Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 07:51 PM

my pup has the runs...

Hello there, as you are probably aware I am constanly worrying about my puppy.. She has had diarrohea all of today, She has only had her usual puppy food to et but does have a tendency to play with moss and mud in the garden? Could there be anything wrong or is it usual for pups to have this from time to time? She is fine in herself...as active as ever!! Please help.

Thanks
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 07:58 PM
When we had are two first i was worrying about their poo all the time, we examined everyone . but as long as it doesn't go on to long and there isn't any blood in their or anything that shouldnt be, your pup should be find but if you get to worried i would go to the vets tomorrow and get her checked out.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:01 PM
its only really happened today, did your pups get it then? Im wondering if maybe its all the things she finds in the garden? I gave her weetabix and goats milk last week and that really upset her tummy.. but they had been fine again till today!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah ours had the runs alot, we changed there food to jameswell beloved and it seemed to carm down but not sure if it was the food or just they got older. they didnt eat much in the garden but do now the bu**ers
Just keep an eye on her.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:25 PM
When I got Max, the whole litter had diarrhea and it continued for a few days. He was absolutely fine in himself but I had his first set of jabs the day after I got him anyway so I mentioned it to the vet and the food that his breeder had them on was too rich. I gave him Pro-Kolin for 3 days and fed him on Boiled Chicken and Rice for a week. His tummy settled down quite quickly afterwards.

If she is ok in herself and it has only been today I wouldn't be too worried at the moment. Keep an eye on her and if it persists for 3 - 4 days or contains blood or puppy becomes flat then make an appointment to see the vet. It may be an idea to feed a bland diet such as boiled chicken/white fish and rice for a couple of days. This will be no good for puppy long term but may help to settle her stomach. As for medical advice the only person who can help you there is the vet

Hope puppy is better soon!
Zanny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:25 PM
In my opinion. If your puppy has the runs for more then 2 days then you could phone the vet and talk to him.

But answer these questions first. What did your puppy eat today/yesterday, have you given your puppy anything new to try ie a new treat or a scrap from your dinner, is there anything the poo ie blood, undigested food, is your puppy up to day with his wormers, has your puppy been in contact with any other dogs in the pass couple of days and were these dogs ill?

How old is your puppy?
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:32 PM
she is 11 weeks, The only dog she comes into contact with is my mums westie who is fully innouclated. She has just had her normal puppy food to eat but she did steal a dorito from the coffee table on sat night? I soon moved them out of reach! Other than that she has been acting fine?
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by annajennison View Post
she is 11 weeks, The only dog she comes into contact with is my mums westie who is fully innouclated. She has just had her normal puppy food to eat but she did steal a dorito from the coffee table on sat night? I soon moved them out of reach! Other than that she has been acting fine?
As I said keep an eye on her for a couple of days. If the diarrhea persists for more than a couple (3 days), contains any blood, is accompanied by vomitting or if puppy becomes lethargic or restless (basically not her normal self) then give the vet a call. You could try a bland diet for a couple of days. For this I use boiled chicken and rice. White fish and rice is also an option. Be aware that this is not a complete diet by any means and should not be fed long term, only for a couple of days to see if the stomach settles.

Also make sure she is drinking enough as with diarrhea, they can become dehydrated just like humans. If you are concerned then give your vet a call, remember they are there to help

The one thing I would be aware of is that although your mums dog is fully vaccinated, he/she will still be carrying germs which could possibly be harmful to your puppy so be careful until puppy is vaccinated herself.

Good luck
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 09:15 PM
young dogs seem to get diarrhea very frequently. Is she pooing more than usual or is it just loose stools? If the poo is just looser than usual and she's going the same number of times feed chicken and rice or potato until firm stools are seen again. If she is pooing very frequently you could starve her for 18- 24 hrs but make sure she has plenty water to drink. Sometimes they like to lick an ice cube from your hand. After that period feed very small quantities of cooked chicken breast and boiled white rice several times a day until her poo is back to normal then gradually return her to a normal diet. Mashed potato is good too. Some dogs don't tolerate the lactose in milk very well so it could have been the milk. Try rice milk or soya milk if feeding cereal. Let us know when she gets better and try not to worry.:smt001