View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 04:42 PM
There is a definite difference between a 'dog person' and somebody who owns dogs. I think you can own dogs all your life and still be clueless about them.

Dogs interest me - their welfare, their behaviour, their diet, the breeds etc so I seek to find out information which will make my dogs lives the best they practicably can be.

I know people who own dogs, have been around and owned dogs all their life yet they dont know the first thing about canines in general. They dont have a deep enough interest to provide the motivation for learning.
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2012, 05:21 PM
I definitely fall into the dog person category, whereas most of my friends with dogs are people who own dogs - whilst I love discussing behaviour, breeds, training, etc. they aren't interested in dogs beyond having them as pets. You can just see the colour drain out of their faces when I start getting into my dog talk - they just are not interested but sometimes I can't help myself.
Tikali
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Yes, definitely. I’m the dog person, my husband just happens to live with one! He would never have any pets by his own choice, but has loved all our dogs. I do all the feeding, walking, house training, general training, poo picking etc etc., but he will walk and feed if I am unable to at any time, and he does come out for the occasional walk when the weather’s dry He hasn’t a clue about training, he’d never read a dog training/behaviour book, or attend a seminar or training club, but loves to see dogs doing ‘proper jobs’ i.e. police work, sniffer dogs, sheep herding. He thinks Dylan is a superstar because he does (and loves) nosework. Very strangely though, he’s the one who will get the comb out when Lobo’s (husky x) hair is coming out in tufty handfuls, and get to work on Dylan with the clippers when he’s looking overly shaggy and scruffy, which is great as I hate grooming coats like his. It works well as I can train the way I want to and then just say “do it this way”, “don’t do that”………….
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I definitely see a difference...

I am a dog person... most of the people I know around here are just people who own dogs.
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I agree - massive difference! I am a total dog person through and through, or shall I say crazy dog lady!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wozzy View Post
There is a definite difference between a 'dog person' and somebody who owns dogs. I think you can own dogs all your life and still be clueless about them.

Dogs interest me - their welfare, their behaviour, their diet, the breeds etc so I seek to find out information which will make my dogs lives the best they practicably can be.

I know people who own dogs, have been around and owned dogs all their life yet they dont know the first thing about canines in general. They dont have a deep enough interest to provide the motivation for learning.
This is what i would say is the difference too, me and OH take an active interest in dog welfare, learning theory, training methods, diet, workin and sports etc - most people i know just treat their dogs like a piece of furniture. The number of dog owning family/friends i know who don't even walk their dogs never mind anything else......
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Oh yes I am a self confessed dog nerd. My partner has become one too, although he's not into showing like I am. I have changed my whole life since getting our first dog together and we are moving house next year to have more space for the dogs too. Most of my friends are connected with showing so dogs are pretty much all we talk about.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 09:12 PM
OOh, I am now analysing myself! I was the last one in my house to want a dog, i am now the one in my house completely besotted by the two dogs, the second fully my decision to want! I read and learn regularly about my dogs and other dog breeds (so i can gain an insight into dogs in general that one day might help me in anything that may arise). I would happily talk about my dogs and do my dog things endlessly.

I love to read and hear about other peoples dogs, but i don't think i am a dog person, because whilst i don't dislike any dog and quite like a few breeds of dogs, the only dogs i am really comfortable with, cant help myself but want to stroke etc are my two.

I don't have an overwhelming desire to be particularly close to anyone else's dogs, don't want them harmed, but don't feel the real love kind of thing.

But my dogs have bowled me over hook line and sinker and i would go to the end of the world for them.

Hubby also loves our dogs, seems to feel fairly similar about other peoples but he doesn't like to get involved in all things doggy, will walk them and feed them, but does not do the vet visits, the cleaning, the grooming, any more than any of the basic training reinforcement etc, and doesn't spend hours on gundog forums or dog forums/fb talking about them!

So i guess that makes me a 'my dogs person'
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Dog curled up on sofa.

Boss stroking his bum.

Boss: That's a very strange face - why's he pulling a face like that?

Me: He's not that keen on having his bum stroked.

Boss: No! - Look - he's just licked my hand.

Me: Yes. Although he does like fuss, he'd really rather not have his bum stroked.

Boss: Oh

He's head over heels with his dog - but not sure I'd describe him as a dog person.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 02:08 PM
I am a dog person , I always have been and always will be .
My whole life revolves around my dogs and I am the one with the separation anxiety if I have to leave them !
My OH probably wouldn't even have a dog if it were not for me .
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >