Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
This is awful, poor Asha. Do you know what litter she was from, there is a certain line that seems to be behind any epileptic Utonagan. It certainly isn't that common in Utonagan as a whole, but this one line does have more than its fair share of epilepsy and also the rare case of haemophilia every so often. The haemophilia is now being genetically tested for, but unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about testing for epilepsy.
As a breeder of Utonagan I do know what lines to stay away from, and what lines seem to have had odd incidences of epilepsy generations back, but nothing recent.
If I can be of any help, let me know. Linda and Rose can also be of assistance to you as both their Utonagan displayed epilepsy at around 9 months of age and onwards.
9 years old is quite late in life for this to show, so was wondering if there were any other contributing factors, as I have noticed that it does seem to present itself in the first year in Utonagan.
Hi Tawney,

I can't remember the line, I know there was alot of interest when we got her as she looks like she has a funny eye. you may remember where she is from. Her original name was Ayasha, she is white and has colour around one eye but not the other making her look like she has a little eye.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Well the Vet has no idea at the moment, she has told Kay to phone her if she has another and they will try medication and she is booking her for an MRI next week.

Malka I will pass your well wishes to her

xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Now you're mentioning the eye I have an idea about it.
If there's stuff you want to say that you don't want to say on open forum, either direct thread me, or get me through my donehogawa site
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2014, 09:40 AM
I don't think there is anything to hide, Kay has her pedigree somewhere it's just I can't remember off hand. I know she is related to Ima in some way....

We took her on, found out as much as we could, got her spayed and eye tested (all ok) and just carried on from there, if I remember at the time I think we let the Ute Society and the breeder know the outcome of the eye test.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Got a good idea where she is from, there is nothing I have heard of epilepsy in where I think it is, but like Malka says a lot is hidden and there is stuff that is mainly hearsay and suspected but cannot be proved in the background of some of the lines
Maybe there's an underlying problem, or perhaps the meds she's on have caused a reaction
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Sarah - unless your daughter has 100% perfect insurance who will pay for it without question, I would not advise an MRI for a 9 year old dog. OK - she has an MRI and it might show brain damage from who knows what, or it might show a brain tumuor - in either case what would your daughter do? Actually even with 100% insurance I would not put a dog that age through an MRI.

When you said that the vet had no ideas, I just sighed. Because most general vets know so little about canine epilepsy - its causes, possible triggers, or even the fact that it can be, and frequently is, genetic in certain cases.

I am just so lucky in having a Vet who actually does know about canine epilepsy, but I also know that his in a minority.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 10:39 AM
I am really sorry to hear about your daughter's dog. It must be terrifying to witness a fit. I do hope her dog fully recovers and there are no repeat seizures.

Malka I gather you were told by your vet 'not to humour' Pereg and in fact you said by yelling at her yesterday it helped her to calm down .... although I certainly wouldn't advise that in your daughter's case unless she asks her own vet about the advantages of yelling at a dog who is having a seizure, because they must be so scared and confused at the time.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Hi Malka,

I can't answer for my daughter but I know if it was Ima I would do the MRI if I thought there was a chance in hell it would show something.... especially if there was no prior history of seizures.

At the moment we are just keeping our fingers crossed that she doesn't have any more.

Jenny - Thank you. I wouldn't suggest she shout at her but neither was it suggested that Malka shout at Pereg, she wasn't having a seizure at the time it was something I can't spell wasn't it Malka?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2014, 11:07 AM
I was not advised to "yell" at Pereg, and she was in the middle of a Psychomotor seizure, following a a Grand Mal when she is blind and deaf and no amount of "yelling" would get through to her. I did not "yell". I just told her to calm down, and if I spoke loudly then that was what was necessary, because she had to be calmed down before she went into another full blown Grand Mal seizure.

What I was advised to do, by my vet, during the Psychomotor seizure when she was fully aware of me, could hear and could see, was to get through to her that no, she did not need more food, she did not want more food, and she should calm down.

By "not humouring her" was refusing to give her more food when her brain was so mixed up that it thought she was hungry when she was not,.

Jenny - when you have to look after an epileptic dog, and I pray for your sake that you never have to, then, and only then, have you the right to tell me, and my Vet, what to do.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Apologies Imana, I wasn't trying to be clever only to mention something that Malka had said had helped ..... I quote : "She definitely went into a Psychomotor seizure shortly after the Grand Mal but I have to admit that I just yelled at her to stop it and she definitely did start to calm down".

Malka I think you'll find at no time have I told you or your vet what to do
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >