Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Alex-Sandie View Post
Thanks for the advice/observations....it is almost embarrassing to write it all out....Darby is perfect in every way except this demon she turns into when I am laying down....and I may add as she is growling and lunging she is wagging her tail....and my hubby is the only one she does it to.....I tease and tell him he must be thinking unkind thoughts about me to warrant this guarding behavior.....I think I will contact the trainer I took my classes with get some input....it certainly isn't going away without some intervention....
: ) good luck. Trouble with wagging tails is they are not always wagging....if you get what I mean. A moving tail can mean a whole load of things. Is the trainer behavioural trained too?

Better to ask questions and do something about it than just keep it to yourself and let the problem get worse. Most dogs have their funny little foibles.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Get the dog to do something else, If he's doing something else he can't be next to you growling.

Perhaps your husband could call him and get him to sit and give a reward. This would bring the dog out of the position where he was showing the unwanted behaviour. He could then approach you with the dog by his side and reward again.
The first reward works in the short term by bring the dog out of his "guarding" position and the second reward works long term by building up a positive association with your husband approaching you.

I would also recommend your husband doing more activities with the dog at other times like, short fun training sessions and feeding, maybe by hand.
ruralex
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2013, 09:14 PM
I agree with Duffy...the dog is "owning" you and you should put a stop to this behavior immediately. It could progress to bites. When your dog behaves in this manner you should immediately say sternly "no" or "stop" or whatever word you wish to use and put the dog in a down/stay command. Practice this repeatedly until the growling stops. Be sure your husband does not display fear or reluctance to enter his own room. I assume the dog won't listen to him? You and your husband must be the leaders and I don't think your dog sees it that way.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Alex-Sandie View Post
Thanks for the advice/observations....it is almost embarrassing to write it all out....Darby is perfect in every way except this demon she turns into when I am laying down....and I may add as she is growling and lunging she is wagging her tail....and my hubby is the only one she does it to.....I tease and tell him he must be thinking unkind thoughts about me to warrant this guarding behavior.....I think I will contact the trainer I took my classes with get some input....it certainly isn't going away without some intervention....
Oh don't get embarrassed here - you are among friends!

You know I was thinking maybe you being 'lying down' when your OH comes in might make you seem vulnerable to him? Not that I know anything worth imparting to you!

I still think if your husband got in the bed first for a while and then you followed it might just be interesting to see if his behaviour changed.

Or you could all go up to bed at the same time and have a race to the bed! (I bet the dog wins!)

The only dogs I've owned that have ever been allowed on beds were the last two because they are miniature dogs. As I didn't even let the BIG dogs go upstairs it wasn't a problem.

I've only ever had two experiences of a dog 'growling' and one was serious - a rescue dog growling at my 18 month old when he toddled into the kitchen and the dog was on the old kitchen couch. That dog had to go back to Battersea - it loved everyone except my baby son. I've no idea why. We'd only just got it and it was a stupid old hobo dog with everyone else.

And my last old GSD and it's how we found out she had a painful lump on a breast. I was making a fuss of her on her bed as she was quite unwell anyway and as I rubbed her belly she growled at me. I nearly died of shock - she was 10 yrs old and never growled at any of us. It was because it was causing her pain.

You obviously cannot ignore this problem and I bet deep down your OH might feel quite upset or at least a tad annoyed by this?

I think it could be a good idea that your husband becomes the source of 'all good things' for the dog for a while maybe? No treats unless he gives them to him, stuff like that?

You see I am trying to make up for my light hearted earlier response! I stopped myself saying 'keep the dog and change the husband' lol!
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Get the dog to do something else, If he's doing something else he can't be next to you growling.

Perhaps your husband could call him and get him to sit and give a reward. This would bring the dog out of the position where he was showing the unwanted behaviour. He could then approach you with the dog by his side and reward again.
The first reward works in the short term by bring the dog out of his "guarding" position and the second reward works long term by building up a positive association with your husband approaching you.

I would also recommend your husband doing more activities with the dog at other times like, short fun training sessions and feeding, maybe by hand.
That's all very well, provided the dog isn't over its threshold. If it is, treats are no use.

Agree with hubby getting more into fun things and training sessions.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Oh don't get embarrassed here - you are among friends!

You know I was thinking maybe you being 'lying down' when your OH comes in might make you seem vulnerable to him? Not that I know anything worth imparting to you!

I still think if your husband got in the bed first for a while and then you followed it might just be interesting to see if his behaviour changed.

Or you could all go up to bed at the same time and have a race to the bed! (I bet the dog wins!)

The only dogs I've owned that have ever been allowed on beds were the last two because they are miniature dogs. As I didn't even let the BIG dogs go upstairs it wasn't a problem.

I've only ever had two experiences of a dog 'growling' and one was serious - a rescue dog growling at my 18 month old when he toddled into the kitchen and the dog was on the old kitchen couch. That dog had to go back to Battersea - it loved everyone except my baby son. I've no idea why. We'd only just got it and it was a stupid old hobo dog with everyone else.

And my last old GSD and it's how we found out she had a painful lump on a breast. I was making a fuss of her on her bed as she was quite unwell anyway and as I rubbed her belly she growled at me. I nearly died of shock - she was 10 yrs old and never growled at any of us. It was because it was causing her pain.

You obviously cannot ignore this problem and I bet deep down your OH might feel quite upset or at least a tad annoyed by this?

I think it could be a good idea that your husband becomes the source of 'all good things' for the dog for a while maybe? No treats unless he gives them to him, stuff like that?

You see I am trying to make up for my light hearted earlier response! I stopped myself saying 'keep the dog and change the husband' lol!
Great post and you still made me laugh at the end
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 01:33 AM
I wouldn't let your dog in the bedroom until she earns the privilege again. One of my dogs would act up with the couch. We let him have too much freedom to fast which resulted in him thinking the couch belonged to him. He even tried to bit several times. It didn't take too long after the fact that the couch was off-limits to realize what the appropriate behaviours are and now he's as good as gold with couch privileges.

If you still want her in your bedroom, maybe you can get your husband to have her on a leash and walk in with her. The change of routine may take away the urge to resource guard you.

I hope it all works out for you quickly. She sounds like a real gem.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2