorgeous, what happened to Milo in the end and where's Ellie???
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Who cares what your family thinks? Unless you're living with them or need to rely on them for dogsitting etc, it's not really any of their business! My grandparents hate whippets and think Kess is ugly and 'too skinny' but I couldn't give a rat's behind
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:20 PM
No. But I can`t imagine why you`re so excercised about it.
You`re a grown up with your own life.
I don`t take my dogs visiting if I can help it.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:22 PM
This is what my entire family feel about bull breed typedogs they don't anything other then what they have "seen" and their latest reason why they didnt want me to get a staff is that id have all the chavs asking for a fight.

????
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:28 PM
My family are all wary of bull breeds. We are slowly convincing them otherwise!
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:36 PM
It's your life, get whatever breed of dog you want. Hopefully when/if they come to your house they will understand it's not the breed that's a problem.
I agree they are technically 'chav' dogs but that's no reason to reject a breed at all, i'd happily have a SBT or bulldog.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I have an American Bulldog who is approaching 11 years old and I'm to old to be a chav.
I will say a couple of things in that be careful who you buy the pup from as there are a lot of backstreet breeders out there and if I'm honest I would'nt touch 95% of the dogs out there due to inbred genetic faults. It really is a lottery but at least if you make sure the parents have the necessary health checks and paperwork to support it then you stand a better chance of ending up with a decent dog.
Another thing to remember is that these dogs have immense strength and you need to take full control at an early age and they also tend to be dog agressive.
Iv'e seen dogs advertised as " gets on with other dogs" but most the one's I have met don't.I'm not saying DA is a problem but its something to be aware of when you have a full grown mature 50KG dog on the end of your lead.
Don't get me wrong I have really enjoyed owning my AB and he is a fantastic dog but Iv'e seen so many rehomed due to the fact that the owners ended up with a bit more than they bargained for.
I wish you all the best with your new pup and look forward to some photo's...All the best...Ian.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I know of a 10 month old American Bulldog looking for a good home. My friend bought another boy in and he's fighting with they're older dog.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
Me and my partner are getting a puppy and have decided on an American Bulldog. My family have straight away decided to try and talk me out of getting a 'horrible ugly chav dog' and get a 'normal' dog. What is classed as a 'normal' dog

I've had this before with my last dog who was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the whole family were adamant he was a 'chav' dog and therefore a nasty dog who they didn't want to be around. When I had Milo however they said he was a lovely dog they just didn't like his breed.

Now they're saying we won't be able to take to dog round to any of their houses because of it's breed (bearing in mind no one saying this has ever met an American Bulldog).

My auntie has a miniature schnauzer who in the house is a nice dog but outside is a little yappy snappy thing that lunges at people walking past and snaps at other dogs, but she's perfectly alright to go round to people's houses because she's a 'nice' breed. My Milo never barked/growled/snapped/lunged at anyone or any dog, he was friends with dogs/cats/rabbits/ducklings even when getting attacked he didn't defend himself, yet he was the worse dog

They're always having a go at me for my choice of breeds and saying I should get a different dog when my choice of breeds consists of ; American Bulldog, Rottweiler, Doberman, German Shepherd, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, English Bulldog, Shar-Pei, French Bulldog and any type of mastiff... now none of these are 'acceptable' but I don't like Labradors/Golden Retrievers or any small fluffy dog they're just not for me.

We're still getting an American Bulldog, they won't change our mind!

Does anyone else face this with their families or friends?

/rantover!
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Hi, I love am bulldogs they are gorgeous, what happened to Milo in the end and where's Ellie???
Was what I was thinking too, you already have two young dogs, are you bringing another one into your home.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >