Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Should I feed him up?

Whilst at training the other night, and waiting for our assessments, I was talking to one of the other owners.

She shows golden retrievers, and travels all over to shows and also handles other peoples dogs.

She was saying that Max had a lovely head and conformation and temperament (which, of course, I know! )

She then asked me was he a good eater, as he was rather skinny. Actually her words were "God, you can see all his ribs, is he eating?"

She then quizzed me about what he ate and how much and how often.

Basically, Max has 3 meals a day of CSJ Champ!, he eats up to, but not over the recommended daily allowance. He never seems hungry and sometimes doesn't eat all his food.

Of course, he runs around like a mad thing most of the time, being a Boxer.

But he's been to the vet a few times in the last month, and they've weighed him as routine and they've never said anything!

I'm a bit worried now that he's too skinny
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2007, 11:25 AM
I would leave Max to fill out at his own pace. He is still young and it can take until boxers are 2 or 3 to mature. As long as the vet is happy I would not worry.

I have the same problem with Finn and he is nearly 3.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 11:26 AM
How old is he? As some youngsters do struggle to keep weight on - how much can you see his ribs? they should be covered but not protruding?

A good weight gainer is adding some tripe with his meal?

As you say they can be so energetic that it is hard to keep the weight on them.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I'd leave him to fill out at his own pace. For some reason, particularly some sections of the gundog fraternity, they would rather have fat dogs
My Boxer Harvey didn't fill out until he was 4 years old but I never worried about him. It is healthier for them to be on the lean side of normal.
Becky
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 12:32 PM
I would let him mature at his own rate... Jamie was exactly the same, beautiful mature head and skinny body... and I can't overfeed the boy, despite trying Now he is really getting there, actually the breeder said he was perfect weight and do not allow him to put on anymore.. I said does that mean he's fat? He said no, just right!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Any vet (as opposed to a show judge) would rather see a dog on the lean side anyday!!! Don't take any notice, if you're feeding him right, he's not hungry, you must be doing it right. An athletic horse is never well covered, it always looks like a hat rack because it's so fit, and your dog sounds fit, well and happy. If you're truly worried why don't you post up a piccy and you'll get some good advice as to whether he looks right or not for his age? Always someone isn't there!!! I know what I'd rather have in a young dog in preparation for it's old age!!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 04:02 PM
100% agree, I am sure your vet would have voiced concerns if they thought he was underweight.

Dogs are better off on the lean side rather than carrying podge around their hearts! Some show-dogs I've seen you'd have to use a drill to feel their ribs!!!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Max looks fine the way he is!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 05:14 PM
ignore her - max is a perfect weight (imo), boxers are built to carry less than retrievers etc. if there was a problem the vet would have commented. and also as mentioned they take longer to broaden and fill out. he can have an extra hug from me though!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 05:25 PM
max looks ok to me , id leave him to fill out as hye is still young ,my skye used to look like a peace of string with chicken legs attached and she has filled out fine , she is nearly four xxdk
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >