Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2014, 10:25 PM

Gabapentin

Does anyone have this prescribed for their dog?
Sadly, our Delyth died of her cancer shortly after being given a quantity of this drug and the vet wont take it back except for destruction. Let me know if we can help your dog instead.

Thalice's Mum
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Sorry you lost Delyth
Run free sweet girl xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Hi Maud, have you contacted rescues and offered it to them. I had just got a new supply of Vivitonin when Tawney passed away, like you vet wouldn't take it back. Someone suggested the RSPCA and they didn't want to know, but someone said to ring Bleakholt Animal Sanctuary because they had lots of elderly dogs in their care, and they were only too pleased to take it, and I donated it in Tawneys memory
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Some vets will take back unused medication - I know that my vet took back some AIDs that his then locum mistakenly prescribed for Pereg and I would not give her when I realised what they were. And Ram refunded the money.

But most rescue centres will usually be only too happy to take unused medication as long as they are in date. Even if they are only slightly out of date they will accept them because expiry dates are usually far earlier than they can be safely used.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Thank you all. Its not a common drug - I have kept the stuff that might come in useful for the others. I will try the local rescue - which is a cracking place doing sterling work. We have had 2 cats from them in the past.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Good luck and sorry about your girl. When I got my tonsils removed in the middle of an acute and severe tonsillitis infection, they gave me ten million bottles of liquid Codeine (which I was too scared to touch) to deal with the (horrible) pain. I have heard BAD stories about that drug, and refused to take any of it.

They would not take the drugs back, and though it is extremely illegal to sell the drugs, and unscrupulous to give them away, I knew they'd help someone. I couldn't bear to throw them out when people might have needed them.

I gave the unopened bottles to the local battered women's shelter, and they were very happy to take them for the beaten women who needed pain relief. Because there were people to distribute the drugs etc. to the people who lived and took refuge there, this ensured they were not mis-used and were only used to help people.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Good luck and sorry about your girl. When I got my tonsils removed in the middle of an acute and severe tonsillitis infection, they gave me ten million bottles of liquid Codeine (which I was too scared to touch) to deal with the (horrible) pain. I have heard BAD stories about that drug, and refused to take any of it.

They would not take the drugs back, and though it is extremely illegal to sell the drugs, and unscrupulous to give them away, I knew they'd help someone. I couldn't bear to throw them out when people might have needed them.

I gave the unopened bottles to the local battered women's shelter, and they were very happy to take them for the beaten women who needed pain relief. Because there were people to distribute the drugs etc. to the people who lived and took refuge there, this ensured they were not mis-used and were only used to help people.
What an admirable thing to do - I hate codeine too.