Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Personally, and its only my opinion, but I would think most of your new owners will not be into raw feeding , and given the likelihood of this I would feed your pups a good qauilty kibble, which you can send home within your puppy pack.

As people have said, many new owners go on to feed their own choice anyway, so looking at the odds, is it not best for the pups to only have one change of food... kibble A to kibble B, rather than , half raw , half kibble them straight onto kibble if the new owner does not like raw.

What best for the pups is as little change as possible. and it seems to me, raw and kibble then the owners choice of food , is a lot for little tums to cope with.
what kibble would you like then? i thought about feeding them arden grange kibble, mine have this now and again, and its the only kibble they will eat on its own with nothing mixed in.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
what kibble would you like then? i thought about feeding them arden grange kibble, mine have this now and again, and its the only kibble they will eat on its own with nothing mixed in.
I would go with what you like to feed, there are many out there AG is one of the best.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I think you should do what you think is right rather than trying to predict what the new owners will do once they get the pup home. I intended to continue with what my breeder was feeding my pup and gradually change her over to raw, she however had completely different ideas and went on hunger strike until I gave in and gave her the same as the others. She came home with a massive bag of Arden grange which she wouldn't entertain at all. The change of food didn't upset her tummy at all. I think the half and half arrangement would be as good as any.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I think you should do what you think is right rather than trying to predict what the new owners will do once they get the pup home. I intended to continue with what my breeder was feeding my pup and gradually change her over to raw, she however had completely different ideas and went on hunger strike until I gave in and gave her the same as the others. She came home with a massive bag of Arden grange which she wouldn't entertain at all. The change of food didn't upset her tummy at all. I think the half and half arrangement would be as good as any.
doing what i think is right would be to feed completely raw. i switched asbo straight away as he did what your pup did and refused his dry food.

thats why i thought the least i could do would be to feed half and half, then at least they have a good quality dry food to switch to if they really dont like the idea of raw.
firesrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I raised my last litter (3 1/2 years ago) on to a half raw half dry diet (arden grange) 1 is still fed a half/half diet and is doing great 2 are completly raw fed (that includes the girl i kept) all the others have been changed onto various other complete diets.
I picked up my new pup 8 weeks ago she was also weened on to a half/half diet which at the moment i have kept her on (complete food is fish4dogs) I will decided later on what she will be fed or i may not change at all
dollypeeps
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2012, 03:58 PM
My Danes got half and half with tuna and sardines thrown in for good measure. Its in my puppy pack that if changing to do so over 4-7days so as not to upset tummies and to not keep changing it as they can turn into fuss pots. Have to say mine are weaned at 3.5 weeks cos of size and the size of litters too.

I find all my furbabies new owners stay in contact as I have [a social network]. I can then see the updates which is nice.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by dollypeeps View Post
My Danes got half and half with tuna and sardines thrown in for good measure. Its in my puppy pack that if changing to do so over 4-7days so as not to upset tummies and to not keep changing it as they can turn into fuss pots. Have to say mine are weaned at 3.5 weeks cos of size and the size of litters too.

I find all my furbabies new owners stay in contact as I have 'another site'. I can then see the updates which is nice.
ooh you will have to post some pictures of your dogs i love danes

i think im going to wean the pups on half and half then let the owners choose.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2012, 04:13 PM
I think with feeding raw not a massive amount of every day/average sort of dog owners know about it - I didnt until I got into forums.

Although I have never bred and never intend to, I would be happy at least for them to be on a high quality dry food (like Arden Grange) if the prospective buyers werent confident with feeding raw. Although I think it would be a good thing for them to speak about and you could inform them about it but ultimately would be up to them. If it was me buying a puppy again I would put on to good kibble again even if the breeder was feeding raw
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Zuluandnaomi View Post
I think with feeding raw not a massive amount of every day/average sort of dog owners know about it - I didnt until I got into forums.

Although I have never bred and never intend to, I would be happy at least for them to be on a high quality dry food (like Arden Grange) if the prospective buyers werent confident with feeding raw. Although I think it would be a good thing for them to speak about and you could inform them about it but ultimately would be up to them. If it was me buying a puppy again I would put on to good kibble again even if the breeder was feeding raw
thats why im weaning them onto natural instinct. its already a complete food, so all they have to do is open the tub and give them the correct ammount, but will give them a guide and websites if they want to feed raw but not buy the complete food.
i dont mind owners feeding dry, but as people have said feed what you think is best, for me i believe raw is.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
The OHs family puppy was kind of fed part raw.. they use a kibble and mix in raw mince (although I've read this isnt ideal as they digest at different rates?)

Personally I think most people change the food pretty soon after getting the pup anyway. I fed Kestral for a week or so on what the breeder had her on, before making my own choices.
But seeing as you are a keen raw feeder theres nothing wrong with feeding the pups on it and promoting it as a good way of feeding, and offering suggested high quality kibbles or wet foods as back ups? I think the main thing is getting prospective owners to have a reasonable understanding of what to look for in a food.. that way when they come to change, they at least know what sort of thing to be looking for

How are they all doing?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >