Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Jack is rather lovely you must be proud !
Thank you - I am - very! This was a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately I have pulled my hamstring so have not been able to do any agility which is extremely frustrating when he started off so well!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 12:57 PM
That's not so good hope it gets better soon.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post

When will it stop?!?!?!
When you condition her that it's more rewarding to keep her feet on the ground.

Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
but the more stubborn they are, the smarter they usually are!
Or less trained!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
That's not so good hope it gets better soon.
Thank you!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 01:59 PM
She's 5 months old and we are trying to teach her not to jump up.
This past week or so she has started not only jumping but biting with it!!!!!!!!!
Not a proper bite, more like mouthing but you feel it and as soon as she gets down you feel the teeth going with her.
She has already put holes in some of my favourite dresses!

Why is she doing this????
She barely bit at all as a puppy.
She's a lot bigger now and she doesn't seem to get not jumping.

When she jumps we ignore her, turn around and praise when she's down.
Two or more weeks consistently and there's been no improvement.
Sometimes I wonder if she's actually a collie!
for an intelligent breed she's real slow to pick up some things.

When will it stop?!?!?!
It will stop when you have trained her that jumping & mouthing is not acceptable & not rewarding.

It's not enough to simply turn your back & expect her to realize that you did it because she jumped up.

At our pet club we teach a very simple technique with the dog on a lead being held by someone you approach normally, if the dog starts to up up you turn away & walk away. This is then repeated until the dog remains on all 4 paws & then you click & reward.( This is coupled with teaching the dog to sit & give attention to you which is taught separately at first whilst you are sitting down ) It the dog starts to sit than again click & treat. This technique can work amazingly fast, for example it took a 6 month old Jack Russell 30 secs to learn to not jump up & a nearly 3 year old Manchester Terrier 1 minute to learn.

I stop mouthing by simply never(& I do mean never)react when a puppy or dog nips or mouths me, my youngest dog(14 week old BC puppy)stopped mouthing the day I got him, he also learnt not to jump up on the same day.

The key factor in dog training is consistency & not changing from method to method after a couple of attempts. Patience is also a must. Dogs are not stupid & slow to learn.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Lovely lovely Jack! Bella did this when she was a tiny pup. Well she was so tiny we reckoned she had to 'jump up' to reach us! She still jumps sometimes now (when she wants to be picked up) but without the nipping. She used to be able to jump just high enough to reach your derriere!

I remember when my boys were tiddlers and I had a GSD puppy - all their PJs were riddled with puppy teeth holes.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2013, 02:59 PM
joedee that sounds great, to check I've understood correctly.

I have Penelope on a lead?
When someone, say hubby, approaches if she goes to jump I turn and walk away immediately?

Then praise when on the ground?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Thank you - I am - very! This was a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately I have pulled my hamstring so have not been able to do any agility which is extremely frustrating when he started off so well!
Hamstring OUCH! I know what that feels like. Painful. Have you been advised to do gentle stretches and massage it?

*back to the subject. I've been reminded of when Bella was very young and had emerged from her dire illness and my daughter exclaimed loudly 'Mum she bit my @rse!!' I said 'oh don't be daft' whereupon Jen lifted her skirt and showed me the nip marks! lol! She'd been standing walking away from her when it happened but Bella, at the time, was all of about 6 inches tall! Quite bouncy dogs these minpins!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Hamstring OUCH! I know what that feels like. Painful. Have you been advised to do gentle stretches and massage it?
One of the few benefits of working for the NHS is that you are fast-tracked for a physio appointment! I've had a few sessions, including ultrasound, and exercises to stretch. Now I have exercises to strengthen the muscle as well as the stretching ones. I ordered a neoprene support but it was too big so I'm just going to use vetwrap and bandage my leg up to give me confidence. I'm planning to go to a show tomorrow so just hope that I don't strain it again!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 05:25 PM
joedee that sounds great, to check I've understood correctly.

I have Penelope on a lead?
When someone, say hubby, approaches if she goes to jump I turn and walk away immediately?

Then praise when on the ground?
No the person holding the dog doesn't move, it's the other person who moves away if the dog jumps up & the other person also clicks & treats if the dog keeps all 4 paws on the ground
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >