Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Is it me I wonder???

Just had a call from my daughter. She started work last night stacking shelves at a local supermarket. She had been quite enthusiastic about getting the job, she has 2 children and felt she could cope with the 4 nights without too much hassle. The last couple of years have been v. hard on them financially. My son in law doesn't earn a lot of money and like everyone else they are quite frankly struggling and in debt. After her first night she says she isn't going back the work was too hard and physical and she now aches and feels she can't cope with the night work..... I didn't tell her what I thought but I suppose what I didn't say said a lot, she ended up in tears saying I sounded as if I was disappointed in her! I told her it wasn't anything to do with me anyway and if she felt she couldn't do it, then it was a shame but it was her decision.... what else was there to say really? However, I have to say I am disappointed - the things I went and got involved in when I was in her position years ago and personally I think if you are up s..... creek without a paddle then you just have to use your hands !! quite apart from the fact that we have bailed them out a couple of times with money that quite frankly we just don't have at the moment either.... I was rather hoping to see some of it coming back my way, but it doesn't look as though that's going to happen now...... is it me or do some of the younger generation need to grow a backbone? Absolutely no offence to any of the younger generation on here please note I said SOME!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Do not get me started.

I used to work 12 hours a day 6 days a week for a £1 a week when I was a working pupil.

At school I used to work at a laundry which meant working with boiling hot sheets, no break in the morning, 30 mins for lunch and a 10 min afternoon break.

I used to work at Eischmanns on piece work when at school, and cut my hands and got electroluted a few times.

I used to walk up and down the beach from 09:00 to 17:00 all day doing pony rides for one free ride a week or less.

I could go on.

I worked in lots of grim jobs in order to pay my way, yes they were for short periods, but I did them all well and it taught me valuable lessons for the future.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Yep I totally agree I'm fed up with soooo many people I know who seem to think the world owes them a living.

They refuse to work for minimum wage even though they have no experience of anything.

Jobs available for them are too boring, or they need to get up too early, or they need to work weekends OMG.

These same people also seem to think that those of us with well paid jobs seemed to have had them land in our laps. Errrrr no I worked my **** off working 7 days a week before I got to where I am, and did my fair share of crappy, minimum wage (and less!) jobs along the way
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I can understand why you feel as you do Gill. I think that most people who are desperately seeking work at the moment would have loved to be given the chance to work.

When Dave was made redundant a couple of years ago he was delighted to get a job in a warehouse. It was hard physical work, he did all sorts of odd shifts, had to cycle there and back because he had lost his company car and he worked in the fridge department, even with thermal clothing he got cold. He would cycle home at 2 am in the winter, after having spent hours in a giant fridge, but he was still so pleased to have some sort of job.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:04 PM
All young people arnt like that, I study full time, work part time and do the odd microchip for self employment and have 3 hounds to care for.

Though I havnt been to uni today, I have very bad pains in my back/kidney area, hope it goes away I dont like doctors and cant afford to miss more lectures
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Hope you do not have a kidney stone..........
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hope you do not have a kidney stone..........
It was very bad for about 20 mins before, I was in tears witht he pain. Its like a moderate ache now but feel sick too. Sorry OP a bit off topic
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Me and my OH are sick of most of our 'mates' complaining about not having any money, not having a job, then spending what little money they have going out on a weekend and drinking it all..... then of course monday comes around and everyones off to work - and all the do is complain!

Its the excuses that get me -

No where will hire me cause i have pericings so why bother trying?

I only want to do a certain type of job so i wont apply for anything

Oh I was too hungover to go to the interveiw

Oh i wont get that, i havent got one of the things they say in the ad

If i suggest going on Job Seekers they all look at me like ive got 2 heads

It just drives me insane! Me and the OH have worked our socks off to get where we are, and we even managed to have enough behind us so that my OH could find a new job when his old one wasnt going anywhere. Weve both worked since we were 16 and now we have stuff to show for it. Its when people put no effort in to anything and then tell me how jelous they are that we have decent cars, a nice home and pets!!

They dont all fall from the sky you know!

Oops...... I seem to have ranted lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes, some of them seem to think the world owes them a living don't they. They don't seem to realise, there's work out there, if you go out and find it, nothing comes to YOU in this life does it!

I remember once I got myself in the deep sh*te when I blew up my car engine and had to have a replacement at £700 when I was only 20, on a darn good wage too as a legal secretary, but my dad got me my loan from the bank and said I'd have to find a way of paying it back myself (even though they were loaded!). What with my rent and everything, I just couldn't see a way of doing it, so not only did I get ONE part time job but I had 4 on the go, including my full time job, for a few months, just to get this loan off my back.

I finished work at 5.30, when I'd rush home and get changed and go off to a dental surgery to do an hour's cleaning every night. After that, I pounded the streets, door to door doing cold calling for the Cancer Research Fund. Go home, change again, and set off for my evening job at the local hotel grill as a waitress, and that didn't finish until 11.30 pm at night!! Christ, I don't know how I did it, but I did, and I paid off my loan in no time!

The dental surgery job did cause me problems, because I was supposed to be there for an hour and a half, but being little miss speedy, I knew I could get it done in an hour and just the way they wanted, and that meant it gave me valuable time to get to the 2nd job. I thought all was going well, until the manager of the cleaning company arrived one night on pay day and asked me if I knew why they made me turn off the electricity when I left each night Me being me, I answered that it was for safety reasons such as fire? He then told me to look up at the big electric clock on the surgery wall Ooooops! Hmmmmm, I had no answer for him, but he gave me another chance

If needs be, I would do it again, but hopefully, that won't happen here, but never say never
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I paid my way through my undergrad degree by working as a customer service assistant for minimum wage.

Masters degree - worked in a pathology lab during day (9am - 5pm), worked on research/thesis at night, and then as a manger in a bookies at weekends (man that opened up my eyes to the world of junkies!). Saturday 8.30 am until 9.45 pm and Sunday 9am until 6.30pm.

Then whilst writing up my Doctoral thesis, went back to bookies again, worked a 48 hour week in there plus another 20-30 hours a week working on the thesis.

Only now at 30 do I actually have my weekends free! Still easily work a 60 hour week though.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »