Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-06-2011, 12:08 PM

Small dogs mature faster ???

Never having owned a small dog puppy ,i was trying to get some more info on growth and maturing ..
Things like losing puppy teeth ??
First season ??
Losing puppy coats ....??
Do they happen quicker in a small dog ???

Ty, jj
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I only have BCs but my friend has a yorkie pup who has just started loosing puppy teeth, she is about 6months now. My BCs lost/ started to loose theirs younger than this, I think.
My friends pup has got quite a wiry coat so probably already adult coat, Gemma, my BC pup had very fine puppy hair until about 5 months..so probably about the same age there.

As for seasons, I couldnt really say, Gem was supposed to have a season at about 6 months..shes now 8months with no signs lol
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 01:43 PM
I think teeth are about the same age in most breeds. Seasons vary widely between different bitches anyway. My earliest was 5 months my latest 13 months & they were both shepherds. However my friends smaller dogs do mostly seem to mature earlier coatwise & mentally. Always surprises me as because they mainly live longer I would expect them to be later maturing.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Teeth and seasons aren't usually that much different to larger breeds, but growth is completed quicker, as well as emotional maturity. My friend's toy breed pup is 16 weeks and height wise fully grown, whereas a large breed pup would still have loads of growing to do. I think some small breeds may be sexually mature quicker, but many don't start their seasons till they are a year or more. It's an individual thing.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:41 AM
My Poppy was fully grown by about 6 months, where as Bailey didn't stop until about 14-18months! She lost her Puppy teeth at about 6 months same as larger dogs but she mentally matured much quicker and the 'terrible teen' stage didn't last as long as with Bailey and started much earlier