View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Is it just a confidence thing or a GSD thing?

when out and about with Zeita be it on holidays or walking. If any of us (more so me) so much as walks away or even in front of her while walking she goes mad. Yelling and barking almost in panic that we will not come back. She hates my boys running up front when she is on lead and pulls to keep up to them, like wise if they are behing she is pulling to get back to level with them. Now we have lots of camping trips planned for next year and it would be lovely to let the boys go play without her yelling, or for me to go for a shower with out her calling to me . She is a very clingy girly esp with me, she sleeps upstairs with us, hates being left but settles after about 5 minutes when I listen from outside . Its all protesting I know but when on a campsite others might not like it.

So is it confidence she needs or is she just being a typical mouthy GSD lol.

Its nice in one respect cos I know she loves me but it can be very frustrating when i can't go upstairs to the loo without her yelling. The others can get upstairs without her yelling but for me she waits at the gate protesting .

She is now 1 and I was hoping she would grow out of it but she is still mard lol

any tips?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Firstly how old is she?
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:34 PM
she is 1 now
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Ok so she is still a pup then. How about going back to basics with her. Try ignoring bad behaviour and rewarding when she does something good, like not barking You really have to be persistant though, any let up and she will just revert back. Hard work but worth it in the long run. Hope this helps. I'm sure someome on here will have more inspirations for you
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
also forgot to mention she follows me everywhere, even if she is asleep she gets up to see where I am going . Although she cant follow me upstairs as its gated. I know GSDs are a clingy breed but there has to be a limit lol
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't think it is a GSD trait, as none of mine have ever been like that. The breed does like all in the party to be accounted for and mine will range ahead and then come back to check I am still there. They also like to be able to see me but don't bark or yell when I go out of sight. They just watch for my return.

I think you probably need to build Zeita's confidence. I would firstly stop her following you around the house - ie when you go to the loo shut her in a room, or put her behind a babygate. Ignore her barky, attention-seeking behaviour and praise her when she is quiet. I would also personally stop her sleeping in the bedroom at least until you have conquered this problem.

It might be a good idea trying to distance yourself from her for a while - get someone else in the family to feed her, groom her, train her, exercise her etc if practicable. They do tend to be one person dogs and so can become obsessed by one person in the family and it sounds as though Zeita is obsessed by you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Tips? Yes, I think you'd better send her on down to Auntie H for a bit of pampering!!!!lOL!

If you can't do that then I think you've just got a bossy little madam on your hands there, not because she thinks she's top dog, it's just that they DO like to keep their beady little eyes on you no matter where you are, they feel it's their duty to protect you and watch over you, that's what I feel. The one I was closest too of course, was my dear Cassie, and she was just like that at around a year old, even though she was left just about everywhere when I rode out, be it in an empty stable, or the car, or with a friend, that was ok in her mind, but what wasn't ok, was the fact that if I WAS around or nearby, then she just had to keep an eye on me! The strangest thing with her though, was to move out to the middle of the field if I stopped to chat to anybody, or if I was poo picking the horse's field, she had to be right slap bang in the middle of wherever, sometimes miles away, but where she could see me!! For HER, that was better than being right by my side somehow, but I never quite figured it out! Lol!

I really don't know what to suggest here Mel, she obviously adores you ALL, and so has to look out for all of you! When you say about the boys being either up front or behind, you see, this is where she would HAVE to be in a place where she can see ALL Of you, whether that meant she was up front, (just checking out that there was no gremlins going to leap out on you!) or behind where the boys might be lagging, so that she could see them AND you. Oh it's all such a dilema for a poor little girl who is in love with so many peops. You know gsd's, you know how they are people dogs, you'll just have to work your way around this one I'm afraid!

A behaviourist or your vet would say you have to separate yourself more from her, but then why would you want to do that?????! I love the way they are, and I especially love this part about these dogs, although have to say again, my Cassie was the worst, because she was my constant shadow, whereas the others weren't quite that way with me.

Because you know these dogs so well, you'll also know how very vocal they are when they want YOU to do something!!! Lol!

Good luck, but there's always Auntie H if you get fed up with her constant attention! Lol! As IF!!!!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
A behaviourist or your vet would say you have to separate yourself more from her, but then why would you want to do that?????! I love the way they are, and I especially love this part about these dogs, although have to say again, my Cassie was the worst, because she was my constant shadow, whereas the others weren't quite that way with me.
I must be a behaviourist or vet then

Just had another thought, what training do you do with Zeita?
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
we do obedience and waiting for our next puppy agility to start
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Tips? Yes, I think you'd better send her on down to Auntie H for a bit of pampering!!!!lOL!

If you can't do that then I think you've just got a bossy little madam on your hands there, not because she thinks she's top dog, it's just that they DO like to keep their beady little eyes on you no matter where you are, they feel it's their duty to protect you and watch over you, that's what I feel. The one I was closest too of course, was my dear Cassie, and she was just like that at around a year old, even though she was left just about everywhere when I rode out, be it in an empty stable, or the car, or with a friend, that was ok in her mind, but what wasn't ok, was the fact that if I WAS around or nearby, then she just had to keep an eye on me! The strangest thing with her though, was to move out to the middle of the field if I stopped to chat to anybody, or if I was poo picking the horse's field, she had to be right slap bang in the middle of wherever, sometimes miles away, but where she could see me!! For HER, that was better than being right by my side somehow, but I never quite figured it out! Lol!

I really don't know what to suggest here Mel, she obviously adores you ALL, and so has to look out for all of you! When you say about the boys being either up front or behind, you see, this is where she would HAVE to be in a place where she can see ALL Of you, whether that meant she was up front, (just checking out that there was no gremlins going to leap out on you!) or behind where the boys might be lagging, so that she could see them AND you. Oh it's all such a dilema for a poor little girl who is in love with so many peops. You know gsd's, you know how they are people dogs, you'll just have to work your way around this one I'm afraid!

Because you know these dogs so well, you'll also know how very vocal they are when they want YOU to do something!!! Lol!

Good luck, but there's always Auntie H if you get fed up with her constant attention! Lol! As IF!!!!!!

lol thanks for the offer but i could never be without her.....I know its a typical GSD to be vocal but dear me lol. It sounds like we are trying to kill her lol . I love having her sleep in our room I have to admit (I know I am as daft as she is lol). But if it would help I would try it she is shut in the utility room when we go out so she is used to that room and has a crate in there which she uses sometimes. Its more the holidays when others might not appreciate the GSD ways lol......She is curled up on the settee with Zak now as if butter wouldn't melt lol
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >