Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-07-2008, 01:28 PM

Yelping on walks but only some of them.

Hi i have a problem with TJ my collie cross when i take both dogs out for their evening walk he pulls on the lead and yelps all the way to the field by the industrial estate, where i walk them. The rest of the walks during the day he is fine on or off lead not rally pulling and no yelping. He also does this when we take them out for the day, we took them both to borton on the water the other week he yelped all the way up one side of the water and all the way down the other side, he only stopped on the few occasions when he jumped in the water, we had the same problem last year and also when we took them to Blackpool the only time he didn't yelp was on the beach, but he yelped all the way to the seafront then all the way back to the car. We even tried putting him back in the car to see if he calmed down, nope he just looked out of the back window yelping. But if he's on his own he doesn't do it, but of course we like them to have a day out together. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing him to do this.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 07:33 PM
hi
reading this ,so reminds me of our willow ,she is allso collie x with rough collie .if we walk her on the road walks (which i have stopped doing due to this very problem ) she barks none stop ,if she is with .me, on her own ,or if dylan our other collie is there ,she dos the same . if she sees another dog ,she barks really loud (shows me up) i tried walking her in halti ,didnt make any diffrence
so we just drive ,into the areas ,we walk her now(so much easyer) . how ever i would love to ,solve this problem she is a lovely dog ,and if you meet us on a walk ,you wouldnt ,dream that she would be like this on a street walk
i havent any solutions for you ,but i will ,read this post with interest ,to see what the ,other members make of it . so we are in the same boat i did how ever wonder ,(she is recue ) that some think in her previous life ,scared her on a street walk (she didnt like men or hoodys ,when she first arrived )we now walk with a young lad ,that has helped ,bring willow round to young lads
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-07-2008, 10:23 AM
TJ's a rescue as well have just taken him on the same route to the same place, no pulling and no yelping it just seems to be that last walk of the evening, or if they are out for the day.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2008, 05:58 PM
it sounds to me like they are very excited for going for that walk trigger used to do this so i would stop and go the other way till he learnt that if he kept up with the barking i would not go that way and walk back towards the house it worked and now he is quit till we get there and i let him off for play. good luck guys hope you get it sorted.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by sjpurt View Post
it sounds to me like they are very excited for going for that walk trigger used to do this so i would stop and go the other way till he learnt that if he kept up with the barking i would not go that way and walk back towards the house it worked and now he is quit till we get there and i let him off for play. good luck guys hope you get it sorted.
some of it is excitement ,but i do think that ,in willows case ,she is deff scared of somethink from her past ,as her tail is up her bottom and she just looks all scared .ive tried the walking back woulds ,changeing direction thing .im at present trying to get her to walk off lead ,so have changed her walk ,pattern ,took her into a park ,and with the help of oh ,we are trying to get her to walk to heel ,as we approach the car ,its just going to take time a part from this she is a little stunner
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I just can't understand why it's that walk if i take them over there for one of there other walks he fine no pulling no yelping have tried turning back towards the house he has no problem with that, or even taking him another route he fine with that too. But if we go out for the day he does it no matter what we do, or which ever way we go, we tried sending one adult off five minutes ahead, but then he cried coz an adult was missing.