16-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Hope Oscar makes a full recovery.......

It's not your fault *Hugs*

Thinking of you x
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Hope you get good news about Oscar tomorrow.
Try to get a good night's sleep before you make big decisions. What ever the outcome DON'T BLAME YOURSELF. Accidents happen and you've obviously given him all the love and care you could.
Let us know how he gets on.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Don't feel a failure hun, a failure would be someone who didn't care and you obviously do.

What he's done is no more than most dogs will do if they get hold of tablets, some being sugar coated is a temptation.

Hopefully tomorrow will be good news for you, and if after the shock your still in the frame of mind to re-home, a veterinary nurse sounds the perfect person.

My sympathies to you xxx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Fingers crossed for your boy
I wouldnt make any rash desicions att the moment - when he pulls through then see how you feel
So sorry, you must be feeling so rubbish - but its an accident
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Haven't really got anything new to say, everone one here has said what I have to say so sorry for the repeditive post.
You are not a bad dog mum and you are not a failure, sometimes it all gets too much, they can be such a worry sometimes and things happen that are not always thought of, as Nippy said, **** happens and I really think most of us have felt like we have stuffed up at one time or another with our dogs, we arent perfect that is the thing about being human.
Don't make any rash decisions while you are upset, stressed or anxious, let that pass and see how you feel, but keep in touch with the vets as the nurse may have come into your life at the right time and if you do decide he could have a better life somewhere else, then she sounds like she is a good place to start.
Stop beating yourself up, I hope you are having a good nights sleep and think about it again tomorrow.
I hope there is good news of your dog soon (that he is getting better)
Hugs to you
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Aligord View Post
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

We've tried a crate (and all the usual getting them used to it stuff) - he injured himself the first time he was alone in it.

In terms of issues, health wise he is atopic, has inflammatory bowel disease and other gastric problems. Behaviour wise it is mainly a fear problem. He won't walk past strangers (he dances on the end of the lead and has dislocated my shoulders/elbows several times), he won't go near anyone he doesn't know (this past week we've been with a friend cos my mum-in-law died and we had to go sort things out and he jumped their garden fence (about 5ft tall) and ran away because a neighbour walked past and the fence isn't solid so he saw them. He was running along a main road). It is nearly impossible to get him in a car or on a bus or in anything that moves. He gets so stressed. We can only leave him for really short periods as he gets stressed and whines.

Despite all that he is a really lovely dog with people he knows and very loving and gentle.

Just not sure what to think at the moment...
Poor boy, its such a shame im not nearer cos i would come & help you.

Whats he like with other dogs?

Now id never normally recommend getting another dog if people are having trouble with their first ...BUT..... I would seriously would think about adopting a older dog with no issues (maybe one whose owner Has died etc) to Show him how to behave, & give him confidence & company
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
seriously would think about adopting a older dog with no issues (maybe one whose owner Has died etc) to Show him how to behave, & give him confidence & company
Hi Ali, I'm sure I do remember you from dog club when you were up here and if I remember correctly your Husband does have a well behaved older dog.

I'm really sorry to hear about this and hope it somehow all works out for you.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 06:55 AM
What a horrid experience Will be keeping our fingers crossed your boy makes a full recovery. Its natural you have such thoughts, because you love him - but the wrong time to make any decisions when you're so upset. Everything will seem like a mountain right now. *hugs*
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 07:30 AM
So sorry to hear this, I know exactly how you're feeling as I had to rehome mine only last year. Fingers crossed that he makes it through the poisoning and that you can re-assess the situation with a clearer head.

Although you may feel he would be difficult to rehome there are some amazing people out there, I have first hand experience of this. (((hugs)))
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Any news on your lad? Hope everything is ok!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >