Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2009, 07:09 AM

Season - is this normal

I have always had my bitches speyed prior to their first season, but my JRT just didnt seem mature enough mentally for me to want to do it just yet, so when she came into season last week it was a whole new experience for us.

She has been bleeding for a week and so far we have seen the normal swelling, bleeding, change in personality etc.

Last night she became extremely clingy and is acting like she has bad stomach cramps etc, rubbing her belly on the floor, stretching out/hunching over, rolling over for us to rub it, licking her bits like she is uncomfortable.

Not being very experienced in this area i wanted to know if this is normal or not? Any guidance out there for us?
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2009, 08:01 AM
When Poppy had her first and only season she became very clingy, wanting cuddles all the time, and constantly cleaning herself. I don't remember her rubbing her belly on the floor though or hunching over. She spent more time curled up on the sofa pushed up against the side of my leg. I do hope your girl isn't in too much discomfort. x
Deborahjane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:08 AM
When my girls come into season I always think they must have cramps the same as us women do!!!. Lots of cuddles and warmth seems to work for them tho. Dogs usually are very clean when in season, shes just doing what comes naturally.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Sounds perfectly normal to me. Will soon be over and maybe you can get her spayed before her next season, as it does sound like she may be quite uncomfortable - bless her!
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
She is definitely being spayed No one needs to have any worries about that. Its just that my personal preference is not to spay before 12 months.

So by the time she is ready to be done after this season she will have just turned 1 and will be booked in.

Thanks
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I totally agree. I know the general advice is to get them done early but I personally wouldn't go there. I just had my girl done last week and she is 2. I did intend to get her done inbetween the last season but I bottled out (was too scared as she is only 4lbs and I was worried about the anaesthetic). Was glad I did it now as she has been fine. No problems at all.

Please don't think I was saying you must get her spayed asap. I was just saying that if she is suffering a bit this time with cramps, maybe spay her before the next season. Whereas I would normally do it after second season.