Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 06:53 PM

A Horsey Update

So after much pondering we have sold Dixie and Luna. They went together to a great new home. They have a 7 acre pasture all to themselves and its full of tall grass. They are going to be very spoiled. We really would have liked to keep Luna but money wise we just couldnt.

We have also moved Sassy and Sunny to a new place. There were many problems that were going on and one of the worst was that Sassy wasnt getting enough food and the owner of the property wouldnt let us give her anymore. She was only getting half of what she should have been getting. He wasnt allowing us to make any decisions with our horses and acted as though he owned them. Sassy has lost weight since Sunny was born and I feel awful! However, she has been moved and we are going to feed her every day ourselves. For now her and Sunny are in a round pen until the two horses that are currently in the pasture they are going to be in leave the property, which should be happening very soon. One of the horses would most likely have a go at the baby so we are avoiding that.

I will get some pics soon. Sunny is growing and hes such a handsome boy
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Well here are the pics that I promised.

Having dinner He is eating now too!!

Coming over to check out the phone

Momma's pretty face

Giving his mom some nuzzles

My turn, hehe

I love this pic of Sunny being silly, but you can see what I mean about Sassy

Too bad I cut his nose off....
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Sunny is gorgeous
I'm pleased you've been able to move them to a new place where you can have a bit more control. I'm sure she'll pick up in no time.
I swear by soya oil for careful weight-gain. When my Thoroughbred was very thin after an infection, I added a large cup of oil to his feeds and fed him over three meals per day, to make it easier to absorb the nutrients. The oil is very high in calories without being heating, and the difference in him was quite incredible.

Sorry to hear about Dixie and Luna but it's great that they've gone to a good home.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks. And actually with just the couple of days that she has been getting the food she needs, she is already putting on weight. Im shocked to see a change in her but she really its putting on some, we can barely see her ribs now. We are going to lunch her some tomorrow and get her working slowly again, to build up her muscle.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 08:48 AM
She will come good now you have total control.
Sunny looks lovely and cheeky.xx
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
wow what a stunner

wish my girls were still into horses, i used to love being around them on a daily basis
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
So glad things have turned out well in the end. Be careful how long you lunge her, because 20 mins. on the lunge is equivalent to a good hour's hard hack - remember that bit! Certainly don't go faster than a trot in the early stages, she's been out of work for a long time by the sounds of it and she needs all that energy she has to put the weight back on. You can't build any muscle up until you've got the fat there to turn into muscle, and if she hasn't got any fat, then you won't be building up the muscle, you could even damage them if she's a bit on the lean side. Only trying to be helpful here, just in case you need a hand! Good luck,I'm sure you'll do a great job now that you can feed them as they should be fed.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks Yeah I was just planning on a quick 10 or so minute lunge. Nothing too big. Just to get her moving a bit and loosen her up. Plus shes in a round pen atm for, a bit of exercise will be good for her.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Wow, that mare is skin and bone Seriously, the spine sticking up like that is a very bad sign!

IMO you should not be doing ANY work with her whatsoever until she has put weight on. She needs lots of grass (if you're short of grass fill her with as much hay as she will eat) and also something weight gaining like Barley. My youngster is on Barley, sugar beet, alfalfa with cod liver oil to help her gain weight and condition.

The last thing you need to be doing right now is any kind of work with her, she needs to gain fat before she gains muscle. Just turn her out with her foal and feed her as much food as she will eat - little and often though or her body wont digest the good bits!!
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 01:19 AM
We didnt actually work her. I dont know where my lounge line went. She's already on a special diet to help her gain weight and is actually doing very well on it. Like I said with the amount of food she was getting and with a new foal and being underweight in the first place it wasnt a good situation, which is why she has been moved out of there. I spent a night talking with Zoeybeau about all that was going on and she was very helpful and I guess you could say gave me the guts to get her out of there and stand up for her. Which I really thank her for. But now she is getting 12 pounds (vs the 6 she was getting) of food (special high fat diet) a day and we throw a ton of hay in there morning and night. She cant be turned loose just yet because the gelding that is out in her pasture will kill Sunny. But he is leaving VERY soon and then she will have grass also.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >