Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Inca's new litter!....I know my own dog

Inca was scanned and confirmed in whelp, all being well pups due around 9th November. Thursday 5th November I noticed Inca didn't look too good, within an hour she started panting....so I knew labour had started. 4 days early was ok. 4 hours after the panting started, she asked to go out, I followed her closely watching, towels in hand, just in case she decided to have a pup in the garden.

She had a wee, then suddenly a gush of thick green slimy discharge followed. Having had litters before, I knew this was reason for alarm bells. Called our vet and went straight in. My vet (currently looking for another ) gave her an internal and tried to assure me it was just normal placental discharge, but I knew green discharge BEFORE first pup was cause for alarm. I had to stand there practically arguing with my vet that something was wrong and a c-section was needed ASAP. My vet got all the papers together for me to sign, still saying as she was early she thought we were rushing into it and to give her a bit longer......not a chance!

To cut a long story short, Inca was taken off for her section. 45 minutes later the vet came out and told us she had 6 healthy live pups, and sadly the first pup in the birth canal was dead and decomposing!!!!! half the size of the others and only half of it's face formed, so had obviously been dead quite a while. No apology from my vet, and at the time I was just grateful Inca was ok and so were her babies.

When Inca came to, we were called into the vets consulting room to discuss her care, medication etc. When the nurse brought the pups in, they were in a wire cage with one small blanket....baring in mind the vet surgery is air conditioned. The nurse briefly showed us the pups saying they were all fine....but I saw one of the boys was lying on his side gasping for breath! We took Inca and her babies straight out to the car, heating on full, felt like we were sat in a microwave oven, but I had to get these babies warm. The little boy was still gasping, so I put him down my top and continued to stimulate him to breath, rubbing him through my shirt.....had a few funny looks when we stopped at traffic lights, but my thoughts were on this poor freezing cold pup. We got home and put them straight onto a heat pad with the heat lamp above them, sadly the little boy died 2 hours later , I am just so mad, I can't say for sure if he would have made it either way but being so cold certainly didn't help.

Thankfully the remaining 5 pups picked up and are doing well, they didn't gain any weight for the first couple of days, but they also didn't lose any, Inca is being an excellent mummy to her 3 little girls and 2 boys.

Had I not known the signs to look for when problems arose I'm certain we would have lost Inca and the whole litter.

Then just to top it all, Inca then went on to pass a full placenta the following day, my vet again denied it was a placenta and said it was placental matter, but I know for sure it was a full placenta. Luckily Inca is on Anti-biotics after her c-section, so is covered. This isn't the first time we've had problems with this vet, and really feel now is the time to change, the only problem we have is that most vets in Bristol use our current vet for out of hours surgery, and one things for sure, if any of my girls are going to whelp it will be one of the following, middle of the night, weekend, or bank holiday, so I would end up at this surgery anyway. I really felt there was no 'care' and they were all treated like meat in a butchers shop.

Any way, putting all that aside 'for now' here are Inca's beautiful babies, 4 orange roan and 1 little blue roan. ALL HAVE HOMES

crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Just to add, one of the nurses who was in with Inca when she had her c-section asked me how I knew Inca was in trouble when even the vet couldn't tell............I told her, I KNOW MY GIRLS and the minute they are in trouble I know.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:47 AM
They are so cute!

Sorry to hear that you had problems with your vet, but I am glad to hear that Inca and her babies are okay!

x
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow - what an ordeal. Thank goodness you know your stuff. Big hugs to Inca and hope the pups are going from strength to strength! x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Wow, what a way to start off. so sorry about the little chap who did not make it..........glad all the others are doing well. looking forward to seeing the photos as they grow.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Im so glad you know your stuff, often vets dont have vast breeding experiance, my own vet would always take my concerns very seriously,
hope you find a vet thats as good as mine,

lovely pups, x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Well there's a good example of listening to your instinct.

Well done you for standing your ground.

Anyway , pups are adorable,

When you calm down , and compose yourself, a letter to the practice manager may make you feel a little better.

Finding a vet you can trust is like looking for rocking horse poo!!!

Good luck in your seach, and give those babies and mum a kiss from me!!!!!!!xxxxxxxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm so glad for the sake of your gorgeous girl and the pups that you were so insistant...frightening to think of what may have been.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Ahh - so sorry to hear about your vet troubles - thank god you had the pressence of mind to argue.

Big hugs for Inca and gentle cuddles for the pups
xxxxxxx
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
It just feels me with dread to think if this had been my first litter I would have trusted my vet, as I basically didn't have a clue when I first started nearly 9 years ago.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >