Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2012, 07:37 AM

Feeding RMBs daily

At the moment Pereg has a RMB for meal #1 every other day. Either chicken wings [3], a chicken back [including neck and tail and very meaty], or half a large turkey neck.

Would it be OK to give her such a RMB meal every day as it seems to satiate her so that she wants less in the evening for her second meal?

I probably will not be taking her to be weighed until her next shots [and full blood work-up] is due in April, but she definitely looks as if she is slowly losing the weight she gained from when she first started medication. Her last weigh-in she was 20kg and we really want to get her down to 18kg maximum.
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2012, 08:43 AM
My two have RMB every day either in the form of chicken portions/carcuss or lamb bones, i was worried they would get constipated but they seem fine, they do have fibre everyday so I think that helps. My girl has had two luxating patella ops and she has put on weight because she has no exercise so we are hoping as she gets more mobile she will lose weight
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 09:27 AM
i know lots of people that feed an rmb every day and their dogs are fine.

i tried it with mine and they wouldnt have it. i think they got bored, and also were just too full because for them their rmb is literally one chicken wing, and even then some of them are too big weight wise so they have to have a smaller breakfast.

so mine have them monday, wednesday, friday evenings.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 09:34 AM
If I had the freezer space I would like to feed RMB's in the evening with Mince in the morning. As long as it suits Pereg (this means poo watching) then it's fine. I'm sure she won't mind anyway. We all know Pereg

She shouldn't put on any weight if you measure it out as if she's 18kgs already, so 360g - 540g.

How's her walker going, I know you mentioned someone would be taking her out.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
If I had the freezer space I would like to feed RMB's in the evening with Mince in the morning. As long as it suits Pereg (this means poo watching) then it's fine. I'm sure she won't mind anyway. We all know Pereg

She shouldn't put on any weight if you measure it out as if she's 18kgs already, so 360g - 540g.

How's her walker going, I know you mentioned someone would be taking her out.
Pereg seems to be happier with a RMB for her first meal [anywhere between noon and 2pm] and then raw meat plus vegetables for her second meal. At the moment I have been alternating meal #1 between a RMB and something like low fat soft cheese with an egg and vegetables - or cheese and yoghurt and vegetables - but I am wondering if giving her RMB for meal #1 every day is OK. She has no poo problems and I do give her raw liver about twice a week.

The walker? Started well but then she went away to a different university so was not around much, and even though Pereg liked to go out with her she was always happier when they turned round to come home. I think that Avishag was frightened that Pereg might have a seizure while they were out and somehow that was conveyed to Pereg in that Pereg just wanted to come home. So for 15-20 minutes walk I honestly do not think it did Pereg any good.

I bought some electronic scales so I do know how much to give Pereg and she definitely looks slimmer. She has her waist back, her tuck is definitely there, and I can not only feel her ribs and spine but can almost get my hand under her rib cage.

So I guess that if a daily RMB meal suits her then I should give it to her and stop worrying!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 11:15 AM
There you go - you have your answer there Such a shame about your walker though.. at least Pereg got out for a little bit.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Every dog is different, if she is fine with it then cool
Personally mine can only cope with bones once or twice a week - a little more for soft chicken bones
Ben get really constipated when I tried more
But I dont feed veggies, I read a barf diet can have more bones cos the veggies easies the constipation
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Every dog is different, if she is fine with it then cool
Personally mine can only cope with bones once or twice a week - a little more for soft chicken bones
Ben get really constipated when I tried more
But I dont feed veggies, I read a barf diet can have more bones cos the veggies easies the constipation
Fine with it? If you could only see Pereg with the RMBs I give her...

chomp chomp chomp - but these are only chicken or turkey so maybe not so hard. And she does have veggies, lots of them, because she likes them. Well she would not eat them if she did not, would she!

Never a sign of constipation so I guess that I must be doing the right thing, and now I will try a RMB meal two days out of three to see what happens. If all is as normal then she can have a daily one.

I just want to make sure that I am doing the correct thing.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
LOL I mean internally, my two would eat all the bones I could give them
Chicken bones are so much softer, but I have found with Ben I cant even give him a whole meal of oxtail else he has very hard painful crumbly poos. But just play it by ear - or poo as the case is - when it goes hard and crumbly then its too much bone
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
LOL I mean internally, my two would eat all the bones I could give them
Chicken bones are so much softer, but I have found with Ben I cant even give him a whole meal of oxtail else he has very hard painful crumbly poos. But just play it by ear - or poo as the case is - when it goes hard and crumbly then its too much bone
Oxtail is almost impossible to get here, and when it is it costs a fortune! So the only RMBs Pereg gets are poultry - chicken wings/carcases/backs or turkey necks. She has never had problems with poo but then as I said she does have a lot of [lightly steamed] vegetables - she likes them and they help fill her up.

I just want to keep her well and happy, and hopefully lose the weight she gained. She definitely looks and feels slimmer but I will not know until she is next weighed. And in the meantime? RMBs it is for her!