View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Should I Let Vet Take Milo In (Updated post #15)

Poor Milo has had runs for a week now and despite trying starvation for 24 hrs which then upset his stomach ulcer, bland diet, Kaolin and antibiotics, he is getting worse.
Today he didn't want to go for a walk and is very quiet, not like Milo at all. He is having the runs every half hour and can't hold himself properly and there is big blobs of red jelly stuff in the poo.
Only normal thing is his appetite and he is not dehydrated I don't think which is surprising.
Vet saw him again yesterday but today he is worse still so spoke to her this morning and she said to take him again this afternoon and it may be best for them to take him in and put him on a drip and starve him for 24/48hrs where they can watch for problems with acid and his stomach ulcer. She said its up to me if they take him in or I try again at home.
One part of me knows I have been trying everything for a week and he has only got worse so vets is probably the best place to get him right once and for all and they can see things first hand and do any tests they may need.
But he hates the vets and shakes and cringes with fear the whole time he is there. So I feel really awful at putting him there to stay as I know he will be so scared.
What would you all do I have to leave in 20 mins.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Would your vets allow you to stay with him for a while to settle him? Once he has the drip in he will start to feel so much better, maybe they will be able to sedate him a bit too. He has got colitis by the sounds of it and although he isn't dehydrated at the moment, these things have a funny way of creeping up, and then his organs will be in danger. I understand your reservations but I would have him put on the drip myself.

Big hugs, I know you'll do what you feel best for him xxxx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
TAKE HIM TO THE VET ASAP.
The red lobby stuff you mentioned is probs blood, but I am no expert.
Yea get him to the vet his health is most important. I know he's scared of the vet but he will get over it
Keep us posted and good luck
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
If he were mine, he'd be in the Vet now, best place.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I think you already know that the vet is the best place. I also think it is a good idea to ask if you can stay with him until he is settled.
Poor Milo, his system sounds as if it just needs a total rest.
(((hugs))) to you both, you must be so worried about him xx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Take Milo to the vets hun, good luck and let us know how things go x
sleepy wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Go to the vet stay with him a while my friends dog had collits and they nearly lost him. I'm sure it's not that serious in your case but these things can change quickly.
I will hold him in my thoughts for you. Sending big hugs
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Definitely Vets. Lots of healing vibes going out to Milo...hope he feels better soon.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 01:18 PM
You already know the answer to this question. Take him to the vets and let them keep him in. He's sounds like he's feeling really poorly at the moment and if he were to freak out too much they can always go down the route of sedating him to keep him calm if necessary. It's far easier for them to diagnose and cure if they can monitor him one on one rather than via the telephone.

I hope he's feeling better soon and I'm sending big hugs your way as I type.

Heidi
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Sending hugs and hope he is ok soon.xx
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »