Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=Megsy;2722225]
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post

I know people say that we should expect it because of our chosen breeds reputation...

I disagree so much. Many Staffies are owned by people who have rehomed them - not chosen them for their alleged "aggression" . Staffies are hard to rehome because of this reputation and anyone who saves one deserves a medal - not moaning at.
I disagree with it too...but it's what I am often told. Oh we'll you have to expect it because of the type of dog you chose to have. Or ..if you'd chosen a blonde fluffy type dog then you wouldn't have that problem of people presuming your dog is aggressive. Tonks is the first dog is my only ever non rescue dog and she was chosen specifically for the job she was too I.e. be fantastic with my partners three boys and any children we were to have in the future, to love lots of exercise and to be able to take part in agility. And she fits the bill perfectly!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2013, 07:31 PM
To be honest I'm still undecided about whether to confront the woman or not. I personally don't think that confronting her would do any good - I think she'd lump me into a "typical staffie owner" ha ha and her gossiping would extend from my lovely boy to me as well. I have to say though that the woman is irritating me so much I am not sure I can hold my tongue for much longer.

A bit of background about my boy of which the stupid woman has no knowledge:-

When we were ready to look for another dog after losing our old girl, we attended our local rescue centre and were introduced to 3 dogs, the middle one was so hyper, untrained, feral and very squeaky, - both of us nodded our heads in a "definitely not". That night I couldn't sleep because I knew that if I could dismiss that dog out of hand then he would never be rehomed -so I went back for him, put down my deposit to reserve him, passed our homecheck, I collected him 10 days later. The manager said "bring him back if it doesn't work out", I responded that "when this dog gets into the back of this car you'll never see him again" and I meant it (well we've been back to walk other rescue dogs).

The training has been wonderful, his behaviour extremely challenging but I know so much more about dogs and training and I love him - he's so lovely. He's in so many way just perfect his only problematic issue is he doesn't like other dogs coming up to him , I have to deal with it.

As was said earlier, it was GSDs, then Dobermans, Rottweillers and at the moment its staffies.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 07:49 PM
BAXTER8,
If I were in your situation I think I would have to hold myself back from confronting this woman,so I totally understand but...The thing is its possible that she'll exaggerated and lie about everything you say,probably throw in huge lies about your dog trying to attack her etc etc.Could all get out of hand and lead to God knows what,not worth it in my opinion.The people that really matter know you and your dog and they and you know the real truth,so to hell with her
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I understand why you're in two minds, I'm always torn between keeping schtum and rising above it or confronting people, being branded a 'typical' gobby staffie owner (whatever that is! I was brought up in a middle class family and have a degree) and, worryingly, draw attention to myself and Tonks! And that's me owning a bomb proof staffie with no behavioural issues!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi There is a saying ''Give a Dog a Bad Name" and people will never look past that, or give the dog another chance to redeem it self.I think its up to all staffie owners to show people that this breed is not the villian and can be loving pets,lets have some badges and stickers saying I Love my staffie.Gemini54
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
To be honest I'm still undecided about whether to confront the woman or not. I personally don't think that confronting her would do any good - I think she'd lump me into a "typical staffie owner" ha ha and her gossiping would extend from my lovely boy to me as well. I have to say though that the woman is irritating me so much I am not sure I can hold my tongue for much longer.

A bit of background about my boy of which the stupid woman has no knowledge:-

When we were ready to look for another dog after losing our old girl, we attended our local rescue centre and were introduced to 3 dogs, the middle one was so hyper, untrained, feral and very squeaky, - both of us nodded our heads in a "definitely not". That night I couldn't sleep because I knew that if I could dismiss that dog out of hand then he would never be rehomed -so I went back for him, put down my deposit to reserve him, passed our homecheck, I collected him 10 days later. The manager said "bring him back if it doesn't work out", I responded that "when this dog gets into the back of this car you'll never see him again" and I meant it (well we've been back to walk other rescue dogs).

The training has been wonderful, his behaviour extremely challenging but I know so much more about dogs and training and I love him - he's so lovely. He's in so many way just perfect his only problematic issue is he doesn't like other dogs coming up to him , I have to deal with it.

As was said earlier, it was GSDs, then Dobermans, Rottweillers and at the moment its staffies.
What a lovely inspirational post that is Baxter! And lovely to know that their are other dog lovers as barmy as me!! Your boy sounds similar in some ways to my boy Ben (without the feral and hyper bit!), so I understand the "heart in the mouth moments" that lie behind those few words - well done you for your heartwarming achievement with Baxter ... you should tell this horrible woman what you have achieved.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I understand why you're in two minds, I'm always torn between keeping schtum and rising above it or confronting people, being branded a 'typical' gobby staffie owner (whatever that is! I was brought up in a middle class family and have a degree) and, worryingly, draw attention to myself and Tonks! And that's me owning a bomb proof staffie with no behavioural issues!
You don't need to act like a "typical gobbie staffie owner" in a confrontation. But confront I think the OP most certainly do, before this gets out of hand.

My parents had staffies for a long time - my parents are too old and frail now to have a dog, but they are most definitely anything but a "typical" staffie owner! With the exception of their first one, they always had rescues. The first one was exemplary, all the rescues came with issues but ended up OK.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
You don't need to act like a "typical gobbie staffie owner" in a confrontation. But confront I think the OP most certainly do, before this gets out of hand.

My parents had staffies for a long time - my parents are too old and frail now to have a dog, but they are most definitely anything but a "typical" staffie owner! With the exception of their first one, they always had rescues. The first one was exemplary, all the rescues came with issues but ended up OK.
I wouldn't be like one because I'm not. but people seem to think that I have a chip on my shoulder if I try to explain that they are harbouring misconceptions about my own dog.

I've had 'you'll be sorry when that dog rips your children's faces off, then you'll know that I am right and you were wrong' that was from an OAP while Tonks was doing a lovely sit stay next to me while I sorted out my two children's wellies! All I said to her was 'she's very friendly, you're safe to walk past' that's one of the worst....the most mild just being the looks as they pick up children and dogs and cross the road...to 'I don't like them dogs' said with no provocation from us. Etc etc. All said in front of my children, 4 and 2 years...who are learning that some people hate Tonks with a passion mearly because of how she looks never because she has actually done anything wrong!
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2013, 08:03 PM
What would be your objective in confronting her? I doubt it will leave you any happier with the situation.

Smile, Shout hello and give her a wave and walk away smiling.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
What would be your objective in confronting her? I doubt it will leave you any happier with the situation.

Smile, Shout hello and give her a wave and walk away smiling.
O yes it will! It is always MUCH better to get things off your chest, else you brood - as clearly the OP is doing! No disrespect to her - I have been in this type of situation many, many times over the past 15 years because my chosen type of dog are "northern breed types" - wolfy looking boys. Most people think they are amazing, and we are often surrounded by fans wherever we go, but occasionally you get exactly the opposite - despite the fact that all 4 of the boys that I have had have been exemplary with all humans large and small, and all dogs of all sexes large and small - with the exception of Ben, who is sometimes very aggressive with large male dogs.

My advice would always be to address the issue, calmly, politely but firmly. The OP is being bullied, and one should ALWAYS stand up to bullies, always.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >