Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Please take a look at my menu...

Along with getting used to a new pup I am also feeding him a raw diet and gradually getting to grips with it.

As he is only 12 weeks old at the moment he is eating little and often so he is having 3 meals a day along with a small amount (handful) of Royal Canin French Bulldog Junior that he can nibble at in the night if he gets peckish. (I will phase this out in a couple months).

Every morning (8am) he gets thinly chopped chicken necks.

For lunch (1pm) and dinner (6pm) he gets mince.
(Beef/tripe/lamb/turkey - I rotate these and will probably add more meats soon).

For each pack of mince I add in a scoop each of Dorwest Keepers Mix and Easy-Green Powder. Every lunch time he also has one Garlic and Fenugreek tablet.

6 days out of 7 I also add a small portion of one of the following:
liver
kidney
heart
fish
probiotic yoghurt
cottage cheese

Does this look about right? Is there anything I could do to better it? All advise (or criticism) is welcome. Thanks.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by petitsfilous View Post
Along with getting used to a new pup I am also feeding him a raw diet and gradually getting to grips with it.

As he is only 12 weeks old at the moment he is eating little and often so he is having 3 meals a day along with a small amount (handful) of Royal Canin French Bulldog Junior that he can nibble at in the night if he gets peckish. (I will phase this out in a couple months).

(Beef/tripe/lamb/turkey - I rotate these and will probably add more meats soon).

For each pack of mince I add in a scoop each of Dorwest Keepers Mix and Easy-Green Powder. Every lunch time he also has one Garlic and Fenugreek tablet.

liver
kidney
heart
fish
probiotic yoghurt
cottage cheese

Does this look about right? Is there anything I could do to better it? All advise (or criticism) is welcome. Thanks.
Im not sure,it looks a lot of protein,if you look on the ingredients of complete dog food and see what the composition is on there list,look up on the web and try to match it to real food.Its like mine only eat Tripe and that come under potassium but have to mix with pasta rice which I suppose will come under cabrohydrates,but if you break down each ingredient on a good all in one dog food you should come out about right.I did find a book that did a table,but cant remember where crystalgirl
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Im not sure,it looks a lot of protein,if you look on the ingredients of complete dog food and see what the composition is on there list,look up on the web and try to match it to real food.Its like mine only eat Tripe and that come under potassium but have to mix with pasta rice which I suppose will come under cabrohydrates,but if you break down each ingredient on a good all in one dog food you should come out about right.I did find a book that did a table,but cant remember where crystalgirl
A raw diet is high in protein- but that's kind of the point Crystalgirl.

Petitfilous - there are lots of raw feeding guides on here that are helpful.

I too use Easy Green as I can't do with the hassle of pulping veg as well as not having enough space to store it, but I'm sure someone with experience of raw feeding a puppy will be along to help soon ( I didn't start Kibo on raw until he was about 6 months and then I was still alternating - wish I had raw fed from the beginning though )
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi crystalgirl, thanks for your feedback. The idea of feeding raw was to get away from complete foods so the idea of matching up the ingredients seems a bit pointless to me. If that were the case, I'd feed him complete

The idea of raw as I see it is to go back in time, before complete foods to what dogs in the wild would eat... other animals. If you go on the anatomy of an animal you have 80% meat/muscle, 10% bone and 10% offal. This is what I try to meet when providing meals with the added supplements here and there.
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
A raw diet is high in protein- but that's kind of the point Crystalgirl.

Petitfilous - there are lots of raw feeding guides on here that are helpful.

I too use Easy Green as I can't do with the hassle of pulping veg as well as not having enough space to store it, but I'm sure someone with experience of raw feeding a puppy will be along to help soon ( I didn't start Kibo on raw until he was about 6 months and then I was still alternating - wish I had raw fed from the beginning though )
Thank you Anniebee The breeder had him on raw from 9 weeks and he absolutely loves it. I'm so impressed with how firm his stools are as well! Obviously it's not great that sometimes he misses the newspaper and his poops land on the carpet but I don't mind because they leave no mess!!

I have seen some other threads on here and seen other peoples menus but as mine has been slightly different from anything I could find I wanted to post it up.

Crystalgirl - raw feeding is high in 'good' proteins as apposed to a lot of 'bad' proteins you can come across in cheaper complete foods. These 'bad' proteins can cause hyperactivity in dogs which leads people to believe they need to find a low protein diet when in fact all you need to do is switch to a good food which is high in meat content (good proteins)
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by petitsfilous View Post

liver
kidney
heart
fish
probiotic yoghurt
cottage cheese

That sounds fine to me. Obviously as he gets used to it then gradually add more variety with more bones, maybe start on chicken wings as the bones are soft.

I normally go by poops, if they are hard and he is struggling to pass them then add more offal. If they are loose and sloppy then add more bone. Some dogs can tolerate more offal or bone than others, you just have to get to know what suits your dog by trail and error.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2013, 01:22 PM
My Pug pup was raw fed from the day she came home and she had whatever the big uns wee having but cut up small enough to allow her to eat it within a reasonable amount of time. She had bite size bits of wings and carcasses and whatever mince or chunks the others had. I also gave bio yoghurt and a raw egg. Never had a dodgy poo from her either.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
That sounds fine to me. Obviously as he gets used to it then gradually add more variety with more bones, maybe start on chicken wings as the bones are soft.

I normally go by poops, if they are hard and he is struggling to pass them then add more offal. If they are loose and sloppy then add more bone. Some dogs can tolerate more offal or bone than others, you just have to get to know what suits your dog by trail and error.
Had I known about raw feeding none of my dogs would have ever had anything else! I did once have an article [including a video] of someone weaning three-week old Spinone pups on raw chicken wings, but alas it got lost during one of my computer changes. But these three-week old pups started by sucking at the wings and within a couple of weeks they just chombled the lot.

Pereg is raw fed but I no longer weigh everything for her. And she definitely has far more bone than the 80% meat 10% offal and 10% bone that some BARF recommendations suggest. She also has a lot of lightly steamed vegetables and now some well cooked whole grains.

I feed her according to what suits her, although if she had her "drothers" she would live on chicken wings, backs, carcases, turkey neck, and fresh sardines only!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Had I known about raw feeding none of my dogs would have ever had anything else! I did once have an article [including a video] of someone weaning three-week old Spinone pups on raw chicken wings, but alas it got lost during one of my computer changes. But these three-week old pups started by sucking at the wings and within a couple of weeks they just chombled the lot.

Pereg is raw fed but I no longer weigh everything for her. And she definitely has far more bone than the 80% meat 10% offal and 10% bone that some BARF recommendations suggest. She also has a lot of lightly steamed vegetables and now some well cooked whole grains.

I feed her according to what suits her, although if she had her "drothers" she would live on chicken wings, backs, carcases, turkey neck, and fresh sardines only!
Hi My older belgian terv has a sensitive tum,cant eat chicken,lamb,the only food she eats with Gusto is Tripe raw,but as she was under the vet because she wasnt gaining weight,I told him about the tripe,he said good but there is one rule of thumb,try and vary the diet,Tripe is high in potassium,so he said find some proteins and high carb,that she is comfortable with.minced meat she wont eat raw so cook a little.Its such a big subject,and everyone deals with it differantly my slant is feed what the dog enjoys and keeps them well.crystalgirl
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Looks good to me. The more variety the better. Can you get your hands on some pork too?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >